EU4 engines: fuel economy issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the zacster

Car
Volvo V70 D5
I'm heading off to test-drive a March '05 E280CDI estate over the weekend, which the stealer tells me is the newish EU4 spec. (I'd thought that the EU4s only came in late last year to be compliant with the mandatory EU4 requirement from Jan-'06). Anyway, I read somewhere on the forum that the early EU4 engines may have been a problem (with lots of people complaining about the economy as MB turned up the fuel to compensate for the filter).

As fuel economy is reasonably important to me, I wondered whether anyone had any insight into problems (part vis-a-vis fuel economy) on the earlier EU4 engines (as I assume a March '05 car would have been one of the earliest EU4s)? Thanks

I have just bought a new E280CDi Estate, and i am getting about 25-26 mpg on shortish town and country journeys. I have now done 550 miles, and I hope that this will improve. Any other people with the same experience?

Wow - 25/26mpg is lower than I'd expect (and even lower than the 29mpg I get driving my 330Ci around London). It'd be interesting to hear from any other 280CDI drivers out there whether their fuel economy is any better?

There's a heck of lot more weight to get moving in an E Class estate than a 3 Series BMW. Is your BMW auto?
Big auto diesels are great at motorway crusing, but economy takes a hammering if you're stopping and starting a lot.

My C270CDi Estate easily does 45+ on long motorway runs, but a trip into town will show low 30's.

Last edited:
No, my Beamer is manual. Your 270CDI's figures are good. In fact, they're so good relative to those reported by s999sws's 280 that I'm wondering whether I should opt for a 270!?! That said, I assume s999sws's 280 figure will improve as the engine beds in!?!

This is just my personal opinion, but I'd steer well clear of the 270 engine. Was in an E270 last night and I felt it to be too obviously a diesel, the vibration at tickover and low revs not to mention the noise totally spoilt the feeling of being in a quality car. In fact the mondeo diesel I had last week was smoother. The new V6 engines are apparently much better.

My CLK 270CDI does 42MPG overall and I drive quickly.
It sounds terrible at idle but is silent when underway.

I think the new V6 would be nice, quieter and v. powerful but no idea re economy unfortunately.

the zacster said:
No, my Beamer is manual. Your 270CDI's figures are good. In fact, they're so good relative to those reported by s999sws's 280 that I'm wondering whether I should opt for a 270!?! That said, I assume s999sws's 280 figure will improve as the engine beds in!?!
Bear in mind mine's a C Class, not an E, and I assume that the Merc's being spoken about here are all auto (mine is).
It's my car, opted out of a company car scheme, so, without being completely anal about it, I do try to get the best MPG, and least stress on brakes and tyres etc, as I can.
The idea is that the allowance and mileage payment pays for the car. Ridiculously, I don't actually calculate this - I guess I'm scared it might be costing too much!

The 5 cyl is a bit coarse, but it's a unique sound which I actually quite like. For me it was a step up from the C220CDi that I'd originally intended to buy.

Last edited:
New V6 CDI

I agree with Rory about the various engines, but do try the new V6.
A bunch of new E320 CDI's recently broke the world record for doing about 140mph for 100,000 miles (in about a month!) and then went on to drive across the States at an average of well over 50mpg! I have driven one briefly and the engine is as smooth and refined as you would expect. Maybe you have to run then in a long way before the mpg is good(!?) but a real step forward. We should expect reliability!

Mactech said:
IA bunch of new E320 CDI's recently broke the world record for doing about 140mph for 100,000 miles (in about a month!) and then went on to drive across the States at an average of well over 50mpg!

This sounds like a good "running in" plan.

MPG figures

None of these mpg figures is useful unless you tell us whether the car is EU3, 4 or 5 and whether you have an auto or manual

Has anyone direct experience of EU4 vs 5?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom