Engineering help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi all

I've had a bit of a disaster with one of my bikes ( like a few others on here , I like my old bikes )

Long story short , I've lost the bits off one cantilever that hold the brake pad in place. The cantilevers are NLA nor the parts for them , and people sell them as sets on eBay for big money.

So , wondering if the power of the forum can help please ?

I know a few of you on here are engineers , or have home model making setups with lathes and things.

If I sent you a set of the pieces ( from the other brake ) would anyone be able to copy them please ? I have no idea if it is difficult , easy or even if it's do-able but perhaps someone can advise ? Of have a go ;) , beer vouchers are available for anyone who helps :)

The pieces aren't big , smaller than a penny

Pictures attached , the last one shows it in situ.

Last edited:
How did you manage that! No guarantees, as I don't even know what I've got, but I will have a rummage in the old spares drawer tomorrow.

Is it M732 Xt?

Was fiddling with it the other day , forgot to tighten the nut on the back , just did it finger tight.

Guess the shaking while riding has made it drop off somewhere ( front brake , I tend not to use it , mainly use the back so didn't notice until I got home )

Brakes are Deore XT BR-M734 if you've got some lol

I've tried loads of other bits off other sets of cantis both in my box of bits and the bike shops box of bits and nothing fits. Shimano were crafty buggers back in the day , every part was different , nothing seems to be interchangeable. Lol

Thanks

Off my old 1991 Marin Bear Valley

God me too !

Also got a 1990 Team Marin , a 1993 GT Bravado and just bought a 93 Stumpjumper frame for my spring project ;)

God me too !

Also got a 1990 Team Marin , a 1993 GT Bravado and just bought a 93 Stumpjumper frame for my spring project ;)

Got a 1990 Kona Explosif project, 1991 Kona Fire Mountain, 1991 Klein Attitude and an 1994 AMP B3 project, and about to sell a 1993 Specialized FSR S-Works project. Need to thin the herd!

Nice , I remember riding my dads mates Attitude in about 1991 , he left it unchained outside a shop and it disappeared :( was a lovely bike.

His was the pink/white/green version. Loved the little quirky bits , cables inside frame, the way the stem and bars were all one piece.

1990's Thorn Club Tour (think it is a 620S). Hoping to start using her again this year.

Have you tried contacting Marin themselves, they're just off Sedlescombe Road North in St Leonards, Hastings. We used to live close enough to shop there, in total bought 4 bikes, all new, at very acceptable prices - 2 for son after first one got nicked in Brighton, 1 for daughter and 1 for me - a Bobcat Trail that's not seen use for about 6 years now.

Marin Bikes | St Leonards-On-Sea | Cycle Manufacturers and Wholesalers

They aren't standard fit , I put them on years ago. :(

Have you tried contacting Marin themselves, they're just off Sedlescombe Road North in St Leonards, Hastings. We used to live close enough to shop there, in total bought 4 bikes, all new, at very acceptable prices - 2 for son after first one got nicked in Brighton, 1 for daughter and 1 for me - a Bobcat Trail that's not seen use for about 6 years now.

Marin Bikes | St Leonards-On-Sea | Cycle Manufacturers and Wholesalers

The trouble is new old stock XT and XTR get hunted and has all been in the hands of regular users and hoarders for a long time. Its the crack of the bike world and people will do bad things to get it!:eek:

Cycleman in Ashford have loads of bits in the back room. They'll happily rummage if they think there's a chance of success.

Oooo , they aren't far , I'll get down there next week :)

That is absolutely brilliant news James !

Thank you so much !

Without wanting to push it too far , could you ask him if he's got the little black nut that holds it all in place too lol

That fell off too :fail

Well , just to wrap this up. A little parcel arrived from Hungary yesterday , containing the missing bits I needed for my brake cantilever !

Power of the forum again , is there anything that can't be sorted out by someone on here ?

Cheers James :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom