Estimate for Bodywork on CLK W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SK007

Car
CLK230 & ML350
Hello,

This is my first post and I'm looking for advice for restoring my 2002 CLK.

I have the usual rust spots on the arches, boot and bonnet, a few scratches and a couple of dents.

I've had the car for over 8 years and would like to bring it back to it former glory. Do you know how much I will need to budget for get this type of bodywork fixed to and restored to a good level?

A bit difficult to judge based on the description. Maybe best to post some pictures.

I haven't got the photos for the arches and the boot. Both areas have rust spots, similar to the bonnet pic.

Sounds to me like all the panels need work, in which case you're looking at a total respray at £3k or more.

Sounds to me like all the panels need work, in which case you're looking at a total respray at £3k or more.

Would that include all the prep work, rust removal, bumper repair, etc?

If it was me I'd sell/scrap it and spend £3k on a W209 CLK 2004 onwards :cool:
That's a bit harsh! If the OP's owned the car for 8+ years and is planning to spend some time/ money on it, he's probably formed a bit of an emotional bond.
Good luck with your restoration. If the car is still on the road, visit a few businesses to get some quotes. Personally I'd visit a few body shops which restore classics on a regular basis as they may be more use to dealing with your corrosion issues.

Wow I don't know where you get your paint done! Panels don't need painting that will treat and blow in, rest will repair, if the arches are in the usual state on CLK then with the guy I use you are looking at £850 tops he did my arches and boot 6 years ago and they are still perfect back then he charged me £180

Same guy did my mates 210 did both wings 4 doors and boot all blended and polished in £560 that was 18 months ago and it's still good with no rust back

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh! If the OP's owned the car for 8+ years and is planning to spend some time/ money on it, he's probably formed a bit of an emotional bond.
Good luck with your restoration. If the car is still on the road, visit a few businesses to get some quotes. Personally I'd visit a few body shops which restore classics on a regular basis as they may be more use to dealing with your corrosion issues.

Thanks for the reply. I brought the car when it was 5 years old with very low mileage, about 8 years ago and it has been serviced / maintained / repaired religiously ever since. I've clocked over 150k miles and everything else has been working fine or its been replaced in the recent years. But unfortunately, the bodywork has suffered and gone through a few trolley incidents. I'm just aiming to get it looking back its former glory.

Wow I don't know where you get your paint done! Panels don't need painting that will treat and blow in, rest will repair, if the arches are in the usual state on CLK then with the guy I use you are looking at £850 tops he did my arches and boot 6 years ago and they are still perfect back then he charged me £180

Same guy did my mates 210 did both wings 4 doors and boot all blended and polished in £560 that was 18 months ago and it's still good with no rust back

Thanks for the info!

Where is your guy based?

The guys called Nick and he works out of a unit at the end of Charles Street, In Kilnhurst, Like a big Nissan Hut but high tech inside. I'm not at home at the moment so dont have his details to hand, but there is no company name and he doesn't advertise as he doesn't need to

The guys called Nick and he works out of a unit at the end of Charles Street, In Kilnhurst, Like a big Nissan Hut but high tech inside. I'm not at home at the moment so dont have his details to hand, but there is no company name and he doesn't advertise as he doesn't need to

Thanks, there are so many body shops it's hard to know who to choose. Always prefer to go on a recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom