English to German

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
What do the germans call a tailgate. I know I can do na online translation of that word, but not sure if they actually call it that or something else.

I believe it's Hecktür, which is basically the rear door, so not a boot lid as as such.

The boot I believe is Kofferraum, and the boot lid is Heckdeckel meaning 'rear lid'.

Last edited:
EPC notes it as "Tuer Rohbau" which is listed under the section Rueckwandtuer (Door shell and Rear Panel Door respectively in english version)

Last edited:
Heckklappe

EPC notes it as "Tuer Rohbau" which is listed under the section Rueckwandtuer (Door shell and Rear Panel Door respectively in english version)

Indeed it is - see A210 740 03 05 and A210 740 03 05

But Heckklappe is also common name for it.

Mrs BTB reckons Heckklappe for a bootlid (saloon), and Hecktüre for tailgate (estate). She's only a girlie, mind ...

She says Rohbau is something like skin or shell (depending on context).

Mrs BTB reckons Heckklappe for a bootlid (saloon), and Hecktüre for tailgate (estate). She's only a girlie, mind ...

She says Rohbau is something like skin or shell (depending on context).

That's what EPC translates it as. The literal translation of the EPC section Back wall door ;)

Hecktüre sounds more everyday use though

That's what EPC translates it as. The literal translation of the EPC section Back wall door ;)

Hecktüre sounds more everyday use though

No it doesn't, Rohbau means shell, ie the bare panel without locks, glass etc.

Heckklappe is a tail gate, Hecktüre is more likely to be used for a rear door as fitted to a van. You also occasionally see kofferraumklappe.

No it doesn't, Rohbau means shell, ie the bare panel without locks, glass etc.

Heckklappe is a tail gate, Hecktüre is more likely to be used for a rear door as fitted to a van. You also occasionally see kofferraumklappe.

Yes, exactly what EPC states...

For the saloon boot lid

I have it on good authority from Mrs Burger (a German national) that the common name is Heckklappe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom