Error Codes P200B & P207E????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cl55 amg

Car
CL55 AMG
Can anybody help, the engine light came on yesterday so I took the car (2001 CL55 AMG) to a local garage to diagnosed the car for me.

The 2 codes are as follows;

P200B: The efficiency of the right catalytic converter is insufficient.

P207E: The efficiency of the left catalytic converter is insufficient.

I have noticed the idle seems low around 5-6000.

Any advice please.

after a quick look on google;

200B = P0422 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

207E = P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

make any sense :)

You have 4 cats. I suspect the front two are gone. Dis you have an engine warning lihjt too?

You have 4 cats. I suspect the front two are gone. Dis you have an engine warning lihjt too?

Olly, is there no end to your knowledge? PS-Gearbox perfect since you changed the ATF and AC still seems to be ok too

Walking WIS is me.

Its my job to know. If I did not I would not have PCS.

You're car can run on just 2 (ie you can get a garage to remove them and place pipes in place of them), Olly will confirm this. German V8's tend to have 4 cats for lower emissions.

You're car can run on just 2 (ie you can get a garage to remove them and place pipes in place of them), Olly will confirm this. German V8's tend to have 4 cats for lower emissions.

Thanks for that, also it is idling low, would this be related? and should I run it on Super Unleaded?

Last edited:
Can you summarise how the car runs (any misfires, hesitation on acceleration etc) and also what has been done to the car in the weeks up to both the low idle and the check light coming on?

Also what's the service history (air filters, plugs etc)?

Can you summarise how the car runs (any misfires, hesitation on acceleration etc) and also what has been done to the car in the weeks up to both the low idle and the check light coming on?

Also what's the service history (air filters, plugs etc)?

Hi, some history;

only had the car for 3 weeks, currently have 74K on the clock, last service was done at 63K. I had a engine light come on last week and when I took it to the local garage he said it looked like a miss fire (came on when hard accelerating up a slip road) and told me it could be the plugs. The plugs hadn't been done previous, so he changes the plugs/4 HT leads and a coil pack that had corroded.
As for the idle I noticed it around 2 weeks ago (before any work or engine light appeared). As for acceleration etc, not sure as its the first Merc I have ever owned, always had M3's before so am unsure if it is picking up as it should.

Hope you can make sense of this :eek:

Cats are expensive to replace.

One of mine was £800 just for the cat/pipe.

To be sure re your first and last post in the thread. Can you clarify:

The codes seen during the CEL last week when the plugs etc were subsequently changed.

The codes you have now with the CEL that came on yesterday (200B/207E??) ?

Did the CEL come on both times during hard acceleration?

Also, is the (low) idle also rough? Listening to the exhaust, is the note uneven?

Reason for asking this stuff is that IF both cats have died then either a big coincidence has occurred in terms of them wearing out at the same time or they have both been overheated or contaminated by a problem "upstream".

If you don't fix it then 2 new cats may go the same way....

It also possible that you have an intake air or vacuum leak, a problem with the EVAP or EGR systems or a MAF or temperature sensor issue that is causing the acceleration enrichment to get screwed up and so throw the codes (the codes are saying that the level of O2 seen by the after-cat sensor is, at the time the code and CEL is set, similar to the level seen by the pre-cat sensor).

Needs a good check over - if you bought the car 3 weeks ago from a Trader, you should get this sorted at their expense......

Yes the plugs were changed after the first time of seeing the codes (unsure what the codes were).

Yes the codes that came on yesterday were 200B & 207E.

No only the first time during hard acceleration.

I will go and check the exhaust.

The car was bought from a private seller.

Thanks danny

The exhaust sounds OK. When the car is idle it slightly fluctuates around 6-700 and it feels like its splutering slightly.

Few pointers:

I would fill up using super unleaded, no point feeding a wolf scraps.
If that spluttering on idle develops into a rough idle (it will become more pronounced over time) then its most likely an MAF issue.

Few pointers:

I would fill up using super unleaded, no point feeding a wolf scraps.
If that spluttering on idle develops into a rough idle (it will become more pronounced over time) then its most likely an MAF issue.

Thank you for the info, I will start to use super Unleaded next time I fill up. As for the idle I suppose I will have to wait it out and see what happens.

Can anybody confirm the above comment about removing the 2 faulty Cats and replacing with tubing? this could possibly save me 2K if they need replacing.

Thanks Danny

my.mycat

looks like there are only 2 Cats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom