enjoying SL500 after disability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oddbod

Car
volvo 850
I became paraplegic (not the drunk sort) after an accident last year. I will get some compensation in the next year or two.

After a recent change in the law, wheelchair users who need to have a car adapted in some way, no longer have to pay vat on new cars.

These two things combine to give me the rare opportunity to drive and own some fantastic cars, without it costing a penny!

example, Porsche 911 turbo, list price £89,386, minus 14.89%, equals £76,076.42, a saving of £13,309.58. If iI sell it after a year at the parkers trade price of £80,395, that will leave almost 4 grand, which should be more than enough for fitting and then decommissioning hand controls, insurance, fuel, travel sweets and probably the odd speeding fine!

I was wanting to know if anyone has any idea about SL500 or 55 AMG residules and or waiting lists and how to avoid them, as I may be able to fit a wheelchair in the car, and they are red hot of course.

Check residuals very very carefully !!

My brother in law bought a S/H 911 Carerra4 with very low miles and FPSH for £55k

18 months later - and still very low mileage, with no faults or marks - ie still the same car - they offered him £36k back on it!

He will never have another Porker !

Mark

Its always the current model that commands a premium nearly new as people want to avoid the queue's for a new one. As soon as they facelift the car or bring out a new model the existing model won't be in so much demand.

I think the only way to avoid the queue at the moment would be to pay a premium on any of those cars. No-one knows what the market will be like in a year and whether there will be such a short supply and big demand.

Originally posted by oddbod
I became paraplegic (not the drunk sort) after an accident last year. I will get some compensation in the next year or two.

After a recent change in the law, wheelchair users who need to have a car adapted in some way, no longer have to pay vat on new cars.

I was wanting to know if anyone has any idea about SL500 or 55 AMG residules and or waiting lists and how to avoid them, as I may be able to fit a wheelchair in the car, and they are red hot of course.

Hi oddbod,

My late stepdad was wheelchairbound for his last couple of years, so I had to find out about VAT exemptions for him.

He used to love his motors (BMW's!) but ended up in a Renault Kangoo that had been adapted, poor bugger. Still, he was happy as Larry to be out & about again.

Anyway, there's a summary of the law from Customs & Excise here.

Servicing is also exempt!

The problem - where to find one of the cars you fancy is not made any easier for you because it has to be adapted before you buy it. Don't ask me why, but you can't buy it, get it adapted and then get the VAT back.

I guess you will therefore have to find a supplier who will do the adaptation; if I were you I would try e-mailing a few MB dealers to see if they can help you; or maybe firms who do adaptations to see if they can source one.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Hi oddbod,

Just thought I would say welcome to our site. :)

I have a volvo 850 estate at the moment. useful but a little bland. my dad has a nice black E 260 that looks great.

Originally posted by oddbod
I have a volvo 850 estate at the moment. useful but a little bland. my dad has a nice black E 260 that looks great.

Preparing for some stick, but I quite like Volvo's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom