Engineer Mode W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
Quick question,
I had a look at the cluster display in engineer mode as per another post on here -

Select Total mileage
set ign 1
touch reset x 3 quickly

It then displays voltage, vin number and then OM611 - any idea what OM611 means ?

Cheers
Adam

Thats what I was thinking it meant but it shouldn't be??

The car is 6 months old. I thought the latest was the OM646?
The engine number on the logbook is 646963

The ECU number is A6461505091, 15.02.07 - taken from a label on the ECU itself.

Is the data in the cluster entered manually or read from somewhere else ??

Cheers
Adam

The coding needs to be changed on the cluster as it "thinks" it has a different engine. Nothing major. A dealer can do it for you.

Read the whole engine number - it is listed and see if it's different from that on the V5 . I would be asking a lot of questions - why should a new car need to be coded? Wouldn't the cluster read the engine number from the ECU ?

Ditto on the coding its nothing major and simple enough to change.

Coding errors from the factory happen more often than you would think, I've seen it loads of times.

In fact on my own SLK the add oil at next refueling message kept popping up, i checked everything i could think of even down to verifying the function of the sensor when removed from the car when everything came back fine i decided to just shotgun it and found the CGW was not correctly coded.

Few adjustments and the warning have been kept in check

Ditto on the coding its nothing major and simple enough to change.

Coding errors from the factory happen more often than you would think, I've seen it loads of times.

In fact on my own SLK the add oil at next refueling message kept popping up, i checked everything i could think of even down to verifying the function of the sensor when removed from the car when everything came back fine i decided to just shotgun it and found the CGW was not correctly coded.

Few adjustments and the warning have been kept in check

Where does the cluster "read" it's data from? Local memory in the cluster or from the ECU ?

Read the whole engine number - it is listed and see if it's different from that on the V5 . I would be asking a lot of questions - why should a new car need to be coded? Wouldn't the cluster read the engine number from the ECU ?

Happens all the time.

The coding has to be checked at PDI but seldom is as it is very long winded.

Where does the cluster "read" it's data from? Local memory in the cluster or from the ECU ?

The basic info is stored in EEPROM and then it pulls in whatever else it needs from CAN either directly from its connections to the B & C networks or via the central gateway routing function depending on the data requested.

From itself and via CAN

Ditto.

I think i must be having a slow day today.

Well, I popped in to get a print out of options fitted to my car and to query if I had a particulate filter or not so I asked them what it meant.

They told me it has nothing to do with the engine model, it is actually the 1st 5 digits of the oil filter code ?!

Anyone else with a W203 646 engine care to check for me some time...

They had a quick check on my vehicle, from their system - no link to the car.

How does their system know I changed the headlight bulbs - I didn't have any faults come up for them, I just replaced them for those phillips brighter ones !

Cheers
Adam

So what actually thinks it is a 611 then - the ECU or just the display ?

Reason I ask is that I have now tried to fit two different Carlsson C-Tronic units to my ECU. These are designed for the 646 model, the 611 uses a C-Tronic with a different part number. Both units have failed to work and as far as I am aware Carlsson Germany haven't found a problem with them.

I know the C-Tronic is a clever unit, could it also think the car is a 611 ?

Cheers
Adam

Just the display, the ECU is fine.

As far as i am aware these drop in units sit upstream of the ECU so it would not have access to the CANBUS i.e It has no way of knowing what engine its connected to.

With the Carlson unit you unplug the 2 original male ecu connections, plug in the Carlsson adapter in its place, then the original connections plug back into the top of the adapter. Makes it alot taller, hence a pain in the neck to get the fuse box cover back on !!

It takes readings from various sensors and only actually operates when the engine is between 65 - 105 C. Any other problems it picks up will also cause it to shut down.

If you rekon the OM611 info is not in the ECU then I guess that isn't the problem. Thinking about it, didn't they use a different manufacture ECU ? - If so I guess the connections were probably different as well.

Cheers
Adam

I'm positive the ECU is fine in fact mate you kinda answered your own question when you quoted the info from the case of the ECU.

Quick question,
I had a look at the cluster display in engineer mode as per another post on here -

Select Total mileage
set ign 1
touch reset x 3 quickly

It then displays voltage, vin number and then OM611 - any idea what OM611 means ?

Cheers
Adam
Have just done the same on mine and the info displayed is the same as in all my documentation. I have an extra menu though - "ESP Roll. Dynam. Test" with 2 options that I can change. 1 = on 2 = set 15 min (I'm guessing this will then change up or down).

What is this all about?

I believe it is for settings to be used when the car is on a rolling road, alters the ESP & ABS etc.

Not to be used for normal road use, best leave as is.

Russ

I believe it is for settings to be used when the car is on a rolling road, alters the ESP & ABS etc.

Not to be used for normal road use, best leave as is.

Russ
Fair enough. Ta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom