ESP Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oorjim2

Car
03 CLK 320, 09 Corsa 1.2
I’m looking for some help. Today I got an error message saying ESP fault visit workshop on the dash.
I tried turning the wheel full lock which it then says no malfunctions but when I start it the fault reappears.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it without going to the dealers, it’s a 03 CLK 320 with 70k I had a track rod end replaced on it about 2 weeks ago could this have anything to do with it
Thanks
Jim

when you are driving in a straight line, is your steering wheel off to one side? if so then yes, having the track rod end replaced could be the cause. equally a wheel speed sensor could have been damaged when the work was done, or it could be something else, ie just coincidence.

Took the car to the dealers today for the ESP Fault it turns out to be some angle sensor not too cheap £468 to replace. :eek:

Get the car back tomorrow all fixed and new again.

Jim

am i to understand that the steering wheel IS in the dead ahead position then?? if not this alone will log the angle sensor fault....

I think that was what was wrong, the steering wheel was sitting off to the drivers side but all fixed now. :)

Jim

Hope you didn't pay £468 just to get the steering wheel aligned!

you asked for advice, i gave it. if you had come back after my initial questions i could have saved you all that money!! sorry for you.

to clarify, there was nothing wrong with your angle sensor!!

Hi, Alex, I'm having the same issue on my 99 E430. Checked with a carsoft scanner gave code C1140, which is steering angle sensor shorted or opened circuit. I talked to a indy today he told me 2 hours to calibrate the sensor. If calibration not working then the sensor needs be replaced. Is there a calibration instruction for the angle sensor? The only way I heard the calibration is lock to lock. Thanks for any comments.

yes, the only calibration is lock to lock. carsoft is a poor man's diagnostic platform, a real MB indy will have star by now which is very useful and diagnostic with such faults.

what is the history of your problem? think hard and report any other faults or work you have had done in the last year or so. and what about that steering wheel alignment?!

you mention c1140, are you sure there were no other codes? is this a current or stored fault?

Thanks for quick reply.

Ok, the history.....

I got this car 4 months ago while I test drove it there was no ESP /ABS/BAS waring, the only problem was passenger side window/door/mirror. I fixed that later by disconnecting the rear passenger door module. However the ESP warning came up the second day I got the car I believe the possible reason could be I disconnected battery negative cable in trying to fix window issue.

later I did followings,

turn lock to lock, no fix
replaced brake switch, no fix,
checked all wheel sensors by multimeter, all ok,
battery loaded test, passed, but the LCD screen shows voltage of 11.6V only

BAS is working. Cruise control working. ABS not working.

Carsoft7.4 scanner shows code C1140, which is the only code when scanning ESP/ABS. Not ablr to clear it. I removed steering wheel and angle sensor but there is not much I can do to verify the sensor. Voltage on the cable to angle sensor is marginal, 12.0V.

That all I can recall now. Suggestions?

it might be corroded pins at the module, or play in the steering column, or wheel alignment, or who knows what. i am used to having star to sort these problems though, so hard to say over t'internet. how do you know the bas is fine?

Brake would respond hard when brake pedal depressed quick but slightly so I think BAS is working.

wheel alignment should be ok cause all 4 tires replaced with Micheling month ago at Costco.

Play in steering column, I will check it.

You mentioned corroded pins at the module. Can you elaborate what module? I traced down to the 4 pin connector under the column but not able to find the source module.

For the removed angle sensor, how can you tell (measure?) it's good or bad?

i 'measure' the steering angle sensor with star - useful as if the value is ok i know that the esp module can 'see' the value. corroded pins might be at the esp module in the electrics case under the bonnet, passenger side - but unlikely. when you drive straight, is the wheel in the straight ahead position.

I found a PDF explaning how MB steering angle sensor works...the steering angle sensor is permanently supplied with power from Terminal 30.This means that steeringwheel movements are also detected with ”ignition off”... I measured the 4 pin cable to the angle sensor, all 4 pins voltage are zero when ignition off. It seems something wrong with the cable or ESP module. I will check it.

The wheel is not exactly in the straight position-- maybe 3 to 4 degrees to left.

the angle sensor measures to a resolution of 2.5 degrees.

the reason it needs constant power is to memorise which 360 deg rotation it is on - ie it can only read 0-360 degrees, and works out which particular 360 deg cycle it is on when the wheel is turned from lock to lock. if the power is interrupted at any time it needs to re-initialise this information. there should be +12v at one pin, earth at another, if what you say is correct you now need to measure it with ignition on (although this will log an airbag fault code if you have it removed/disconnected). if still no power you need a wiring diagram and go from there.

... if what you say is correct you now need to measure it with ignition on (although this will log an airbag fault code if you have it removed/disconnected). if still no power you need a wiring diagram and go from there.

Ignition off, all 4 pins are zero V.

Ignition on, one pin is 11.8V, one pin is 12.0V, other two are zero.

The wiring diagram is exactly what I'm looking for. Is it avaliable in this forum?

can i see a contradiction here? or have i misunderstood? check the pins to that esp module!

I thought 12.0V is marginal because it said the angle sensor is extremly sensitive to low voltage. Correct me if it's not true.

I thought 12.0V is marginal because it said the angle sensor is extremly sensitive to low voltage. Correct me if it's not true.

are you saying 12v engine running? i suspect you are saying engine not running - 12v will be battery voltage most likely, what voltage do you see with engine off? either way you need power with ignition off as you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom