EQS test drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tode

Car
S350 Bluetec
I've been vaguely looking to replace our S -class which is no longer as young as she used to be. Chatting with my local dealer, he offered to let me have a test drive of an EQS, presenting it as an "electric S-class".

So this morning I took it out for a couple of hours and while it's a very nice-looking car, as soon as you sit in it you know that it's not an S-class - nowhere near.

It drives well and can be quite nippy, but I found it claustrophobic and trying to change the destination while driving was very frustrating. Maybe my fingers are just too fat !

On top of all that, there was no star on the bonnet - sacrilege :eek:

So will keep looking . . .

Saw an EQS at Mercedes World yesterday. Looks horrible in the metal .. the boot looks like it has been cut off, and the whole car looks squashed. UGLY.

MB should stop making EVs that look just like their ICE cars.... they should go for a bold fresh look, just like the ID.4, EV6, IONIQ 5, etc, all unmistakably futuristic.

Think they had one on top gear yesterday, was a bummer and one they had was around £60000 not doing enough mls to the charge , like most of what’s out there.

Personally, I don't agree with all the critics of the shape - I don't want my S class to be "bold" - just a nice shape ;)

And although I'm not a fan of the new 'lumpy' style, I think the exterior of the EQS pulls it off.

It was the cramped interior and the fiddly little buttons that I didn't like.

A quick snap beside some other MBs:

EQS 1.jpg

Think they had one on top gear yesterday, was a bummer and one they had was around £60000 not doing enough mls to the charge , like most of what’s out there.

That was an EQC and whilst i appreciate that Top Gear is an entertainment programme, it didn't really portray the EQC in the right light. It appeared that they favoured the Audi E-Tron more but the reality is that the range on the E-Tron is much lower than the EQC. I have a couple of colleagues with E-Trons and they are barely getting 120-150 miles at the minute (colder days).

I prefer the Polestar 2 out of those three, it's been my favourite for a while.

An interesting point is the radiator grille of old is now becoming the QWERTY keyboard of the automotive industry.... EVs don't need grilles as such (though they do need air intake under the bumper for the battery cooling system), yet a large frontal area is still present mimicking the grille of old.

I prefer the Polestar 2 out of those three, it's been my favourite for a while.

I really do like the shape of the Polestar 2, especially in black, but I didn't get one due to a somewhat cramped interior compared the hatchbacks ID.4 and IONIQ 5.

Personally, I don't agree with all the critics of the shape - I don't want my S class to be "bold" - just a nice shape ;)

And although I'm not a fan of the new 'lumpy' style, I think the exterior of the EQS pulls it off.

View attachment 121125
I almost prefer the battled-scarred classic 'à gauche' 🙂

View attachment 121125
Elegance, industry leading leading quality, and a huge amount of space are what come to my mind....

Reactions: Ted
An interesting point is the radiator grille of old is now becoming the QWERTY keyboard of the automotive industry.... EVs don't need grilles as such (though they do need air intake under the bumper for the battery cooling system), yet a large frontal area is still present mimicking the grille of old.

Indeed. The "vents" are solid on EVs too but being part of the branding of the car, especially for the Germans with their crazy whopping grille fetishes, I think it will be a long time if ever that these will disappear.

They may well evolve to lose any looks of the previous function.

Interesting the interior was cramped.

It does look like it has less room internally but I would have thought with less hardware for the drivetrain that it would be deceptively spacious.

Disappointing.

Indeed. The "vents" are solid on EVs too but being part of the branding of the car, especially for the Germans with their crazy whopping grille fetishes, I think it will be a long time if ever that these will disappear.

Well the MB front fetish nonsense is bad but not quite as vile as BMW's new OTT grills and both are nowhere near as hideous as Lexus.

I people buying cars really think these are acceptable then I think Ford need to seriously look at bringing out a revised Edsel as it should be a winner.

MB should stop making EVs that look just like their ICE cars.... they should go for a bold fresh look, just like the ID.4, EV6, IONIQ 5, etc, all unmistakably futuristic.

Do you mean EVs like EQA and similar? The EQS does not look like their ICE cars.

I want a Mercedes that looks like Mercedes (the way I'm used to). Got an offer of the EQS at 20 000 € less than for a V223 (PHEV) but decided to spend all my savings to get something that looks like a Mercedes. EQS would likely have been a wise decision for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom