Escaped Redundancy!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Was due to be made redundant on the 30th October but have found (and accepted) another role within my company. Phew!

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

A vote of confidence in you as an employee - you can be sure that it was the role that was no longer required, rather than you.

Excellent news - well done!!

Very pleased for you mate.... It's a horrible time of the year to be let go from any job.... Also a very tough time finding a job should you be out of work....

Glad for you Steve :thumb: As said ^ very hard time of the year to be jobless

Good for you - onwards and upwards :thumb:.

WEll done.

I've been made redundant 6 times over 40 years.

The last time was when I returned to work post heart attack and by-pass surgery. Nice.

..and they wonder where employee loyalty has gone.

So how is the "cleaning the toilets" thing going anyway? ;)

Seriously- glad you dodged the bullet and are still gainfully employed.:thumb:

Being self employed since 1974 gives you a different perspective on this situation.

I have often gone for contracts that may only be 4 - 6 weeks duration and lived virtually hand to mouth for upteen years.

A friend of mine who lived over the road from me was made redundant from the bank he worked in. He was given 2 years notice.
2 YEARS.

I would LOVE - LOVE - to be offered a contract that would guarantee me 2 years continuous work.

WEll done.

..and they wonder where employee loyalty has gone.

I don't think "they" do. The world of work & employment has changed a great deal in the last ten years, let alone forty.

Your last experience sounds like it came at a very bad time and I'm sorry to hear it but it illustrates the approach businesses take these days, not a lot of compassion involved in the decision-making process.

EDIT: Sorry, congratulations Gollom on your new role.:D

Last edited:
I don't think we should generalise here.

Some employers care very much about their employees, some do not care at all, and most are somewhere in-between.

A friend of mine who works for an international automotive parts manufacturer was unfortunate enough to have a son with serious disability. Over the past 20 years he was given almost all the time away he needed to look after his son including when the sob underwent major surgery on several occasions.

In return my friend is willingly available 24x7 to assist in case if problems - the factory works two (and sometimes three) shifts.

No doubt there are some ruthless employers out there but let's not tar everyone with the same brush.

EDIT: And well done for avoiding redundancy - see MOCAS' post above.

Some employers care very much about their employees, some do not care at all, and most are somewhere in-between.

I think on balance you could start out as a very idealistic employer or employee and end up very disillusioned after a few years when you see how people actually behave.

glad youve avoided an uncertain future
employer loyalty is a rarity these days , even if senior personnel wish to show loyalty and support it doesnt always pick up support from others in high office
stay as long as you can and depart at a time of your choosing:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom