ESP to ECU wiring (ESP Inoperative)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MeanMclean

Car
Mercedes Benz C220 CDI AMG Sport Estate
Hello all,
Bought a 2008 Mercedes C220 CDI estate AMG Sport and probably one of the nicest cars i've owned. however i have come across my first issue and am looking for a some help..

driving down the motorway and the ESP Inoperative light has come on and now the car will not go over 30,000 revs. looking on this ace site i now know it's on a safe mode and seemed a mechanic friend of mine with a STAR reader who cleared all the codes on the ECU's and the ESP light when off and no new codes at the time did not return. so thought it could of been my fault as when putting on cruise control i also hit on the LM speed limiter and the ECU may of had a wobble.
However, as we thought the ESP light has now returned and will not clear, the codes that have returned are.

*6264- Fault in CAN communication with control unit Engine control module
DTC Status: Current and stored

*7201 One or more signals sent from control unit Engine control module via the CAN bus is implausible.
DTC status: Current and stored

My mechanic friend believes it could well be the CAN wiring between the ECU and ESP module. but we are struggling to find the wiring diagram for this with colours,resistance values and there locations.

would any of you guys and gals know where we could obtain these or if you've had a similar issue what was achieved to clear the fault..

many thanks in advance.

Rhys-UK

Okay, so i took a trip to the local Benz dealer to tap up a few peoples minds. asked for a wiring diagram for the CAN bus wiring with seniors and locations. But MB were not able to provide this to me saying that it was all stored on there computers only.
turning into a bit of a mare now. :-(
can anyone shed a little light here for me?

no ideas anyone? or am i missing a thread or sticky??

Rhys

Get yourself a copy of WIS from ebay . You need the one that has a virtual machine with it to install it . It has all the info you need on it, can be tricky to find it, but its all there.

Nick

Wiring or ECU problems are unlikely to be the cause unless the wiring has been disturbed or subject to water ingress . ESP depends on inputs from various sensors--- wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensors or the brake light switch-- these are mechanical wear components and frequently the cause of ESP problems.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/133902-w203-eps-fault-2.html

Thanks for the feedback guys..

okay, using a reader again it looks like this could be the glass breakage sensor. as on another section of the reader this is showing as an open circuit and once cleared and the above codes are cleared. the ESP light goes off.
does anyone know where the glass breakage sensor is located?
cheers

forgot to add, the car is an 2008 C220 cdi estate W204

Last edited:
Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 320 4MATIC Wagon (210.282) V6-3.2L (112.941) (1998) > Accessories and Optional Equipment > Antitheft and Alarm Systems > Shock Sensor, Antitheft > Component Information > Description and Operation

Refers to a w211 but principle will be similar. You may have dislodged the connector to the sensor particularly the one on the rear door giving an intermittant fault?? Can't see why this would trigger the ESP light tho. Unless Star has wrongly identified the sensor circuit??-- wrong model identified at the diagnostic start?? - does it come up with the correct model etc on being plugged in?

Hi, grober.
i thought this also, why would the glass breakage sensor trigger the ESP.. only thing i can think off is its part of the CAN circuit. and used the right model on the Diagnostic reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom