Estate (S212) boot won't close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robaa

Car
E220CDI (S212)
Hi All,

Suddenly I can't seem to close my boot (2012 E-class estate). When I press the close button, the 'door' lowers down as normal, but before the lock catches, there is the warning chime as if something is stuck in between, and the door reopens. I've checked everything around the door frame, but there is nothing anywhere, at least not visible.

I can force the door to stay down, but it won't lock, ie. can be opened even when the car is otherwise locked. Also, the cargo area lights don't go off (which probably means I'll have a flat battery in the morning! EDIT: Yeah, they do go off after a while. Phew.).

Having tried now several times to close it, I've also noticed that after the door opens fully, there is a bit of a creaking sound, followed by a slight click, and then a louder sound, like a metallic snap. I've never heard these before, so can only assume they're somehow related to this.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
robaa

Last edited:
I have read that the hinges can become stiff if not lubricated, I doubt this is your problem but it’s worth opening it and giving the hinges and struts a really good dose of lubricant.

I hope you sort it ok.

Robin

Im wondering whether it could be the actual locking mechanism that's a bit sticky?

I’ve known the latch to fail on MLs which could cause what you describe, effectively the latch is not opening, grabbing and holding the tailgate.

Also, just double check that the lever isn’t sticking when using it. If sticking it could result in the latch not operating but you would usually hear the motor running.

If you can’t hear the motor, then my guess would be that the latch is at fault.

I’ve known the latch to fail on MLs which could cause what you describe, effectively the latch is not opening, grabbing and holding the tailgate.

Also, just double check that the lever isn’t sticking when using it. If sticking it could result in the latch not operating but you would usually hear the motor running.

If you can’t hear the motor, then my guess would be that the latch is at fault.
Same thing happens to S211's.

Latch failed on my W211 E280 cdi sports estate.
Main dealer said they sell the replacements by the dozen.
This was some 7 years ago.
It's not failed again .... although I'm always reminding Ms. J. not to slam it down..
Problem is - She has to close the boot on her W203 C200 pretty firmly, while the estate does it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom