ESP and ABS Lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BelfastBill

Car
S CLASS 320 CDI
Hi when driving home yesterday my ESP and ABS warning lights came on also the cruise control stopped working, any ideas what could be wrong please.
S 320 CDI. 2004 PLATE.
Thanks',
Bill.

I suspect a rear abs sensor, or reluctor ring has rusted and fallen off.

It could be any one of the wheel speed sensors. You'll probably find your steering is also heavy at slow speeds since the "parameter" steering is disabled as well.

You'll need to get it scanned with a STAR (or similar) to find out which sensor is kaput.

I would second the brake light switch, had the same with my B class a few years ago.

Hi all the guy who does some work for me stuck it on the Diagnostic machine this evening and it showed the rear offside ABS sensor was the fault, so happy days, getting it done tomorrow.thanks' all.

Hi all, just been on the net pricing a rear ABS sensor and they don't half vary in price from £120 down to £19.00, I have still to ring Mercedes and get a price from them, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks'.

Buy genuine and buy once. Replacing the sensor can be faff. To do this and then find that your low cost replacement fails as you exit your driveway is just not funny (to you).

FYI: BMW ABS sensors are £110. ECP sell copies for £15!!!! A quick Google reveals that the copies usually fail within 500 miles and some do fail on the driveway. I suspect that the economics actually work out if you buy genuine here.

Hi all, just been on the net pricing a rear ABS sensor and they don't half vary in price from £120 down to £19.00, I have still to ring Mercedes and get a price from them, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks'.

Try a scrap yard for a genuine one.

Is Febi Bilstein a good make?

Take a look at the face of the ABS sensor when removed, if it shows signs wear then it has been in contact with the reluctor ring. this is most commonly caused by build up of rust on or under the ring, under the ring is the eventual cause of the ring snapping. and a hard fail. If you see signs of wear and are not planning on keeping the car more than a year or so you could make a thin card/thick paper gasket to create a gap before you push home the new sensor. otherwise replace the ring or be ready for a further replacement soon.

It is most likely the sensor and a new one is about 30 pounds. When you change it you will still have the lights on and need to get MB to reset them. They say it happens automatically as on many other cars but it is not true.

I had the same issue as well as tyre pressure off too. It turned out to be the brake peddle switch. £13.50 from MB. I used car icarsoft diagnostics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom