Esp inoperative see owners manual!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Orwic

Car
E320 cdi Sport (C240, retired)
Hi folks

Leaving work tonight, I tried to start the car (E320 cdi 2009 vintage), and the engine cranked, but didn't start - and it's always started straight away before. Message on dash 'ESP inoperative see owners manual' (which I didn't have with me). I switched off, waited a few seconds, and tried again. Started immediately, but the engine warning light came on and stayed on. Sounded normal, so I drove off. Behaved normally braking and accelerating (though I didn't hammer it). I drive along a fast road home, and I got up to 70 no problems. Sounded and behaved normally. Got home, parked, turned off and restarted - and it started just fine, but engine light stayed on. Debating calling mobilo tomorrow am, as I don't want it refusing to start at work which is 26 miles away. Could take it to stealer (who've just serviced it) but don't want it cutting out on the way there either!

What's wrong? (Arm and a leg I suppose...)

Any feedback appreciated!

Thanks, Orwic

What I should have said is the error message had gone when the car started, and didn't come back - only saw it that once. Yellow triangle didn't come on either, only the engine warning light. Nothing on scrolling through the display screen either. And turning ESP on and off seemed to work normally using the switch - the little light in the switch came on, so did the triangle. Turn off, and switch light and triangle went off too...

Orwic

This is not an uncommon occurrence apparently and can be caused by a number of different things. Brake switch faults and all number of sensors can upset the ESP, particularly the ABS sensor, the wheel angle sensor and wheel speed sensors I think, although this is unlikely if it happened when the car was stationary. It's possible that your mercedes simply thought something was wrong as far as ESP is concerned, it's quite sensitive ASFAIK. Uneven tire wear and tire pressures have been known to trigger warnings. The engine light will probably be explained by a fault code, hopefully a stored one related to ESP, don't know if that happens ever. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will. I would advise getting it plugged into a star machine to check for fault codes.

I would agree with the STAR diagnosis but don't rule out the battery going south as it also flags up peculiar errors due to low voltage.

Thanks for the input

Update...

Called mobilo, they came and it restarted first go, but the engine management light stayed on. The guy connected up the computer (I was waiting in the house at the time), and told me that a code came up. He clicked on it, and it vanished - and the engine management light went out! He said he didn't see why that would happen, and advised I take it to the dealer, just in case. I did, and left it there. They've just got back to me, saying they've run diagnostics, and there's no codes - nothing wrong apparently. They did say they'd keep it overnight, and try to start it later this afternoon, when it was cold, and again in the morning, and see if anything turned up.

Tyre pressures are OK, I'm sure, and so far as I know everything else is too. Dealer said that it might never come back - just a gremlin, maybe??

Orwic (thankful for warranty, which hasn't run out yet!)

Oh yes - the battery. It's 4 years old, the original, i suspect. But I hardy ever do short journeys, which I believe is the thing that kills batteries. But I'd hope the dealer might check that one anyway. Hope its not that as I don't they are covered by warranty...

Orwic

Hi, 1st poster here, I am having exactly the same issue with my e320d cdi sport 2006,

seems very intermittent, i am in Leeds so am after any recommendation where to take it to get it looked at and resolved, I've heard some scare stories about rip off work so I'm hoping to avoid that.

I woul also start with the battery, and then star diagnose. Any update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom