EuroCarParts Forum Discount. How does that work, then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently used the ECP 31% discount code and bought Pagid front discs, new pads & brake sensor for the grand total of £78.91, I certainly don't feel ripped off in any way! :thumb:

Russ

So not quite the generous forum members only discounts that we thought then.

It's simply a marketing exercise and has worked very well for them indeed. Well done ECP.

Aren't all such discounts part of a marketing campaign - ie: aimed at increasing sales? That's what businesses do! In fact, it's what they need to do in order to survive. Likewise, when a company has a sale, it's not doing it out of some altruistic endeavour to be kind to its customers - it's looking for increased short-term turnover, or is perhaps just trying to clear stock.

As for forum-only discounts, ask yourself what possible financial justification there could be for offering such a discount to all and sundry? It can only be aimed at increasing sales. It's not as though the "members" (no subscriptions, remember) have negoitiated some kind of bulk purchase based on an agreed number of sales, as car clubs often do. In pubicising the discount codes, ECP have no idea what the take-up will be, so they're not going to be selling stuff at below cost price, are they?

As the ECP forum member has said, for anyone that was going to use the ECP website anyway, entering the MBCLUB30 code where available will give you a genuine 30% discount on the price you would have paid. As an offer, that seems very straightforward to me. They can't possibly be expected to guarantee that the goods cannot be bought more cheaply elsewhere - that's for the buyer to work out.

2q0vhpc.jpg

As the ECP forum member has said, for anyone that was going to use the ECP website anyway, entering the MBCLUB30 code where available will give you a genuine 30% discount on the price you would have paid. As an offer, that seems very straightforward to me. They can't possibly be expected to guarantee that the goods cannot be bought more cheaply elsewhere - that's for the buyer to work out.

The genuine gripe is that the same parts can be brought from the same company for less just by using their sister website.

The genuine gripe is that the same parts can be brought from the same company for less just by using their sister website.

Wasn't it explained some time ago that (despite sharing some directors), carpartsforless is actually a separate entity to whom ECP have franchised their online sales system?

Again, people can choose to order from either company, but if they would rather order from ECP for the ehanced customer experience (as referred to by markjay previously), then the 30% discount will no doubt be appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't whinged about ECP before. :confused:

If you are championing the cause of ECP, perhaps you can offer a better explanation than Pat as to why my bulbs are listed on the website at £17.99 with free delivery, but cost £21.32 when I collect them?

Perhaps I'm missing something..

I'm really sorry Ringway but I missed the main question (that's what happens when a thread goes off track)

All of the webprices are the same instore, however it looks like that particular store has increased the counter price - can you PM me your order number + which branch so I can check and correct - this is something we thought we had stamped out.

Regarding the code, you have MBCLUB25 with offers 25% off a huge range of parts, however you also have MBCLUB30 which offers 30% off a slightly smaller range (for this we have removed items such as batteries, turbos, injectors - many items which would result in selling items at a loss if we gave 30% discount)

Brakes, suspension, steering, lubricants and many others are covered by the 30%

As for the forums - yes it helps to support sales, however we have stopped at 50 forums, this is because we always said, sales was our number 3 reason for joining them - customer service (giving forums a direct contact in case of a problem with their order) and technical support (answering questions in case members are having trouble finding parts - were our number 1 and 2 reasons. I think the amount of members that we have heled far exceeds the sales.
Forums only give us 0.d order per day - across 50 forums is only 25 per day - less than 1% of our daily orders come from forums, and 50% of thouse would probably buy from us anyways.

So end result - Ringway has highlighted a good point, I've explained its not normal and will investage it to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Ps. Remember the MBCLUB are the only forum to have a permanant 30% code ;)

Quick question, you sell parts under the brand name "EIS Germany", can you confirm that EIS is indeed a genuine German company with factories in Germany and that anyone buying EIS parts would be quite correct in assuming that they are buying German made parts (as the name clearly implies)?

Hi Nick - if you drop an email to [email protected] then can answer this for you :)

I don't think that is the gripe - I have already explained that you will find that circa 90% of our parts with forum discount are cheaper than them or any other site.

You have managed to post 2 of our 115,000 inventory - only another 11,498 till you prove me wrong.....

Even then, we are still not forcing anybody to use us, we are here, we offer prices the customer can continue to shop around, job done.....

Wasn't it explained some time ago that (despite sharing some directors), carpartsforless is actually a separate entity to whom ECP have franchised their online sales system?

All of the directors of carpartsforless are directors of eurocarparts so even though it is a separate entity it is clearly a part of the ECP group.

Me, couldn't care less about how companies run themselves commercially and marketing wise, I shop around at get the best part based on price and quality. I do walk out of places with long queues quite often..

In my (simplified) world, every business is out to get your cash (they would not exist otherwise) and they can do it several ways: a good product, a good price, good customer service, slick processes etc.

Discounts, sales, promo's, competitions, BOGOF, 3for 2 etc - do some people not understand how it all works?? :crazy:

I have used ecp 3 times in the past 3 weeks - using the forum discount codes or the bigdeal31 code depending on what i bought.. each time the order has been correct, the delivery prompt and the items exactly as described - or I collected items from the branch within the hour

When other suppliers can match this service like for like I will use them.

Again, people can choose to order from either company, but if they would rather order from ECP for the ehanced customer experience (as referred to by markjay previously), then the 30% discount will no doubt be appreciated.

Both websites have the same live help button, there really does not seem to be any difference between the 2 other than price.

CP4L have a discount code at the moment, 5% off, which is a realistic discount, given most companies work on a 10% margin.

Discounts, sales, promo's, competitions, BOGOF, 3for 2 etc - do some people not understand how it all works?? :crazy:

The lines have become blurred on this forum with the introduction of EuroCraParts, the other offers by forum supporters are genuine discounts. Which is in the spirit of a forum, no?

Eg PCS give you 10% off the price of a service; thatis a tangible discount.

What would be said if Ollie had a different company charging 10% less than he does at PCS? Thus making his original 10% spurious.

ECP are betting on people being too lazy to check 'competitors' prices, because they will automatically think that they're getting a good deal. Is this topic not worthy of discussion on the forum? Would we not be discussing this if it was happening elsewhere?

I also find the suggestion that profit is not EuroCraParts number one aim for their involvement in 50(!) forums quite hilarious. I have my own business and I can categorically say that first and foremost, I'm doing it to make a healthy profit...

The lines have become blurred on this forum with the introduction of EuroCraParts, the other offers by forum supporters are genuine discounts. Which is in the spirit of a forum, no?

Doesn't always work that way, unfortunately. I mentioned the MBClub discount at a company (not PCS or ECP) earlier this year, and was told that it wasn't available yet as they were still trying to set it up. This some three years after it was posted in the offers section.

I won't mention the company, as I was happy with the service they provided and the price I paid (I wouldn't normally request a discount anyway, and only did so on this occasion as it had been openly advertised). The moral is: if the discount is a deal maker for you, make sure it applies before you commission the work.

Regarding the code, you have MBCLUB25 with offers 25% off a huge range of parts, however you also have MBCLUB30 which offers 30% off a slightly smaller range (for this we have removed items such as batteries, turbos, injectors - many items which would result in selling items at a loss if we gave 30% discount)

Brakes, suspension, steering, lubricants and many others are covered by the 30%

Ps. Remember the MBCLUB are the only forum to have a permanant 30% code ;)

Many thanks for clarifying the discounts.
Would you also be so kind as to advise the minimum qualifying order value for both of these. As I previously said, I've tried to find the relevant info without success, and it is a little confusing when at the checkout why discount codes are not accepted. i.e. No way of knowing if it's because the items don't qualify for discount or if the order value doesn't meet the minimum amount.
Would I be right in assuming that neither discount is applicable against promotional items.
Obviously some of the time served members here know the answers from past experience, but from a newbies point of view it's impossible to know if any information given on the forums is actual fact or just a guess on their behalf. (No criticism intended or implied. I do appreciate everyone's help here).

Thanks.

Many thanks for clarifying the discounts.
Would you also be so kind as to advise the minimum qualifying order value for both of these. As I previously said, I've tried to find the relevant info without success, and it is a little confusing when at the checkout why discount codes are not accepted. i.e. No way of knowing if it's because the items don't qualify for discount or if the order value doesn't meet the minimum amount.
Would I be right in assuming that neither discount is applicable against promotional items.
Obviously some of the time served members here know the answers from past experience, but from a newbies point of view it's impossible to know if any information given on the forums is actual fact or just a guess on their behalf. (No criticism intended or implied. I do appreciate everyone's help here).

Thanks.

Hi!

Both discounts have a minimum spend of £20

The full list of excluded items can be found by simply entering the code in the basket with a product in it - a red message will appear with a link 'click here for a full list of excluded products'

Both codes work on all 'promotional' items the only things excluded are items such as Turbos, Injectors and Clutches (items where 30% discount would reduce below cost)

Every other forum has a post explaining this, however I have noticed that the MBCLUB 'welcome' message was not written by us, and the one we wrote has gone to page 25 in the forum. - I will do another and ask for it to be stickied in our section below :)

Pat

Would you also be so kind as to advise the minimum qualifying order value for both of these. As I previously said, I've tried to find the relevant info

The ECP website tells you the minimum order value if your order does not meet it. It's £20 for MBCLUB25 and £25 for MBCLUB30.

Let's see what ECP stand accused of here....

That they artificially bumped-up their prices in order to provide fake discounts to forum members?

Not quite, because their web prices are indeed the prices at which they sell to the general public under their EPC brand, and I would image that many customers indeed place orders at the advertised EPC web price.

That they clearly make a huge profit - as they can provide forum members a 25% or 30% discount off the prices they sell to the public and still turn a (small) profit?

I personally don't think that the prices at which retailers buy their good is any of my business - if it's not a regulated industry and I am not a captive audience then I have the choice to simply buy wherever it suits me, regardless of what profit the seller's make.

That they sell elsewhere under different brand cheaper than what it works-out after forum discount form EPC?

That's fine... let's all buy from the 'different brand' then. Nothing stopping us from doing so.

That they played a 'marketing trick' on us?

Possibly - them, and almost any other commercial organisation in the UK...

The man says he'll give us 25%-30% off the price at which EPC advertised their products. And he did. Still not a good-enough deal? Fine. Don't buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom