Esso "high performance" diesel...NOT

culpano

Active Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
662
Location
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
I've read several reports that the Esso high performance diesel is the highest quality diesel fuel you can buy. Having used Shell Diesel Extra and BP Performance Diesel I thought I'd give it a try. So far the car is driving like a dog. I can't believe how sluggish the car feels and it's noiser and sounds less refined. I've recently had my injectors replaced under warranty and thought that may be the problem. I've basically been scratching my head over this and today realised what may be the problem. I'd filled up with the bog standard Esso Diesel :eek: I was sure it is called "Esso Energy" and that's what it said on the pump but thinking back now it only cost 93p a litre so it must have been the standard Esso Diesel. If that's the case what is the Esso high performance diesel called ?
 

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
6,283
Location
East Midlands
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
culpano said:
I've read several reports that the Esso high performance diesel is the highest quality diesel fuel you can buy. Having used Shell Diesel Extra and BP Performance Diesel I thought I'd give it a try. So far the car is driving like a dog. I can't believe how sluggish the car feels and it's noiser and sounds less refined. I've recently had my injectors replaced under warranty and thought that may be the problem. I've basically been scratching my head over this and today realised what may be the problem. I'd filled up with the bog standard Esso Diesel :eek: I was sure it is called "Esso Energy" and that's what it said on the pump but thinking back now it only cost 93p a litre so it must have been the standard Esso Diesel. If that's the case what is the Esso high performance diesel called ?

It is all called Esso Energy now they have just changed the signs on the pumps of my local garage. :confused:
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
i only use shell and esso . Not really noticed much difference between either.
 
OP
OP
culpano

culpano

Active Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
662
Location
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Brian WH said:
It is all called Esso Energy now they have just changed the signs on the pumps of my local garage. :confused:

Did they used to have two types of Esso Diesel then and now it's just one ???
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
culpano said:
Did they used to have two types of Esso Diesel then and now it's just one ???

Ive got an esso fuel card , so use mainly esso stations . Ive only ever seen one diesel.
 

skemball

Active Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
129
Location
Berkshire
Car
E320 CDi
Id like to know wat the difference is with the so called 'High performance' diesel fuels?? :confused:

Does it have a higher calorific value, higher 'octane' ??


with petrol the high performance versions have a higher octane which for engines with higher compression ratios will benefit from.
 

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
7,389
Location
Cheshire, UK
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
I regularly use all different types of diesel, including Shell (they have 2 kinds but both the same price), Mobil, Esso, Texaco and I frequently use both Sainsbury's (sometimes several tankfulls in a row) and Adsa diesel.
I can't honestly tell the difference between any of them, and in fact my car's best ever fuel consumption run was back from Bristol where I filled up with Asda diesel (and 7p worth of unleaded :( ) and the car did 49MPG on the run home.
 

Dieselman

Banned
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
34,206
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
skemball said:
Id like to know wat the difference is with the so called 'High performance' diesel fuels?? :confused:

Does it have a higher calorific value, higher 'octane' ??


with petrol the high performance versions have a higher octane which for engines with higher compression ratios will benefit from.


High energy diesels have a higher cetane value.
Most aftermarket additives achieve the same value for about 1p/litre. In addition they have cleaning additives and lubrication additives.

I've never noticed any real mpg differences from different fuels.
 

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 14, 2004
Messages
4,792
Location
Uxbridge
Car
G350, Duster, S320, 900ss and a few more
E$$O!!! GAHHH!!!
www.stopesso.com
... yes, I know...

let my bbq begin..
 

Copiertech

Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
58
i felt my van performed better using rix bioblend diesel, it can do 74-5 mph on the same slight uphill on the a90 where on shell fuel its topped out at 71-2mph
 

Dieselman

Banned
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
34,206
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Copiertech said:
i felt my van performed better using rix bioblend diesel, it can do 74-5 mph on the same slight uphill on the a90 where on shell fuel its topped out at 71-2mph

That's because the bio diesel oil is a naturally oxygenated fuel so gives a more complete burn.
 

Copiertech

Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
58
so i wasnt imagining it then. shame my nearest rix staiton is near aberdeen, about 130 miles away. those extra few mph make a difference when your overtaking hgvs in a clapped out non turbo citroen van. got better mpg on the rix fuel too.
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Copiertech said:
so i wasnt imagining it then. shame my nearest rix staiton is near aberdeen, about 130 miles away. those extra few mph make a difference when your overtaking hgvs in a clapped out non turbo citroen van. got better mpg on the rix fuel too.


ohhh ,we got a rix just up the road ....

is biodiesel that good?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom