EQC - Engine cover part deleted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_B

Car
ML63 AMG, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Aston Martin DBS Volante & Triumph Rocket 3
Well after a week of ownership, I looked under the bonnet, and discovered a distinct lack of tidyness…no engine cover.
Dealer has reported back by text saying it was removed on EQC range due to ‘not enough cooling’.
Can anyone else concur?

Difficult to say as its MB recommended removal may be region/climate dependant? Try asking other owners locally?
correction

8bcf08ab-mercedes-eqc-03.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult to say as its MB recommended removal may be region/climate dependant? Try asking other owners locally?
correction

8bcf08ab-mercedes-eqc-03.jpg
Thanks for the reply grober.
I think it looks a mess and unfinished without the cover and not what you’d expect from the brand. But, more importantly, I’d be interested to know if there have been any overheating issues on this model that fits with the narrative of why it’s now a deleted part?
It rarely gets above 28 degrees during the summer in NZ, so if it’s having issues here then it’s likely to have issues elsewhere if it’s climate related.

Attachments

• B6A5A660-E12C-4E72-941F-BC67C51A1F57.jpeg
    B6A5A660-E12C-4E72-941F-BC67C51A1F57.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the reply grober.
I think it looks a mess and unfinished without the cover and not what you’d expect from the brand. But, more importantly, I’d be interested to know if there have been any overheating issues on this model that fits with the narrative of why it’s now a deleted part?
It rarely gets above 28 degrees during the summer in NZ, so if it’s having issues here then it’s likely to have issues elsewhere if it’s climate related.
Maybe they concluded that the “bonnet” or “hood” is only lifted during service and so it doesn’t need to look pretty. The “engine cover” adds unnecessary cost and weight, and it adds time to service operations,

My EQC (UK version) doesn't have an engine cover. This was stopped in the UK last year I believe. Colleagues with a '70 plate (2020) doesn't have it either.

Mercedes have had problems with their powertrain cooling systems. The EQC uses motors made by ZF and the big cast assembly sat on top of the front motor [most often used in normal running] is its inverter I believe. Removing the cover may afford this unit additional cooling. Indications are that Mercedes intend to move their entire powertrain manufacture internally.

That article must be a huge concern to owners. But I still don’t think it addresses the ‘engine’ cover deletion. The overheating issue, according to that article, is down to leaks in the cooling system. No amount of ‘ventilation’ by removing covers, or even the bonnet, is going to fix that issue.
It seems ‘range’ isn’t the only ‘anxiety’ associated with the EQC and it doesn’t help that, by removing the cover, my anxiety is increased with spots of pink coolant dotted around the engine bay.
Thanks for sharing the article grober. The answers to our questions may not always be the ones we want, but there’s no doubting the thoroughness of them.

Surely the gubbins under the bonnet does have a cover: the bonnet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom