etyres problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrel

I purchased 2 tyres from etyres as they were 10% cheaper than ATS. The fitting was fine but when I next drove the car the balancing was very bad at all speeds above 50 mph.
I reported the problem to etyres but the fitter never rang. I called again and the fitter rang back and promised to rebalance the wheels. The day he was due, he called to say he had the wrong weights so arranged another day. He failed to turn up.
I then had the wheels balanced elsewhere and was told the wheels could never have been balanced as the original weights were still on and there were no new ones!
I reported this to etyres and was asked to send the balancing receipt. It is over two months now and, despite assurances whenever I chase, I have received no money back. I wish I had not bothered trying to save a few pounds as I have wasted more than that on rebalancing and wasted time.

Squirrel said:
I reported this to etyres and was asked to send the balancing receipt. It is over two months now and, despite assurances whenever I chase, I have received no money back. I wish I had not bothered trying to save a few pounds as I have wasted more than that on rebalancing and wasted time.
Write them a letter, stating all the facts, times and dates involved, any names etc and demand payment within 14 days or you will take them to the small claims court. This is usually enough to start wheels turning.

If they call your bluff then taking them to court is the small matter of about £50 initially and it is highly likely you will win as not only are all the facts in your favour but they will probably not turn up to represent themselves. They will be mandated by the court to pay up and not doing so would land them in a lot of trouble, if you win you will also get your costs paid by them.

You don't have to take my word for it, someone far more experienced than me in this matter will reply I'm sure!

I had exactly the same problem with etyres. Used them in an emergency but definately won't be using them again. Steering wobble between 50-70 was a joke!!

I've used etyres recently and didn't have any problems (well, apart from the fitter nicking my coffee mug :rolleyes: ). On time, reasonable cost, *very* convenient, didn't damage my wheels (unlike many tyre shops).

I would use them again, but might not offer them a drink next time :D

etyres are a franchised op. If you are getting nowhere with your local branch, complain to the head office. Not worth their reputation getting damaged for a couple of quid.

E-tyres did exactly the same thing with me - ended up getting re-balanced locally and never getting any money back from them. Wouldn't use them again.

-simon

I was planning to use them very soon. Don't think I'll bother now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mate with a BMW 5 series had an etyres "experience" although the fitting and balancing was OK in the end. Mobile fitter turned up late with the right size but wrong rated tyres, tried to fit them anyway but was told where to go. Went off in a huff and when he (eventually) returned with the correct ones spent a lot of his time moaning about the pittance he got for doing such jobs on a sub-contract basis for an etyres franchisee who was really badly organised.

So this is the problem:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/franchise-opportunities/how-etyres-works.htm

"The order, placed by either of the above methods is then entered into the server at head office.

From there the details, excluding the final part of the credit card details, are transmitted by either email or fax to the Franchisee (or sub-contractor) in the area where the fitting is to take place. Details of the job are printed onto a form that contains delivery and proof of delivery notes.

The Franchisee orders the tyres from the supplier and contacts the Customer to make final arrangements about the fitting. In particular, the time that the fitting will be carried out."

It is nothing more than an order taking and processing function that spins everything out to local franchisees who may in turn sub contract. In law and from a business perspective they should care but as we see reality can be different.

Problems tend to just get passed down the Franchise/sub contract chain again and sometimes to no good effect. There simply is no other remediation process available.

Shude said:
Write them a letter, stating all the facts, times and dates involved, any names etc and demand payment within 14 days or you will take them to the small claims court. This is usually enough to start wheels turning.

If they call your bluff then taking them to court is the small matter of about £50 initially and it is highly likely you will win as not only are all the facts in your favour but they will probably not turn up to represent themselves. They will be mandated by the court to pay up and not doing so would land them in a lot of trouble, if you win you will also get your costs paid by them.

You don't have to take my word for it, someone far more experienced than me in this matter will reply I'm sure!

You can use the court service Money claim online, the costs depends on the amount of the claim. Starts at £30.

Its simple to register the debt online.

Use etyres head office address as the defendants address. Letters will be sent from the Court to this address. The defendant will usually pay when the first letter is sent from the Court.

If they dont pay then a judgment will been made by the County Court, and if etyres still dont pay, you can instruct a Bailiff to collect the money on your behalf.

All Court costs and Bailiff costs will have to be paid by etyres.

Wobbly ( Certificated Court Bailiff )

Poor Service from Etyres

My opinion - etyres is crap.

The reason why the guy didn't or couldn't balance your wheels properly is most likely because they use an old fashioned "wheel balancing machine" in their vans.

They spin it by hand and it is supposed to bleep and indicate just where any weights are required. I suspect that Noah had one installed in the Ark.

The only problem is that the slightest bit of wind or vibration can throw the whole thing off :eek:

Etyres might be cheap, but I don't want my car to shake to bits due to poor balancing.

It's like some one offering you mobile brain surgery - fine if you want it cheap. Not so good if you want it to be a success.

Etyres is also a franchise company so anyone with money can apply to run an Etyres service.

Unlike proper garages and tyre outfits I doubt if Etyres have ever dumped any of their franchisees due to poor service

Best of luck getting a refund - you deserve it.

Cheers,

Baz

Last edited:
You can use the court service Money claim online

If they dont pay then a judgment will been made by the County Court,

Wobbly ( Certificated Court Bailiff )

I very much doubt that.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves and refute the allegation in court.

So it is not an automatic proceedure at all if the defendent also goes to court to answer the allegation.

I've used e-tyres 3 or 4 times now. The only problem I've ever had was one time when they phoned on the day they were supposed to fit the tyres saying the fitter was very busy and could they fit them next day instead.

I contacted the head office and got a full apology and a 10% discount on the tyres to be fitted and on my next order for the inconvenience. No problems in the way they handled my complaint at all.

I've never had any wheel balancing problems since using e-tyres, but as they are a franchise, it will depend on who covers your area. The guys that have fitted mine have all been exceptionally carefull not to damage the alloys and to balance properly. The service I've had from them is so good, my son now uses them as well.

Russ

Help needed to fight e-tyres

If there is anyone out their who wants to take Etyes to court, please e-mail me on [email protected]. Only contact me if you are an ex franchise.

Mr x. Whilst I appreciate that you feel hard done by, saying in a public place that they conned you may not be very smart. If they claim you damaged the etyres brand by defaming it's directors, it is they who could sue you. A good solicitor will ascertain if you have been "conned", or if "misrepresentation" has occured or if in fact you just signed up to a franchaise without checking it out first. Maybe some moderation could occur here ??

Potentially slanderous posts removed.

Request for other victims remain (which should be enough of a warning to others)

One thread detailing franchise issues remain should one wish to do a search.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom