eureka moment!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
ive just had a brainwave! can any learned chaps tell me why instead of water in the radiator car manufacturers don't use a light machine oil, for cooling , the reason I ask is this the benefits I can see would be the water pump would prob never wear out as its bearings would be getting better lubrication then with water , and they use oil to cool transformers so why not car cooling system ?please explain the downside of doing this ?

Heat Transfer of Water is far superior.
The Pump would be bigger and cause more drag on the engine thus reducing Fuel consumption.
If the car had a smash there would be Oil all over the deck

That's 3 to be going on with!

thank you that has explained it to me , so just to clarify if I used very light machine oil would that still put a big drag on the pump and would the engine overheat ?

thank you , before I conclude this post is there anything else apart from water I can use that would act as a lubricant and be suitable ?

Some air cooled motorcycle engines use a supplementary oil cooler - using the engine oil rather han a separate system.

thank you , before I conclude this post is there anything else apart from water I can use that would act as a lubricant and be suitable ?

You could possibly mix in some water soluble oil as used for continuous cooling on milling machines and suchlike but if it were my car I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations. Who knows what effect oil may have on heater valves and other components.

thank you I wont experiment , and I will leave alone , by the way while im on here would anyone know what the plastic thing that looks like a fuel filter with a paper filter inside it that is located drivers side by the brake servo and has a small black plastic tube going into it but no tube coming out ? I cant take pictures unfortunately , but does what ive described ring any bells ? I had the same component on my c class ??

I've just had a few brainwaves too. I've just decided that I'm not going to:

- Fill my car's cooling system with oil
- Replace the oil in my car's engine with petrol
- Pee in the windscreen washer bottle
- Wax the paintwork with warm dog poo

I thought you meant coolant, not lubricant.

If you want to try alternative to water/antifreeze, how about a giant Peltier cooler...or liquid nitrogen?

- Fill my car's cooling system with oil
- Replace the oil in my car's engine with petrol
- Pee in the windscreen washer bottle
im just thinking outside the box trying to come up with sensible ideas ?

I thought you meant coolant, not lubricant.

If you want to try alternative to water/antifreeze, how about a giant Peltier cooler...or liquid nitrogen?
now theres a thought or I could weld lots of thin vanes all down the engine and replace the radiator altogether and mount the fan backwards so it blows air over them , and turn it into an aircooled engine ? I guess those engineers at Mercedes never thought of that modification ..

Sensible ideas to do what?
its often a thin line between genius and insanity ? by the way im not hearing to well at the mo I was painting an oil painting earlier whist drinking absinthe and in a moment of inspiration decided to cut my ear off !!

You'd need a whole new 'Coolant' Pump if you were using Oil, the standard Water pump would not cope.

All the 'Coolant' pathways would need redesigning inside the engine also.

Tiz a non starter mate, Full Stop! :rolleyes:

The line is not that thin....and i think you have been slugging the thinners instead of the absinthe!:thumb:

Tony.

Stick to watercolours they are safer, I can't recall any watercolour artist that had an accident with his ear :D

Easy tiger - you'll turn in to a detailer* with that concept

You may jest, but it's actually a secret ingredient of SwissVax is dog poo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom