ESP/BAS warnings - but not the brake switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ithink

6 month old C class, after 4 weeks had the ESP/BAS failure message that disppears after restart and in fact both systems appear to still work. After 4 more months the warning message became more frequent so got the car to the stealer. They did the standard replace of the brake switch already mentioned on the forum. The fault reappeared.

Today they have diagnosed with MB Tech services that it needs a "modification" with a new wiring tray/loom fitted???

My car has lots of extra gizzmo's (park, command, voice, zenon etc) is this why it needs the mod? The stealer didn't have much more info, only that it didn't effect all new C cars. The sting in the tail is that MB say the part will take 4 to 6 weeks.

Anyone in the know? I would like to know out of my own curiosity what it is all about. If it needed a mod I wonder why didn't MB contact me direct?

Thank you

had the same problem on cl500,if it is the same mod I am thinking of,it is the multiplug that coonects to the abs pump for the brakes,we managed to clean the connector with electrical spray and it seems to have cured it so far.
I think the modification entails changing the plug and part of the loom.
as a quick fix you could try this as it won't do any harm cleaning the plug.
H ave you had a flat battery lately,if so this can bring the BAS/ESP light on until the steering angle sensor has been initialized,which entails moving the steering lock to lock and holding there for about 20 secs,with the engine running,switch off again and start up,see if the light goes out.
good luck

Thank you for the reply zerocool, I will certainly clean the plug whilst I await the mod. I am almost certain that the BAS is still working, even though the message comes up, as I can feel the system depressing the brake a little bit more when I touch the pedal very lightly. (edited for cr&p spelling)

Last edited:
yes it probably is working ok,its probably the over intelligent control unit that is noticing a high resistance in a wire connected to the bas unit,and crying wolf.sometimes these things are to advanced for their own good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom