ESP light won't turn off w203 (c180) FIX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoshB

Car
Mercedes Benz w203 (c180)
Hi, spent ages trawling through the different fixes for this and found what seems to be the correct fix for the older mercs mines an 03 plate.

Recently took my car for MOT and failed on front offside lower suspension arm ball joint worn, replaced my self and the ESP light came on with the " ESP programme not avail go to workshop" warning on dash.

Straight to the point the fix is simple when the car is stood still you will notice the steering wheel being either over to the left or right more than it should this means it's out of alignment and the sensor thinks you're turning and going in a straight line at the same time hence the light.

You need to ' disconnect the battery negative terminal placing it in a safe position, wait 15 mins for residual charge to dissapate then remove the air bag retaining screws which are small star drive bolts, disconnect the air bag wiring harness and then once air bag is placed away undo the big silver Allen key bolt holding your steering wheel on. Once removed you will notice a black back plate and it should have an arrow pointing where the wheel needs to be simply position it correctly if it doesnt there is a back plate and holes where you can allign with some screws behind it which is what i did and then replace the wheel so it is straight then reassemble everything again and reconnect the battery'.

This takes a few driving miles to turn off but it will go off as it did with mine and it won't come back on. If unsure refer to a Haynes manual can pick them up cheap on eBay and hopefully this saves people some time.

If an admin could move this to the correct forum I'd appreciate it as I only created an account to post this fix.

Cheers,
Josh.

Why was the steering wheel off set?

Wouldn't it have been better to have the tracking and geometry reset?

I still have no idea, I'm unsure if something is lose else where and me pulling on the hub to fit the lower suspension arm moved a joint or bearing or it's just pure rubbish luck..

But before fixing the car no issues, the tracking and balancing had just been done with new set of tyres for mot and drove perfect no issues. Tbh it probably would have been better to get it all checked out again and re done at my expense which was my last resort if this didn't work but been driving it for just under a week now and lights gone still drives perfect no other issues and at the time my wallet was empty.

Not saying it's the best way to fix it but why go to the trouble of throwing your money away when a simple 10 min job fixes it.

Are you saying that you replaced the front offside lower suspension arm ball joint, then ended-up with an off-centre steering wheel, which caused an ESP/ABS malfunction (due to the incorrect input from the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor)?

So you moved the steering wheel one notch in order to resolve the suspension alignment issue?

I.e. instead of having the wheel alignment done again (as Greenmanslk suggested)?

You NEVER need to touch steering wheel/sensor if just suspension parts changed, aligment need to be done by front end parts. If wheel and angle sensor has been off, it is totally different story.

Are you saying that you replaced the front offside lower suspension arm ball joint, then ended-up with an off-centre steering wheel, which caused an ESP/ABS malfunction (due to the incorrect input from the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor)?

So you moved the steering wheel one notch in order to resolve the suspension alignment issue?

I.e. instead of having the wheel alignment done again (as Greenmanslk suggested)?

Exactly what I'm saying! In a less technical term though haha. And look I'm not here to argue if the ESP fault is connected to this or another fault entirely I'm just here to give a more simple, easy and FREE fix for people also struggling with this who don't have the luxury of their car being under warranty or the Labour money for a garage and the time needed to trawl through the many sub posts.

If this helps you sort it out I'm happy to of helped, if It didn't then this post will disappear into the abyss.

Exactly what I'm saying! In a less technical term though haha. And look I'm not here to argue if the ESP fault is connected to this or another fault entirely I'm just here to give a more simple, easy and FREE fix for people also struggling with this who don't have the luxury of their car being under warranty or the Labour money for a garage and the time needed to trawl through the many sub posts.

If this helps you sort it out I'm happy to of helped, if It didn't then this post will disappear into the abyss

....And look I'm not here to argue... If this helps you sort it out I'm happy to of helped, if It didn't then this post will disappear into the abyss.

Sure... it's your car to do with whatever you see fit.

I'm just here to give a more simple, easy and FREE fix for people also struggling with this who don't have the luxury of their car being under warranty or the Labour money for a garage and the time needed to trawl through the many sub posts.

I just hope anyone reading this realises that if you have an aligment issue, you get it fixed. The last thing you do is ignore it and move the steering wheel instead, even if it is easy and free.

I just hope anyone reading this realises that if you have an aligment issue, you get it fixed. The last thing you do is ignore it and move the steering wheel instead, even if it is easy and free.

It is also not free as you'll be wearing the tyres prematurely.
The original post is one of the worst 'fixes' IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom