Engineering The Maximum Speed Of Vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
How I love my car and it's performance, along with the numerous bikes and superbikes I've owned over the years :thumb:.

However, I do wonder why manufacturers produce vehicles that can go twice the speed limit (and more for some cars/countries).

The "power to get me out of trouble" argument doesn't really explain why mine is "restricted" to 186mph :dk:.

Similarly, the track day logic only applies to a few.

Other than some stretches of autobahn in Germany (and perhaps some countries I've missed) there are limits set almost worldwide.

So, what do you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Last edited:
I agree it does seem daft. I suppose it's more a case of giving you a top gear (or two) where you can cruise more economically at lower revs.

I always remember in years gone by that I would look at the revs when doing (say) 70 and if the red line was twice those revs it would logically do 140.

Except it didn't have the power to overcome wind resistance so wouldn't - but now they have so much more power it becomes more feasible :bannana:

I suppose it's similar to the way that we humans are "engineered" to be capable of far more than most of us ever get close to achieving. It means that throughout our lives we rarely if ever approach our limits, thereby reducing strain and improving longevity. F1 cars are pushed right up to their limits nearly all the time, which is why they only last a few hundred miles (at best!)

Demand

That's the simple answer. We want to own cars which are capable of doing far more than we actually require. Even people who aren't "into" cars. The further the car is from it's limits during normal operation then generally the "better" the car will feel to the driver...

...assuming it's not extreme, which then affects drivability every day.

My first car had 70 BHP which with the exception of very large cars is bang on what's required to hit the magical 100 MPH. It had performance to spare whether accelerating from rest or at 70 MPH, but each car I've bought since progressively is increasingly powerful.

Who does every manufacturer have a 4x4 model, with hill descent, hi-lo ratio, locking diff, sump guard, and tested in the Australian Outback or the Gobi Desert, when 99.99% of Volvo XC90 or BMW X5 cars will never ever be driven off-road?

I suppose it is because the Knightsbridge-based owner of the new Rangie wants to know the he *could* drive his car to the top of the Kilimajaro if only he wanted to, which he clearly doesn't, because there is no Harrods there.

markjay said:
Who does every manufacturer have a 4x4 model, with hill descent, hi-lo ratio, locking diff, sump guard, and tested in the Australian Outback or the Gobi Desert, when 99.99% of Volvo XC90 or BMW X5 cars will never ever be driven off-road? .
Don't know what you mean, I see them off-road every day. Well half off road, anyway, two wheels up on the pavement outside school when dropping the little darlings off.............

Power figures, speed and performance are still heavily used selling tools. Just like sex.

Aa, so thats why there's such a high demand for rampant rabbits and duracell extreme batteries, ;)

Perhaps top end speed is a byproduct of quick acceleration, which we all want/need irrespective of speed limits??

Add to that, the fact that cars are getting heavier therefore the need for ever more powerful engines.

Last edited:
Add to that, the fact that cars are getting heavier therefore the need for ever more powerful engines.

I would be inclined to disagree with this.

Every year, the manufacturers come up with either new materials which are lighter - yet stronger, or how to replace body and engine parts with some light compounds, which are cheap to built and cheap to replace.

Also, the cars are getting bigger to keep up with the size of the occupants ;)

The very same question raises it's head every now and again in the bike world and my argument is the same; larger more powerful bikes are much safer than the small twist and scoot…………

Because of all the power, suspension, brakes, frames, etc etc all have to be up to it. Repeatedly. The net result is a much better ride with lots of reserve of HANDLING, BRAKING and COMFORT, making them safer for normal use.

So thank F the weary willies are being given two fingers by manufacturers and long may it continue.

PS Weary willie= EU bureaucrats and anyone else who would have us all be as sanctimonious and as beige as themselves.

Interesting.
And I would say it is just to sell cars. Pub banter... My car is faster than yours etc. With track days and top speed days becoming so very popular now, there are real opportunities to go way over 70mph on a regular basis.

On the topic of 4x4s, SUVs and the like, my best mate has a VW Touareg for his Mrs. They catagorically never go off road and didn't buy it for that. They bought it because she likes and feels more comfortable with the higher driving postion beacause she can see more, and it is much easier to fit baby in the baby seat because it is higher, and it's big enough for all the baby clobber. Makes sense.

By the way Developer, I love your car. I want it. Best car at BOTG in May...

On the topic of 4x4s, SUVs and the like, my best mate has a VW Touareg for his Mrs. They catagorically never go off road and didn't buy it for that. They bought it because she likes and feels more comfortable with the higher driving postion beacause she can see more, and it is much easier to fit baby in the baby seat because it is higher, and it's big enough for all the baby clobber. Makes sense.

It doesn't really. There are other vehicles that give a high seating position and lots of interior space but with better handling and fuel economy (most MPVs for example, e.g. the VW Sharan instead of a Touareg). The reality is that people generally buy SUVs because they like the image/styling (which is OK by me, btw).

Last edited:
It doesn't really. There are other vehicles that give a high seating position and lots of interior space but with better handling and fuel economy (most MPVs for example, e.g. the VW Sharan instead of a Touareg). The reality is that people generally buy SUVs because they like the image/styling (which is OK by me, btw).

I disagree. She isn't bothered by the handling, or image, (no more than normal people anyway). It has way more space than a Sharan or the like, and the rear seats are much higher when loading said baby. My sister has a Touran, and really the seats aren't much higher than a regular hatch, and the boot space isn't too great.

Anyway, that's off topic.
Cars that do 186mph are fine in my book.:rock:

Last edited:
My in-laws have a new Sharan (replaced their R Class) and it's got a lot of room - we fitted six people and four Border Collies in for a day out! The Touran is much smaller (Golf based?).

Sadly neither of them will do 186 mph, although the Brabus V8 Viano did 152 (limited, IIRC due to the tyres) which isn't too shoddy :D

Yeah, Touran is golf floor pan i believe.

Brabus Viano?! holy crap. This gets me thinking.. 113 engine... rusty vito... hmmm...!

By the way Developer, I love your car. I want it. Best car at BOTG in May...

Sorry, I missed that - can you just repeat it again?...........:D

Only kidding, that's very kind of you :thumb:.

Brabus Viano?! holy crap.

Yup not sure how many they actually sold, but it was 426 bhp and 0-62 in 6.2. 6 litre V8 - it's cramped enough with the V6 CDI under the bonnet!

AFAIK Brabus just do tuned versions of the petrol V6 now (to special order).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom