Estate boot cover not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ady

Car
E 220d Estate
The boot cover has stopped moving up and down when I open the tailgate. It stopped working once before so I was going to get it looked at when the car went in for service but typically it started working again just befotre it went in. Has anyone got any suggestions of simple things I can try to make it work before I book it in again?

No ideas but mine is going in next week to have it and another problemette fixed. If anything intelligible comes from it, I will post.

my dealer avoided the issue so many times!!

I ended up selling the car because of all the niggles!

Does it click when its going up and down? like its slipping?

BonzoDog said:
No ideas but mine is going in next week to have it and another problemette fixed. If anything intelligible comes from it, I will post.

Hi Ady,
Sorry I can't offer any constructive advice, but we have never used the boot cover.

If there is ANYTHING you would like us to try with our cover then PLEASE feel free to ask.

I note that Bonzo has a small problem with his 211. Is this vehicle a 2005 model? I only ask because of folks informing us that the 2005 models are allegedly problem free!

I say this last remark very much tongue in cheek, because I simply disagree with the claim. My own belief is that the 211 has many, many electronic gizzmo's and unfortunately some of them have teething problems. I am not happy about that situation, but I am a realist. I have just bought a high end flat screen monitor and have had it replaced twice in two months.

Good luck resolving the issue and please feel free to get back to me if I can try anything on our vehicle.

Kind regards,
John

Mine sometimes seems to get confused if I open the tailgate & then shut it again very soon after, i.e before all the usual whirring on opening would have stopped.

That seems to be solved in my case by unclipping the cover from the rail (so it retracts) closing & after a few seconds opening tailgate. Reattach cover so it sits in the closed position, close tailgate and again wait a few seconds before opening.

Typical, I opened the tailgate this morning to test it before phoning the dealer and it is working again.
Both times that it has failed consistently is after I have been away and not used the car for a week or so. I have had the odd occasion were it has not worked once and then been OK again but after the periods of no use it has not worked at all for a week or more.
I tried unclipping it and putting it back, etc while it wasn’t working but it had no effect. There were no noises at all coming from it so I don’t think it was even trying to lift.
Thanks for the offer John but I just have no idea what to ask you to try, especially as mine is magically working again and it looks no different. Maybe there is a sticky switch somewhere.
It will be interesting if they find anything on BonzDog’s to explain the fault.

Ady said:
Typical, I opened the tailgate this morning to test it before phoning the dealer and it is working again.

When we had the very intermittant problem with our folding wing mirrors the dealership did not even quibble, they replaced the motors straight away.

I wonder if DaimlerChrylser has issued any sort of directive to their dealers to rectify any electronic complaints?

I would definitely, but definitely mention it as these little problems are extremely frustrating.

Fingers crossed for you,
John

Ady said:
Both times that it has failed consistently is after I have been away and not used the car for a week or so.

Are you experiencing the battery protection warning on start up? If so wonder if this might be one of the disabled ancilliary services pending the battery being charged up

Satch said:
Are you experiencing the battery protection warning on start up? If so wonder if this might be one of the disabled ancilliary services pending the battery being charged up

Good spotting Satch,
One of the 'upgrades' we had was to rectify the problem you are describing.

Ady,
Have you checked that your vehicle is fully up todate with all the so called upgrades?

John

Satch said:

It had crossed my mind but everything else is working OK. The only time I have had the warning message is when I picked the car up and that was because we had been playing with all the toys for well over an hour without the engine running. Then, even the passenger seat wouldn't move until the battery had charged, which only took a bout 15 minutes or so. This problem has lasted well over a week on both occasions and the car is used a lot so the battery would have been re-charged on the first trip.

As far as I know it has had all the updates applied, which is what I have been told by the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom