Ergonomic office seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
My back is killing me and it is mainly down to em slumping in my chair whilst using my computer....I have tried using an exercise ball to sit on and this seems to help but is not totally practical.

I have seen kneeling stools / seats and have come across this (which seems expensive for what it is, but I like the theory).

I would like to move away from a conventional seat to something that will make my back work a bit whilst sitting....

Any ideas?

Would it be more like this from Varier? Seems suitably expensive at nearly £600!! Would need to find a good 2nd hand example as could not afford that!

Yup that looks like it.

I've got to say that he took it on trial fully expecting to send it back. He did not!

I use the Varier Gravity and the Varier kneeling chair. Find the gravity chair really great for my back but needs some room. Bought them from ebay.

I use the Varier Gravity and the Varier kneeling chair. Find the gravity chair really great for my back but needs some room. Bought them from ebay.

Does the kneeling chair help then? Gravity chair will probably take up too much room (but looks the business!)..

Guy I knew swore that it was comfortable. Always felt weird having a conversation at his desk though.

My back is killing me and it is mainly down to em slumping in my chair whilst using my computer....I have tried using an exercise ball to sit on and this seems to help but is not totally practical.

I have seen kneeling stools / seats and have come across this (which seems expensive for what it is, but I like the theory).

I would like to move away from a conventional seat to something that will make my back work a bit whilst sitting....

Any ideas?

Easy answer.................

Don't slump.

Providing your chair fits your body and supports you where it should, then you will be OK.

Remember, a chair that suits a 15 stone 5 foot tall person is not going to support a 6'-6"" 12 stone lank.
Most people who suffer with their backs TEND to be over average height and perhaps carrying a few extra pounds.
Go somewhere where you can sit and try before you buy. Taller people tend to stoop because most things are built for Mr and Mrs average. Put your desk higher and get a higher seat - if that is what the problem is.
My home is designed around people who are over 6 foot tall - mirrors, furniture (where practical), shower heads and other things which can be tailored for height.
I have found the "memory" foam bed mattresses are wonderful. Not cheap for a good one, but by god, does it make a difference.
You might find by making a few adjustment around the house, the back aches will diminish over time.

Last edited:
Easy answer.................

Don't slump.

Easier said than done!! I do a lot of horse riding & yacht racing both of which are not great for your back.....also have to use computer a lot for report writing, emails etc.....

I just would like to find a seat that encourages my back to be in correct position...

The chair is half the problem, what height us your monitor - my brother suffers back problems due to an old car accident, he's recently done iron man triathlons so his core strength is not an issue. Having tried umpteen whizzy office chairs he found the least uncomfortable option was raising his monitor to a height where he actually looked up at it. Looked odd but seemed to work. As an often all day computer user I find a cooking Viking 5 way adjustable chair is fine, I take frequent breaks & wander round on calls to stretch a bit & so far no issues.

Ade

Easier said than done!! I do a lot of horse riding & yacht racing both of which are not great for your back.....also have to use computer a lot for report writing, emails etc.....

I just would like to find a seat that encourages my back to be in correct position...

Have you considered consulting an osteopath on this issue?
Its not cheap, but believe me, its money very well spent. Go to one that is personally recommended to you by friends or family. Don't pick one from a local paper.
He/She will be able to offer you a solution tailored to your own particular weakness.
Many people have what they call "bad backs" as a general generic term, but most have very individual problems and each often require a very different approach to relieve pain and aches.
I had a VERY bad back some years ago which required about a dozen trips to a local osteopath. It was do bad it would take me about 10 minutes to get in and out the car.
He fixed my back, and touch wood, I have not had to go back since.

Last edited:
The chair is half the problem, what height us your monitor - my brother suffers back problems due to an old car accident, he's recently done iron man triathlons so his core strength is not an issue. Having tried umpteen whizzy office chairs he found the least uncomfortable option was raising his monitor to a height where he actually looked up at it. Looked odd but seemed to work.

Ade

Very good point. My screen was on my desk and angled up so I could see it....basicaly I was leaning forwards to look at it.....following your post, have now raised my screen up level with eyeline and I automatically find that I am having to sit upright with a straight back to look at it.....thanks for pointing this out!

Still may try and find alternative seating option though

I actually have a "Fluid" chair which I believe is similar.

Having now adjusted my monitor position, I find that I am not leaning forward to view it and my back is upright in my seat, so I will try this for a while and see where it gets me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom