eu helps itself to savers money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Not sure what showing some historical figures add here?

From memory, diesel is about £1.45 per litre, of which ~70p is tax in one form or another.

Compare that to when tax used to be over 80% of the retail price...

At the end of the day it a charge that has to be paid for the luxury of motoring, but it you don't like it either use less fuel or tell your politician... :)

The problem with banning threads that have "political"content is that virtually all aspects of life are political. :doh: Government fuel taxation and vehicle licencing policy is a case in point. It has direct bearing on the driving and owning of Mercedes cars- its hugely political -should this not be discussed? The frequent complaints from some members of the forum that threads are political reminds me of a old local councillor of my acquaintance whose constant mantra was
:ban:" LETS KEEP POLITICS OUT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT" :ban:

which of course as all his fellow councillors knew was really

:devil: "LETS KEEP POLITICS I PERSONALLY DISAGREE WITH OUT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT":devil:

he genuinely couldn't see the distinction. :wallbash:

If the moderators want to keep politics etc off the agenda fine- as long as they are rigorous, consistent and unbiased in their approach I won't object.

Because their Govt chose to. A POLITICAL decision.

Hence why this will be locked if the forum policy is adhered to.

So panic ensues the EU, currencies crash and the prices of our Mercs become unattainable to many members. See the link?

At the end of the day it a charge that has to be paid for the luxury of motoring, but it you don't like it either use less fuel or tell your politician... :)

Fuel is expensive, and I moan about it (not here anymore as its boring) but at the end of the day, you can choose efficient cars that use less of it when it comes to changing cars. Our very own Redbaron is tooling around in a BMW 320d and last time we spoke, it averages 54mpg. Insanely good for a large-ish size of car.

My motoring is mainly pleasure, and IMHO £50 for a day out is not too bad. If I drove Pauls car, I could get that down to £40 when I change cars?

Last edited:
Its the social aspect of the forum which is so good.

Or not as the case may be.
Have you not noticed the long winded, political discussion "social" threads, posted by a small minority are killing this forum and very few members actually post now?

So panic ensues the EU, currencies crash and the prices of our Mercs become unattainable to many members. See the link?

No I don't see your point. All is see is a political thread waiting to get locked by enforcing a policy that will cause more conflict than the perception it was designed upon ever did.

Fuel is expensive, and I moan about it (not here anymore as its boring) but at the end of the day, you can choose efficient cars that use less of it when it comes to changing cars. Our very own Redbaron is tooling around in a BMW 320d and last time we spoke, it averages 54mpg. Insanely good for a large-ish size of car.

My motoring is mainly pleasure, and IMHO £50 for a day out is not too bad. If I drove Pauls car, I could get that down to £40 when I change cars?

No I don't see your point. All is see is a political thread waiting to get locked by enforcing a policy that will cause more conflict than the perception it was designed upon ever did.

How is your BMW going Paul?

Its off topic section, so we can talk about non MB cars here?:D

A ban on politics/football/religion is not the answer.. Moving OT out of the limelight but allowing all discussion topics is far more sensible.

It just needs to be excluded from new posts / todays posts as a forum - so those here for mercedes info can find it.... and those who come only to debate can do so without it overpowering the forum purpose.

Do as other forums do limit it's visibility or limit that discussion topic to a single thread.

How is your BMW going Paul?

Its off topic section, so we can talk about non MB cars here?:D

My BMW is fine thanks Steve. Please dont sully me with the cheapness of someone who cares about fuel use though... I bought it because it was the best car. I don't pay for my fuel so mpg is not an issue for me. CO2 affects tax banding but that is about it.

The problem with that Paul is the high handedness and bitterness is carried onto the other boards and feuds in OT spill into forum life.

Quite why someone would come to an MB forum to discuss savings in a foreign country defeats me quite honestly when there is the Martin Lewis forums.

I might go there and discuss the corrosion issues on diamond cut alloys and where to get them painted?

The problem with that Paul is the high handedness and bitterness is carried onto the other boards and feuds in OT spill into forum life.

Quite why someone would come to an MB forum to discuss savings in a foreign country defeats me quite honestly when there is the Martin Lewis forums.

I might go there and discuss the corrosion issues on diamond cut alloys and where to get them painted?

Don't forget to turn every thread there into a political battleground about which party has shafted us most...

I wonder how long you would last...:rolleyes:

My BMW is fine thanks Steve. Please dont sully me with the cheapness of someone who cares about fuel use though... I bought it because it was the best car. I don't pay for my fuel so mpg is not an issue for me. CO2 affects tax banding but that is about it.

LOL. I am a cheap g1t so every penny matters...:bannana::bannana::bannana:
CO2 and BIK would greatly affect a company car driver I imagine, so I think you have made the right choice.

Taken it to Wales yet for a proper shakedown on real roads.

I'd be curious to read your thoughts as you've had a 204 also and as we know, Wales is a great place to go and drive:D:D

Don't forget to turn every thread there into a political battleground about which party has shafted us most...

I wonder how long you would last...:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting I troll a nice friendly forum with my own embittered and nasty views and try and make it as horrible a place as I can for its nice pleasant members?

This place will revert back to being a fun car forum.

I know of another "fun" car forum where near enough *every* post is answered by 1 elderly gentleman, and despite 99% of the posts there being related to MBs it's really really boring.

Is not the attraction of this forum the wide variety of topics and wide variety of people posting?

Or do we want a forum where lost sheep come to get an emailed "papers" and a few regulars meet in pubs and do what retired people do?

I also recall on that forum you said Nick, this is a really nice forum if you want to come and have a chat, and you mentioned this forum as somewhere to go if you want to have an argument?

LOL. I am a cheap g1t so every penny matters...:bannana::bannana::bannana:
CO2 and BIK would greatly affect a company car driver I imagine, so I think you have made the right choice.

Taken it to Wales yet for a proper shakedown on real roads.

I'd be curious to read your thoughts as you've had a 204 also and as we know, Wales is a great place to go and drive:D:D

Am off to wales at the end of the month as part of a revenue collection service. They will make me aware of how speed kills. The irony of going to the evo triangle straight from the revenue collection event will be lost on them. The day after im heading to north yorkshire for the easter breakfast meet in Malton... you coming?

I also recall on that forum you said Nick, this is a really nice forum if you want to come and have a chat, and you mentioned this forum as somewhere to go if you have a fight?

Old people like the "more tea vicar?" lifestyle, those with a bit more about them like driving at warp speed , having fun and the occasional fight (of words).

Innit.

Is not the attraction of this forum the wide variety of topics and wide variety of people posting?

It might be if we had that scenario, but a small group of old men moaning about politics every day is highly tedious.

If I wanted that, I'd go and visit my Father in Law..which I don't anymore for that very reason.

Am off to wales at the end of the month as part of a revenue collection service. They will make me aware of how speed kills. The irony of going to the evo triangle straight from the revenue collection event will be lost on them. The day after im heading to north yorkshire for the easter breakfast meet in Malton... you coming?

if its the last weekend of the month I am in Aberdeen taking down this

PHD - We can deliver to your door the BIGGEST PIZZA in Aberdeen; The Gatecrasher. This massive 2 Foot by 2 Foot pizza is 32 slices of mouth-watering flavour and is also the cheapest pizza per square inch in Aberdeen. Call us on 01224 211220

And then off here to hoover up

Chinese Pan Asian buffet restaurants in Chatham, Coventry, Eastbourne, Romford, Swansea, Swindon, Tunbridge Wells, Wolverhampton

This weekend coming I could be headed the Wales way, I'll drop you a PM if so. Its weather dependent, I've got a week off and fancy a tour, so its Wales if its half decent down there, or the highlands if decent up there?

Old people like the "more tea vicar?" lifestyle, those with a bit more about them like driving at warp speed , having fun and the occasional fight (of words).

Innit.

In your Corsa van? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom