esp inoperative run flat inoperative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nidgemo

Car
2013 E220 SE CDI AUTO SE 7G-Tronic Plus
Hi everyone

Have had my Nov 2008 W211 E220 Avantgarde tiptronic for 4 months now, and up to now very happy...

However...

Had about a 60 mile drive yesterday in biblical rain, without any problems, but popped out to the shop about an hour later, and on the way back had the yellow warning triangle come on with the messages esp inoperative run flat inoperative.

Car largely seemed to be going fine, so ignored it (was only half a mile from home) and when I went to take the kids to their swimming lesson this morning, all lights were off, no errors, so all seemed well.

Then, again, on the way back (in the dry) the same lights came on again. A few minutes later, had to stop at lights, so tried to put on the "hold" on the brakes, and then shortly after tried to engage cruise and the error also then added "cruise control inoperative" and "speedtronic inoperative"

Again, was only half a mile from home at this point, so have parked the car up and will try again in the morning.

So, for anyone else with experience of this, any MB mechanics etc here, what am I looking at (both in terms of what's wrong and financially)?

Any quick / cheap or easy fix?

We're looking at buying a new house soon, so I really really could do without a big bill on a car I've only had a few months!

Thanks for all and any help!

PS - for the record, car has 96k on it, and nothing has been touched or changed since it's last service in November, apart from rear brake pads two months ago.

Should mention, I have had a search through this (and other) forums, and it seems this error can be one of several problems, including (but not exclusive to)...

new brake light switch
wheel speed sensor
wheel alignment
Steering Wheel Angle Sensor
ESP sensor (or even cleaning up the ESP sensors)

However, many people who have reported this error never returned to explain what the actual problem was (understandable enough, I suppose once fixed, the problem is out of your head!) - so this thread could even act as a useful resource for people who get this error if people with experience of it put their fix and costs here!

Read about someone with this exact problem a few months back on one of the forums.

It was the steering angle sensor that had gone faulty in that instance.

LOL, we posted at the same time.

If your looking to keep costs down. I would first get the car on a star machine and get the fault codes read before guessing and replacing any parts.

Problem is andy, I live in fairly rural west northern ireland - I think the nearest merc dealership is about 70 miles away - would I be safe doing that drive with all these things inoperative?

Had the same symptoms on my B Class several months ago, plus cruise control not working. I could start the car and drive off ok, no warning lights, then, for no reason, the warning lights would come on. The last time it happened, I was holiday in Cornwall, so phoned the Indi I use and was told there should be no problem to drive home as it was only yellow warning lights not red. Drove home no problem and just had to have the brake switch replaced to cure the problem. If you do nothing, eventually the switch give up the ghost and the lights will come on the first time you use your brakes.

Had the same symptoms on my B Class several months ago, plus cruise control not working. I could start the car and drive off ok, no warning lights, then, for no reason, the warning lights would come on. The last time it happened, I was holiday in Cornwall, so phoned the Indi I use and was told there should be no problem to drive home as it was only yellow warning lights not red. Drove home no problem and just had to have the brake switch replaced to cure the problem. If you do nothing, eventually the switch give up the ghost and the lights will come on the first time you use your brakes.

Yeah, I am guessing it's brake switch related - three times today the car has been fine on start and then lights on while driving - always on braking - twice of those when I tried the hard press for "hold" - so looks like it's a brake switch. Not so bad - could have been worse - hopefull that's what it is - will keep everyone updated!

Another update - I'm pretty certain now it's the brake switch (though could do with advice from anyone that knows, as my brake lights ARE still working - would this be the case if it was brake switch?)

Every time I turn the car off and on again, the error is gone, but almost the first time I try to press hard to "hold" it doesn't work (doesn't even make that kind of hydraulic noise it does when working) and the lights come on, even if stationary, not steering etc - so that would certainly lead me to brake switch (i think!) The fact I'm not steering or even moving at the time would, to my mind, rule out steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensors and wheel alignment, and I've checked the tyre pressures...

The part is only £12 at Genuine Mercedes-Benz W211 E-Class Brake Pedal - Brake Light Switch A0015456709 | eBay

and I'd read it was an easy diy, so went out, had a look and it's 3 screws, pull panel down (carefully), disconnect wires going into the switch, turn and remove the switch and then do everything in reverse - 5 minutes max would do it.

So, I've ordered the part and am going to have a go before investigating anything else, and will post pics when I'm doing it. Hopefully it works and will be helpful to someone!

Got the part and replaced this yesterday - unfortunately was in a rush, so didn't get to take photos, but for those considering trying this themselves, I can tell you it took less than 5 minutes start to finish.

When I had the new part and compared it to the old one, the press in part was noticably further in on the old one, so it would suggest the switch was on it's last legs.

So far, all is well, and it does appear, touch wood, to have solved the problem and cleared the errors!

In summary, if you get this error, and it seems to coincide with coming on when you brake, this is certainly worth a go yourself before going to a dealer - at a cost of £12 and quite likely to fix it, why not! Worst case scenario, it doesn't fix it, you're down £12 and have a spare part in hand for a part that does fail from time to time anyway!

Well done.

You were lucky though to get it right first time... I think it is best to read the fault codes and see what the car is actually complaining about.

But all's well that ends well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom