Erm, help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bet that didn’t feel good :wallbash:
Luckily they were replaced under warranty. The dealer tried to say the cats must have been damaged off road, but saw sense when I gave them the opportunity to do so.

If I remember right, the car sold after buying the ML was the same value as the cats on the ML! Don't let that put anyone off, they were a few months old and likely faulty at manufacture. Great car.

Luckily they were replaced under warranty. The dealer tried to say the cats must have been damaged off road, but saw sense when I gave them the opportunity to do so.

If I remember right, the car sold after buying the ML was the same value as the cats on the ML! Don't let that put anyone off, they were a few months old and likely faulty at manufacture. Great car.

Yes I can imagine, these days you could probably source used or aftermarket cats for much cheaper :)

Yes I can imagine, these days you could probably source used or aftermarket cats for much cheaper :)
Yes, it was not as common to replace them back then, they might even be cheaper from MB now too. I think that cost was plus VAT and the rechargeable cost from the dealer to the Mercedes Warranty, so it would cost a customer even more!

The myth of low mileage.
Again.

A 14 year old car with 35,000 miles on the clock? Other explanations are available.

221012hpi_2.jpg

We really did love ours and here it is, we like silver cars :)

full

I've got a 10.5 year old car with 14k miles....it is almost as new though & does get pampered & looked after a bit!

I'd have no issues eating my dinner off the underside [emoji6]

Hmm, it's a problem to fiddle on line government MOT site. You would have to clock vehicle every year since three years old.
In our case , MOT done at same garage for 12 years, I contacted garage, they knew car and owner very well, Service history backs up MOT history, condition of interior backs up mileage.
It's faults, caused by journey home,nearly had a very bad accident on A40, rear springs, could happen at any time, rear heater, seems to be common.
There, I am starting to defend it now !!!!!

It was serviced on the button by the Mercedes main dealer.
However the two most expensive repairs were eplacing rear suspension struts because you can't buy springs and dampers separately from a main dealer (both struts were replaced twice I think), and catalytic converters were replaced under warranty at less than a year old (£3200 plus labour IIRC in 2004)!

I always wonder at these warranty repair quotes--- do they refer to what they billed Mercedes for the job? Or what such a job would normally cost the customer--- I suspect the latter. I imagine Mercedes would have a set number of hours for the job and pay the supply price [ without profit] for any parts involved. Quoting retail prices to the customer would be good PR of course and serve to divert the owner from the fact that perhaps the failure should not have occurred in the first place.;)

A woman that lives across the road from us has a 2010 Alfa that she has had from new with 4000 miles on it. It's done 300 miles between mot's and she refuses to let her husband sell it.

My father has just given up driving at the age of 83.
He bought his last car new in spring 2008 - a VW Polo. He has “sold” the car for a nominal amount to number 2 son with 6,600 miles on the clock

And I thought the ML was low mileage.
That thread regarding rust was an eye opener. I always saw Mercs as an asperationasl vehicle.
However they made a large mistake with their cost cutting

No disrespect intended to low mileage cars - my last half dozen included. Low mileage cars are great.

My churlish comment was about the "great low mileage myth" - I've seen many a whinge about unreliable lower mileage cars, and I've looked at buying a fair few lower mileage cars which have had one or two haircuts in their life.

It's tougher to do these days, but it's still very common - the RAC and the motoring press often float the number of 2.5 million. OK, that's only 1 in 12 cars, but once you exclude the young un's, it becomes more like 1 in 6, and even lower when you remember the economics mean that it's more likely to be expensive cars that get clocked.

Car clocking: prosecutions out of step with incidents

Yes, I can agree, but no one should take just one indicated of a cars milage and useage. The indicated mileage is just that, an indication. A buyer should look at
1) the indicated mileage
2) the condition of the car overall
3) the condition of drivers seat, steering wheel, brake and other foot pedal rubbers
4) online MOT check to see if all matches up
,5) Available service history
I am sure others can think of more checks .

A woman that lives across the road from us has a 2010 Alfa that she has had from new with 4000 miles on it. It's done 300 miles between mot's and she refuses to let her husband sell it.

Are all those miles to and from the garage ;)

Regarding clocking, the new MOT on line check should help, as the car could only be clocked back to the last submitted mileage by the MOT centre. However, it would not stop a car being wound back after its first three years of high mileage before it's first MOT.
Case for checks from year one. I know that what ever is put in place, people will find a way round it.

An Alfa that only does 300 miles a year?

Just as well she won't sell it, I'd run screaming from a car like that, it probably would never get as far as 301!

I am a fairly new first time Mercedes owner.
I bought our 2003 ML270 back in September, and was lured by the low mileage of 35,000 and one owner, full service history. Not history backed everything up.
Since buying it, I have been fighting fires, there were so many little faults to fix. Abs,esp,bas lights have all been on, and took me a time to work out what was what, rear heater motor failed, rear suspension spring broke, brakes all round etc etc etc.
It is now 100%, but here's my issue, I do not trust it. Every time I drive it I am thinking, what's going to break next.
I suppose I am lucky, except for gearbox oil change, I have done all the work myself.
What I need is people to tell me that I am now paranoid, and that the car has a decent reputation for being reliable. Or as reliable as any other large 4x4.
I have had my 2004 ML 270 cdi special edition, for about 5 years ..... It has been great, super reliable too.

UNTIL ....... a month ago !
Had the car serviced, it has done 139k.
At the same time I had the glow plugs changed and the injector seals replaced, a w,eek later the injector wiring burnt out.
Apparently down to being roughly disturbed ...... So it looks like it will be going to the Merc park in the sky.

A real shame, it has no rust and a great interior ..... but I am not prepared to spend £400 fixing it.
Regards
Gary

That's a shame. If it's as good as you say, put it on e bay. Someone will buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom