Esporta Gym Membership..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

I am warning everyone on here about this chain of gyms.

They treat their customers terribly and not only that they have barely any free-weights and its full of posers. They also renew your membership without informing you first.

I tried to cancel my membership today at this crappy place. And i was told i needed to give THREE months notice. Are they having a laugh?

The only reason i joined was because it was part of the company package for my job. And now i am being informed the contract is being renewed without my knowledge and i need to give three months notice.

I am going back to basics, and going to my previous gyms. At least there they have freeweights. And a person can do squats, deadlifts and rows without fear of being interrupted by a poser.

Not impressed at all. I am having a meeting with a regional manager on monday. And i am pretty much going to say that my employment contract is more reasonable than the gyms.

Esporta? never again. I'll leave the posers to it...

Last edited:
Donza if you have room, buy your own stuff. I couldn't be bothered with all the show offs and waiting for equipment while the poseurs/posers/t-shirt muscle brigade hogged the stuff I wanted to use while gabbing.

You can get yourself something like a bench, power rack, olympic weight set and dumbells, all in for about 600 quid. Bearing in mind that a gym membership will cost you about that over the year.........

I used to be with Esporta as I lived right next door to one.
They were rubbish hardly any free weights all this fancy equipment for bored housewives.

Tons of poseurs in the london ones............ and there was always some nice talent there...........when the wife wasnt looking

Tons of poseurs in the london ones............ and there was always some nice talent there...........when the wife wasnt looking

I thought that was what a gym was for :p

I used to be with Esporta as I lived right next door to one.
They were rubbish hardly any free weights all this fancy equipment for bored housewives.

The thing is that gyms such as esporta don't want people who will train with free weights as this requires much more space... machines occupy alot less space and also are alot easier and safer to use, though are less effective than free weights. I prefer free weights and find it's a more natural path for exercises.

Which branch of Esporta was it? I was a member at Esporta Chiselhurst and they were fantastic, when I moved house I would have joined Esporta again, but my local branch is on a private estate and costs nearly twice the amount that I pay at Virgin Active.

Donza if you have room, buy your own stuff. I couldn't be bothered with all the show offs and waiting for equipment while the poseurs/posers/t-shirt muscle brigade hogged the stuff I wanted to use while gabbing.

You can get yourself something like a bench, power rack, olympic weight set and dumbells, all in for about 600 quid. Bearing in mind that a gym membership will cost you about that over the year.........

It's a nice idea but usually not too practical, the amount of weights that you need to use would be best off on a concrete base which for most would mean turning their garage into a gym, the other thing is if you decide to have a session where you really want to push yourself there's no-one around to spot you (or help in the case of injury).

I get a good deal on local leisure centres, but for weights I'd rather go to a sweat & sawdust gym - much better people in there (imo)

For freeweights, the dumbells alone would need to range from 5 kilos up to 45, that's a hell of a lot of money if you don't want cheap bad quality stuff.

I used to use Fitness First but in the end even though I was going from 8pm till 10pm was getting wound up by the idiots thinking it was their personal gym. Hurt my back and went back after I was ready, I managed a fortnight and just stopped going, the steroid wonders had grown in size but not in brains and the egos in there were ridiculous.

I kayak now when I can and will hopefully get a water rower when I get my own place. Fantastic pieces of kit.

Dave!

For freeweights, the dumbells alone would need to range from 5 kilos up to 45, that's a hell of a lot of money if you don't want cheap bad quality stuff.!

I don't have different dumbells, I bought a pair of dumbell handles from argos and the weight discs I bought from tesco. I can make up a pair of dumbells up to 60kg at home.

I used to use Fitness First but in the end even though I was going from 8pm till 10pm was getting wound up by the idiots thinking it was their personal gym. Hurt my back and went back after I was ready, I managed a fortnight and just stopped going, the steroid wonders had grown in size but not in brains and the egos in there were ridiculous.!

I noticed this when I used to train at a university gym in Cardiff. I don't know if you'd count me as a meathead. I can deadlift 220kg comfortably, squat 180kg, but my bench press is only 130 kg..... I am not on steroids, never done them. The thing that used to wind me up was people like you said who would drop weights or hog equipment while not actually using them. Have you noticed that the steroid wonders never actually do any exercises that really exerts them, except working their chest and arms.

I train at home, being fortunate enough to have a large living room with solid floor. I agree it's safer to train with a partner. However you don't need a massive amount of weights to build a good physique :)

Different people want different things from a gym.

My bessie mate's Dad was a weightlifter, so my mate has been in an around gyms just about every day for well over 25 years (since he was about seven). There is no way he would consider any of the glassy panel gyms. He wants to be in a place focussed on what he wants, with people who want to do the same thing.

I stopped going with him when I was about 12, not to return until I was about 25, but I was looking for something different. I wanted to keep fit in a nice environment with people like me, tubby ageing people who like to sit in the jacuzzi rather than pump iron, look at eye candy, and have a latte whilst reading the paper afterwards. So I joined Esporta.

Sounds like you just joined the wrong gym based on what you've described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom