Enhance some more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wasted

Car
SL55AMG
Hi detailing experts!
I am using some enhancer to try and remove swirls. I've worked half the boot lid on an SL, for about 30 minutes and you can see the results so far. The coat is much smoother and giving a richer reflection. However, there are still swirls.
Do I just keep going?

Attachments

• DSC01064.jpg
    DSC01064.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC01069.JPG
    DSC01069.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 199
I don't know the answer, but I am interested to know which product you are using?

I have paint corrected 5 SL's now and the paint on all were like concrete. You will get no where at all with a d.a. so stick to the rotary. On these I hit them with a lake country wool pad and scholl concepts S3. Then polish with a lake country yellow cutting pad and s17. Then refine with a lake country red ultra soft finishing pad with ultrafina se.

This was done with the same method:

19.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

1_0.jpg

167802_108584449219061_5673272_n.jpg

Have just finished this MBClub members SL this week. Will have a full write up which should help you on your travels:

467000_314081105336060_100002025207572_680047_2139863305_o.jpg

Awesome results guys, I am inspired to continue with my efforts. I am using a Das pro with the so us 5inch pads. I will try using restore before going back to enhancing then.

I used the restorer pad and Sonus polish a few times and then switched to the enhancer before applying finishing polish. All standard for you guys, but a voyage of discovery for me.
There are a few deeper swirl marks and a scratch left on the boot, but I'll leave that for a professional. Pretty happy with the overall impression, as it has brought back the black and the metalic finish.
Made a start on the bonnet.

Attachments

• DSC01071.JPG
    DSC01071.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01072.JPG
    DSC01072.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 146
I have paint corrected 5 SL's now and the paint on all were like concrete.

I never understand this as Mercedes paint is supposed to be so hard yet it scratches and swirls just as easily as any other car. Whats the point in hard paint if it doesn't offer any extra protection?

Last edited:
I never understand this as Mercedes paint is supposed to be so hard yet it scratches and swirls just as easily as any other car. Whats the point in hard paint if it doesn't offer any extra protection?

The harder paint certainly is more resistant to fine scratching and wash marring. If you took the same washing technique and products, and the circumstances were the same for say a Honda and a Merc, the Merc would be much better off and even after just 3 or 4 washes. Infact, it only takes one really 'bad' wash to damage a cars paintwork. The local £5 hand car wash and those machines are the worst culprits. Either can totally ruin fully corrected paintwork in minutes. :(

The £5 one at my local Sainsburys (Cromwell Road) have mastered the art of not scratching a car, took them a while though!

The harder paint certainly is more resistant to fine scratching and wash marring. If you took the same washing technique and products, and the circumstances were the same for say a Honda and a Merc, the Merc would be much better off and even after just 3 or 4 washes. Infact, it only takes one really 'bad' wash to damage a cars paintwork. The local £5 hand car wash and those machines are the worst culprits. Either can totally ruin fully corrected paintwork in minutes. :(

Interesting. I spoke to Polished Bliss when buying a load of stuff and they told me it doesn't make any difference where washing and damaging is concerned and judging by the amount of swirls I have I believed them. Of course I dont know how it washed within the 4 years someone else had it but it does make sense that it would be more resistant to damage.

Try Britemax #4 Black Max on that one - ultra fine polishing pad glaze.

Polished the last of the discolouration out of the headlamp lenses with that, worked well on my scratched up spectacles too. Optical finish.
It is incredibly fine, removes "4500 grit" marks but has a surprising amount of cut too, so don't over-do it.

Interesting. I spoke to Polished Bliss when buying a load of stuff and they told me it doesn't make any difference where washing and damaging is concerned and judging by the amount of swirls I have I believed them. Of course I dont know how it washed within the 4 years someone else had it but it does make sense that it would be more resistant to damage.

I have found from personal experience that the harder paints resist wash damage better than the soft paint. Whilst yours might be particularly bad, I can say from experience that I have done work for Honda owners who are really keen enthusiasts and use grit guards, fresh wash mitts every 5 or 6 washes etc and they still inflict damage on their woefully soft paint - yet I have had BMW's and Merc's in which have sometimes had the odd supermarket hand wash, and whose owners aren't particularly fussy with their washing technique and the paintwork has looked just the same or better than someone with soft paint who has taken extra care. :dk:

There's no right or wrong answer I think, as it's all subjective. You may go ploughing through muddy fields in your car and wash it off with a brush, whereas the dude with the Honda just gets a few light scratches from every day dirt he washes off once a week. Ultimately, the majority of damage occurs during the wash stage, so it boils more down to technique than it does paint type I guess..

I've now finished by using the Sonus sealant. Wow, that is a boring name for an awesome product! The finish is so smooth and slippery with a deeper black than before. Am I correct to leave that as the final finish, or should I apply a wax layer for weather protection?
What should I apply after the weekly wash to maintain the finish as long as possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom