EQC Battery Rang really bad or is it me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect that as fast chargers proliferate and more vehicles capable of using them come on the market that evidence of their frequent use will show to have a deliterious effect on long term battery life? In ICE terms ---- just because your car will rev to 6,500 rpm----- constantly "redlining" it will inevitably shorten engine life?

@Chris-S I see. It's a shame an equivalent tool like LeafSpy isn't available for MB owners/prospective owners. The only way to get battery health checked is via a dealer, right?
I thought that the battery modules could be accessed via iCarsoft, but when I tried using mine, it didn’t seem to work...or perhaps I just wasn’t using it properly! Maybe I’ll have another go one day...

But, I think the proper test does an actual charge/discharge to measure actual energy capacity.

I suspect that as fast chargers proliferate and more vehicles capable of using them come on the market that evidence of their frequent use will show to have a deliterious effect on long term battery life? In ICE terms ---- just because your car will rev to 6,500 rpm----- constantly "redlining" it will inevitably shorten engine life?
Tesla have done some “management” of rapid charging on some cars for this reason haven‘t they?

@SMS EV technology is evolving so rapidly, I think it's unwise at this point to "buy" any EV for long term ownership. Hence, so many are leasing (or company cars) or taking out a PCP deal and handing back after 2-3 years.

Some EVs might retain value quite well, but for a lot of EVs, depreciation will be savage as battery tech improves year after year and new models are launched from a variety of manufacturers.

We won't know until 5-10 years time whether EQC batteries have a relatively high rate of failure/degredation. Until then, customers are relying upon the assurance of the warranty provided by MB.

Yes, there are stories about the expensive cost of replacing a MB Hybrid battery, but apart from stories, what data is there? i.e. Out of all the MB hybrids sold in the UK, what proportion have needed a replacement hybrid battery (either within warranty or outside warranty)? I'm really curious to see that data, if you or anyone else is able to provide. Unless we have that hard data, we are basing our opinions on stories that may well not represent the actual ownership experience across ALL MB hybrids.
I’m just a small mb indie and we have seen a few hybrids with low battery life faults.
I know it makes sense to lease an EV but where do they end up after the initial 3 year lease?

I have been driving the EQC for about 18 months, I unfortunately do not have the D Auto function but do use the paddles, it has taken me some time to realise the true function of what the regen system does and how you can use that most efficiently. At first I was selecting D-- for all my driving, enjoying the 1 pedal driving that that can deliver, but after reading an article about the braking system I now know that this is inefficient, might have been too obvious, but it's not clearly explained!!

When you brake lightly it does not apply the braking system, it only selects D-, (and D-- for slightly harder brake, a further push is needed to engage the system, remember that an EV does not have engine vacuum to 'power' the brakes), which means that if you drive normally with these selected you are effectively driving with the brakes on, in reality using one motor to charge the other which is not particularly efficient. I now try to actively use the paddles in the way that D Auto does (I think, not having experienced it) selecting D+ for accelerating, D for cruising and the D-'s for braking, doing this actively does return a higher Kw/m. I you cant be bothered using the paddles I do suggest leaving it in the default D, it returns better efficiency overall.

After my initial problems with the car I now just enjoy the wonder of it, cutting edge comfort and performance only insane AMG ICE models deliver other than top speed, but if you drive over 100mph on our roads on a regular basis you need to have a close look at yourself :oops: , before Mr Plod does.

With home charging and workplace (the solution) charging combined with my mileage needs the car is perfect, just trying to work out how I could justify buying the new EQS next, but that would mean doing the lottery again :(
All EQC’s have D Auto 😂

I’m just a small mb indie and we have seen a few hybrids with low battery life faults.
I know it makes sense to lease an EV but where do they end up after the initial 3 year lease?
Probably scrapped, as there is no point actually owning an electric vehicle once the warranty is up, have you seen how much they cost to repair in parts and labour!

Reactions: SMS
Agree it makes sense to lease at current rates given the big risk individuals would otherwise take on the resale value. That said, clearly the lessors or their insurers are confident on the resale values, or else they wouldn't be offering the very good rates we are currently seeing on the market. I guess the 2030 ICE phase out more or less guarantees a strong second market for EVs with good battery guarantees (EQC is eight year guarantee).

Warranty​

Mercedes offers a three-year/unlimited-mileage warranty on all its new cars, while the EQC’s batteries are warrantied for eight years or 160,000 kilometres (which is just under 100,000 miles). Mercedes will also replace or refurbish the 80kWh lithium-ion batteries if they fall to below 70% of their as-new performance within that battery warranty period.

Last edited:
Hi all, fist time post here so here goes and please let me know if its in the wrong section......

Been lucky enough to have just picked up a new 2020 EQC in the last 2 weeks with 8 miles on the clock and as the instruction manual says, best to charge to 80% to try to maintain battery life. Bit crap i thought if we need to start down that road but thought ok lets see what we get at that level of charge. Driving is 10 miles on the school run with country roads and using the regeneration D minus, minus rather than brakes with no hard acceleration and i mean none as you simply cant with all the twists and narrow roads. So given we dont want to run the battery down anything less than 30 miles and the car starts moaning at you from under 40, we charge it from around the 30 ish level. This allows us 2 full school trips and so circa 40 miles in total over two days before another charge to 80%. On an 80% charge it says we have around 145 miles from the start. Bit naff i thought so the wife needed to go further today and so we charged it fully to see and also to give her some peace of mind. Well, fully charged showed 225 miles and yet by the time she got 2 miles down the road it was showing 160 miles. There is no AC being used or heated seats and or demist. Just heating on 22 degrees. So im thinking is the weather at plus 4 degrees really the issue here or do we have a problem. This car is supposed to do around 250 and i know it will never do that, but though we would at least get 200. At this rate and from what i have seen, we seem to be around 120 miles if we are lucky. Any thoughts or other EQC experiences out there and thanks........
your description verifies everyones concerns about electric vehicles.

your description verifies everyones concerns about electric vehicles.
A lot of this is a misunderstanding of what is meant by "range". It's true that if you do lots of short trips in the cold the total mileage achieved across all those trips by the battery will be low. That matters a bit - you'll pay a bit more for electricity. But it doesn't indicate how far the car will go on a long trip - that will be much longer and more efficient because it only has to heat up once. My implied range in lockdown (mainly nursery trips) was about 105 miles. But it did London to Sheffield reasonably easily.

As above, the range is a "guess" based on the inputs available to the car, the further you go the more accurate it will become.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom