ESP problem

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by borz, Sep 2, 2011.

1. borz

borz Active Member

Car:
    C class 180k auto estate 57
    Hi every one
    Start the car this morning (ESP INOPERATIVE refere to the manual ) come up ? I notice the car is pulling to the right , appreciate any advice.thank you

2. OP
    OP
    borz

borz Active Member

Car:
    Ps: I have searched the forum and could not find any one who had a massage saying refer to the car's manual!

3. 2003-c180kcoupe

2003-c180kcoupe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c180k coupe
    i have a intermittent esp malfunction , usually say something like "esp warning take car to garage " ? or "esp not available" which resets itself as soon as i drive the car

4. tommy2

tommy2 Active Member

I have had this problem, my car is a C180k 2002, I gathered info from here and there,and put it down to a sensor, which sits inside a box at the back of the boot. As I remember it I took the lid off the box found the component, unplugged it and sprayed it with switch cleaner. Now all of this may have been coincidence, but, nevertheless,I have not had the problem since
    I suspect that there are many people on this forum,who are better equipped than me to help you.

5. 2003-c180kcoupe

2003-c180kcoupe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c180k coupe
    had mine plugged into star at pcs , think olly said it was a speed sensor ? but wasn't worth replacing until it packs up altogether .

6. OP
    OP
    borz

borz Active Member

Car:
    Could it be the traking or wheels balance? As the car is pulling to the right.

7. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    The ESP fault I doubt will be related tp the pulling. Needs to go on a Star.

8. OP
    OP
    borz

borz Active Member

Car:
    Yes I think I have to go on star to see what the exact fult is.

9. jefrs

jefrs Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S210 E320 Avantgarde '98 full load
    I keep having ESP/BAS/ADS/Anti-lock faults which trace to a loose connection to the ADS unit. You probably don't have Adaptive Damping (ADS), it "sits on top" of the ESP etc.

It occurs after the garage fiddles with the suspension. Just had bushes done, (again), tracking was done but now steering wheel off by 20ยบ. This seems to upset it.

It will reset after restart. And I have re-seated the ADS (ECU) box, again. Which should fix it, again.

Turning the wheel from lock to lock will reset the parametric steering so it knows where centre is. If the car thinks it should be turning when you are going straight, the ESP will apply brakes.

But mine does not pull to the side! The ESP control the brakes and will do strange things if the geometry is out.

Has it been kerbed or hit a major pothole ?

STAR!

10. OP
    OP
    borz

borz Active Member

Car:
    No I think it happend ofter I went over a speed bump,I will probably have the traking don first if that does not cure the problem it will have to be the sensor which have to be changed.

11. jefrs

jefrs Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S210 E320 Avantgarde '98 full load
    Hitting a big bump has been know to knock the ADS module loose on mine, that gives no end of idiot messages. I shall try securing it a little more firmly with some foam...

Also, I got rid of regular faults by servicing the earth points in the engine bay. The are three on mine, one under the air filter box - brown wires going to a bolt - clean and tighten.

Pulling to one side does sound like tracking, front or rear. This will throw up idiot messages from the ESP which thinks you want to be turning and will fight you. I was thinking reluctor sensors on mine but apparently not.

STAR will tell you where the faults originate but maybe not the underlying cause.
    The fault may come from a reluctor but that does not mean the reluctor is faulty, it may be telling the truth.

Tags: