ESP warning message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the car requires to be driven in that calibration mode then the parameters for it are that both the ABS light & THE EPS warning/light stay light on. Ive got the printout for it. can post it later but i doubt very much this is the problem and if you instigate this mode then you will have to get the calibration drive bang on. Since it wont be the problem (which is my opinion based on experience with them faults) it will be stuck on this mode until you actually resolve the original fault whatever it is THEN you will have to do the calibration drive afterwards. My advice, dont instigate this mode.

it could well be that after the steering wheel alignment that a steering angle sensor reset is required. It is a series of turns and driving straight performed at a certain speed. I did post it here somewhere but cannot remember, it was early in 2018. Its a STAR thing that i found by accident.
It sorted my ML out when it had same sort of issue.
I will try to find the post

I have to agree.
My ML had ESP/BAS lights on for some while at the time, they could not be reset by my MB2 or a garage scanner. I noticed the steering angle reset mode on the MB2, and when activated asked for this drive test to be performed. I did this in an empty car park early one morning, and as soon as i finished the test, the ESP/BAS/ABS lights went out and have never returned.

Was just tidying the boot of my car and found the 'old' sensor that was replaced. The part number on it is a 002 542 72 18 q01 which on a quick google suggests 'yaw rate sensor'. Is this the steering angle sensor that a few of you have mentioned before?

yaw sensor.jpg

If this mode has already been activated then there is no choice but to do it to attempt a reset. The confusion can begin if IT HASNT BEEN ACTIVATED and it is not actually in a test drive caibration mode. So you are attempting to do a calibration road test when its not even in that mode. If it is then it will come up with something like dyno drive test mode activated ( i cant remember exactly what it sais) in diagnostics but it doesnt automatically go into this mode. It has to be diagnostically set to START. And it will stay in this mode until it is reset with the proper drive sequence. So if it isnt in this mode and there is a fault then the drive sequence will not clear it. Point of my post should have said if the car is not set in the START ESP CALIBRATION DYNO MODE (and ur sure it isnt, because it doesnt flag up on a diagnostic as being in this mode) then DONT PUT IT INTO THIS MODE. What you will be doing is having it stuck in this mode until u solve the original problem. Hope u understand what my babbling is about. Steering angle sensor can kick the ESP message on but will NOT put the ABS light on. Question is : Did the garage set the car into drive dyno test mode ?

I have to agree.
My ML had ESP/BAS lights on for some while at the time, they could not be reset by my MB2 or a garage scanner. I noticed the steering angle reset mode on the MB2, and when activated asked for this drive test to be performed. I did this in an empty car park early one morning, and as soon as i finished the test, the ESP/BAS/ABS lights went out and have never returned.

Was just tidying the boot of my car and found the 'old' sensor that was replaced. The part number on it is a 002 542 72 18 q01 which on a quick google suggests 'yaw rate sensor'. Is this the steering angle sensor that a few of you have mentioned before?

View attachment 83721
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Shows what it is.
Plenty more on Youtube.

Wow, what a cool video! Though as my indicators work fine, and steering isn't stiff, does that mean that my steering angle sensor is still under suspicion? Also, was the garage correct on replacing the above 'yaw rate sensor' in the quest to fix ESP fault?

Wow, what a cool video! Though as my indicators work fine, and steering isn't stiff, does that mean that my steering angle sensor is still under suspicion? Also, was the garage correct on replacing the above 'yaw rate sensor' in the quest to fix ESP fault?
I don't think the steering angle sensor would cause those symptoms (indicators and stiff steering) as it would be an electronic problem.
I can't comment on the garage repair as the experience I have is that the ESP warning appeared as yours does a few seconds after starting the engine with no codes shown as the steering wheel was several degrees off centre because of changing lower suspension arms.
After tracking the warning disappeared after a few days driving but in your case it may indeed be a faulty sensor.

UPDATE:

After sitting on my driveway for a while (I was just too depressed to drive her), I took her out on a 10 mile drive this morning, ESP warning showed as usual. However, on arriving home and switching off, I genuinely had forgotten to get some milk LOL So, popped out on the errand, and this time the ESP message had disappeared! After a 6 mile return drive I switched it off, and restarted several times, the ESP message has gone. Now, I'm no fool, I don't believe anything really has cured, but does this disappearance constitute any further evidence for a diagnosis?

UPDATE:

After sitting on my driveway for a while (I was just too depressed to drive her), I took her out on a 10 mile drive this morning, ESP warning showed as usual. However, on arriving home and switching off, I genuinely had forgotten to get some milk LOL So, popped out on the errand, and this time the ESP message had disappeared! After a 6 mile return drive I switched it off, and restarted several times, the ESP message has gone. Now, I'm no fool, I don't believe anything really has cured, but does this disappearance constitute any further evidence for a diagnosis?
Still looks like the steering angle sensor caused the problem and then reset itself after a few hours of driving. Could be a one-off problem or could be on the way out. Meantime enjoy the lack of "messages".
PS If you don't reply to a post and use a new post no one will get an alert.

Hi

I had similar trouble with a w203 and also with a Cayenne and similar on a Range Rover L320

w203 it was the YAW sensor - My friend left a bottle of coolant in the boot which leaked over time and ruined the YAW sensor (it was all crusty whiter flaky etc) I guess even damp over time could do this..
I had 2 w203s at the time so swapped units but after much trail and error realised the replacemnt MUST BE EXACTLY the same part number including the Q number as they have different versions.

On the Cayenne it was a wheel speed sensor - the housing for it was caked in crud I think I replaced one or two plenty of trail and error but got there in the end after cleaning all 4.

Wheel speed sensors can be knocked or damaged or endure rust or debris when other parts are being changed

on the Range rover is was down to the steering wheel being off center. Again much trail and error and thinking outside the box - I took the wheel off and re calibrated the central point then got the alignment done. I know we sometimes hold the steering wheel in what we believe to be straight/dead ahead but technically its not straight and the cars monitors pick this up.

Oh and YAW sensor must be fitted in exact way removed its like a spirit level it picks up any odd movements eg body roll and can kick in the ESP or turn it off if it feels compromised.

w203 it was the YAW sensor - My friend left a bottle of coolant in the boot which leaked over time and ruined the YAW sensor (it was all crusty whiter flaky etc) I guess even damp over time could do this..
Good to know my garage was barking up the right tree in replacing this sensor. Yesterday I drove about 90 miles with numerous stop/starts, and still no error message. She's such a lovely car to drive when she behaves herself!

I didnt mention it there but I relocated the YAW sensor thinking I was being clever and that Mercedes had put it in a silly place (Some things they do ... like the SL hydraulic pump I think which is covered in foam which soaks up water and moisture ) anyways I relocated it slightly away from exposure to boot spills and the car went mental ! It really must go back exactly as it was. Very interesting thing the YAW sensor.

Well, after 7 whole days (!) of error free motoring, the ESP warning has come back, and this time it's been joined by a 'red - visit workshop' SRS warning!! Honestly, my faith in driving a premium brand car is totally destroyed now, I've pampered her as much as I can since getting it last year. But, for anyone that's ever seen that famous Fawlty Towers scene where Basil starts hammering his errant car with a tree branch, well that's how I feel now. I've had enough, I'm now beaten into submission, and as far as I'm concerned now, she's off to the scrap yard...

Well, after 7 whole days (!) of error free motoring, the ESP warning has come back, and this time it's been joined by a 'red - visit workshop' SRS warning!! Honestly, my faith in driving a premium brand car is totally destroyed now, I've pampered her as much as I can since getting it last year. But, for anyone that's ever seen that famous Fawlty Towers scene where Basil starts hammering his errant car with a tree branch, well that's how I feel now. I've had enough, I'm now beaten into submission, and as far as I'm concerned now, she's off to the scrap yard...

If you get both ESP and SRS messages, then (assuming it's not a coincidence of course) it's almost certainly the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor or a component near it (e.g. the electrical connector). This is because the steering wheel is pretty much the only place on the car where these two systems share a location.

Honestly, my faith in driving a premium brand car is totally destroyed now

It’s 20 years old... of course stuff will go wrong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Shows what it is.
Plenty more on Youtube.

That's where I would start, change the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor.

View attachment 83721
I think my yaw sensor has gone . I found one on Ebay (£25) BUT I can't locate the sensor in the car. (CLK320 convertible LPG conversion 2000) . I have tried to look under the transmission tunnel (struggling to remove all of the trim) any ideas where it is located ? Im no mechanic, but willing to learn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom