Ergonomics...

• Thread starter Deletedmember130310
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deletedmember130310

I’ve always thought the ergonomic layout for the controls on my R172 are unnecessarily complicated – newer cars seem to be even worse.

As examples

• I can’t actually see the lighting / wiper stalk behind the steering wheel and even after 2 years I manage to select the cruise / limit stalk instead of the indicators…

• The roof switch is counter intuitive and I still move it the wrong way to open or close the roof.

• I have no idea why a full letter / number key pad is required on the audio head unit; does anyone actually enter a phone number manually?

• The situation seems to be even worse on current MB models, with the seat switches for heating, cooling, movement and memory are cramped on the door card. Do we really need multi way adjustment of heating and cooling, particularly as the heated seats on my R172 switch off automatically after c20 minutes..
  • Why can’t the adjustment and memory buttons be hidden under a cover panel, preferably on the centre console / transmission cover, along with the controls for adjustment the various settings for gear change, suspension, engine mapping etc. under a cover panel to give a cleaner, smoother look?

Don’t even get me started on the new-fangled “wave your hands” controls…or on the plethora of buttons and knobs on the centre console of a Jaguar F-Type, which have put me off considering one.
My favourite dash and control layout was my Honda S2000 – a few switches, all easily to hand, often without the need to move a hand off the steering wheel. An ergonomic delight for drivers.

What are your likes and dislikes?

I’ve always thought the ergonomic layout for the controls on my R172 are unnecessarily complicated – newer cars seem to be even worse.

As examples

• I can’t actually see the lighting / wiper stalk behind the steering wheel and even after 2 years I manage to select the cruise / limit stalk instead of the indicators…

• The roof switch is counter intuitive and I still move it the wrong way to open or close the roof.

• I have no idea why a full letter / number key pad is required on the audio head unit; does anyone actually enter a phone number manually?

• The situation seems to be even worse on current MB models, with the seat switches for heating, cooling, movement and memory are cramped on the door card. Do we really need multi way adjustment of heating and cooling, particularly as the heated seats on my R172 switch off automatically after c20 minutes..
  • Why can’t the adjustment and memory buttons be hidden under a cover panel, preferably on the centre console / transmission cover, along with the controls for adjustment the various settings for gear change, suspension, engine mapping etc. under a cover panel to give a cleaner, smoother look?

Don’t even get me started on the new-fangled “wave your hands” controls…or on the plethora of buttons and knobs on the centre console of a Jaguar F-Type, which have put me off considering one.
My favourite dash and control layout was my Honda S2000 – a few switches, all easily to hand, often without the need to move a hand off the steering wheel. An ergonomic delight for drivers.

What are your likes and dislikes?
I love the seat controls on the door where I can easily get to them, hated it when they are on the base of the seat and you have to fumble to find them.

Totally agree about the indicator stalks, would prefer the cruise control to be on steering wheel as per Jag.

I quite like controls looking like a pilot cockpit but then I am a bit of a gadget freak, funnily enough I have used the number keypad as a passenger but not as a driver.

Might play around with voice control as when it works it is very cool.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I love the cruise control stalk. So intuitive and better than buttons on a steering wheel.

I love the cruise control stalk. So intuitive and better than buttons on a steering wheel.
I agree - but with only 2 movements, it doesn't necessarily need to be in sight.. I use the indicator / light / wiper stalk much more but can never find it....

I also regularly knock the cruise control stalk when reaching for the indicator, also the stalk has the forward cancel function so multiple direction control so a little awkward. The Jag set up has clearly marked buttons on the steering wheel with a convenient thumb wheel for adjustment so your hands do not need to leave the wheel, a lot safer in my experience. Funny how all these things are so subjective!

I also regularly knock the cruise control stalk when reaching for the indicator, also the stalk has the forward cancel function so multiple direction control so a little awkward. The Jag set up has clearly marked buttons on the steering wheel with a convenient thumb wheel for adjustment so your hands do not need to leave the wheel, a lot safer in my experience. Funny how all these things are so subjective!

Don't get me wrong - I prefer the simple rocker switch, to set limit or cruise, on the steering wheel on my daily with another rocker switch next to it to adjust the speed. As you say, no need to take eyes off the road. I sometimes feel MB, and other manufacturers, have lost their way.

I say in a new MB in the showroom the other day and counted something like 12 buttons on the steering wheel alone!

Are they not different sizes? I can feel the difference between cruise control and indicators, but if they've made them both the same now I can understand repeatedly selecting the wrong one.

Merc electronic handbrake button works in reverse to how you think it should work

Unnecessarily complicated to switch nav on, go to radio then decide to listen to my media player! Pretty dangerous too !

Having aquired an R 172 recently I agree with all the earlier comments! Still try to put the roof up when I want it down, love the electric handbrake but the controls are the wrong way round. Still hit the wrong stalk when I want to turn , hate not being able to see how the wipers are set as stalk hidden by the wheel.
Thought it was just my old age so very relieved to find out I am not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom