Eurocharged S600 bi-turbo remap - chuffed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drabux

Hello All,

I've spent years with Saabs but have recently acquired a '04 S600 for an extremely reasonable price. These cars are now amazingly good value and, although not cheap to run, give decent fuel consumption. I've been getting 27mpg imp. on the motorway and 21mpg A/B road driving. My car has done lots and lots of motorway miles (140k), one previous owner and has Merc FSH and cost me £7500.

They are conservatively rated at 493bhp but a number of dyno runs conducted in the US suggest they put out closer to 530-540bhp. Being turboed, they respond well to a remap. The best in terms of BHP gains, popularity and quality seemed to be Kleeman and Renntech, but I found the prices off-putting. There are lots of other companies that offer remaps but the claimed bhp gains were either unverified or much smaller than that obtained by the market leaders.

Cutting through all the remapping claims, I managed to find Eurocharged. They recently tuned an otherwise stock S600 that has managed a 12.1 sec 121mph quarter mile and have dynos to prove a 60rwhp gain. That is at least as good as Kleeman/Renntech manage. The remap was also MUCH cheaper. The only problem is that Eurocharged is based in Texas and I didn't trust customs/postal services with my ECU.

I contacted Jerry at Eurocharged and within two days had his loaner OBD ECU flasher in my hands which he had posted to me. Yesterday evening he logged into my computer from Texas, downloaded various files, moved the mouse about quite a lot and finally flashed a new file to the ECU. It was a surreal experience watching all of this going on, sitting on the roadside in Bath while the car was remapped from Texas. The whole process took about 40 minutes.

The car, of course, has gone from very fast to blisteringly fast. It also drives just like stock in normal driving.

Over all, really happy with both the service I got and the tune.

Not sure how many other bi-turbo owners there are here but since I am a bit of a car nut and DIY tuning freak, expect to hear more from me in the future.

Cheers,

Alanb

So...what were the stop watch figures before and after the remap?

I wonder how many hackers peeped in during the 40 minutes to check what was going on :D Even if technically a tune for a distance is possible, nothing like a real life "hands on" situation to make it happen. Guess I like to see things in order to believe :)

Engine remapping via Citrix! I like it.

Absolutely right. A live RR mapping session is best but not always realistic given budget and paucity of good tuners for MBs in the UK.

I have no stop watch figures but seat of the pants = significantly faster. Before and after dynos done by others support the substantial gains.

Cheers,

Alanb

Jerry @ EUROCHARGED is infamos on the US forums, have heard lots of good things about his tunes.

hey

Jerrys stuff is good i got my 180 mm pulley and heat exchanger from them, im trying to Become a UK supplier for them......

acid

Don't think the stop watches matter much on tuning turbocharged cars. When I tuned my Renault 5 turbo years ago including a bypass valve, the measure was it used to wheelspin in 3rd more than it used in 2nd before.

The gains on turbo are really substantial.

A bit soupy then?

I don't agree and feel it's something propagated by the Top Gear lap test of a SL600. I'm happy to agree that the sheer width of the thing can make driving a challenge but not the bulk. The weight just disappears. Something partly due to the suspension system and partly the staggering brakes. Perhaps not the benchmark in handling but much better than any car I've owned in the past in *real world* driving conditions. It's no track car (I'm a regular at Castle Combe in other cars) but works beautifully in fast A-road driving.

With these selling for around £10k now, this car, in my opinion, is a fabulous buy.

Alanb

Okay. The Top Gear test was on the Cl65 AMG. Quite negative review over all but, in today's market, a mapped S600 that's about as fast for less than £10k all in, is probably the single strongest advert for capitalism.

Alanb

Don't think the stop watches matter much on tuning turbocharged cars. When I tuned my Renault 5 turbo years ago including a bypass valve, the measure was it used to wheelspin in 3rd more than it used in 2nd before.

The gains on turbo are really substantial.

I agree, my Lancer Turbo would wheel spin all day long in the wet, unfortunately, that meant far less powerful cars were impossible to pass as when the turbo kicked in you lost all traction and had to short shift to a higher gear at lowish revs. In the dry, a different story, sometimes tuning turbo cars is not all it seems. ;)

Russ

Another thumbs up from me regarding Jerry and Clint, he tuned my car Thursday evening the same way using my laptop whilst I sat in the car. Very strange watching him control my laptop whilst making my fan run full blast!!

Very pleased with the results :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I'm trying to find the correct person to contact to become a sponsor here. Anyone know?

I can't post otherwise!!

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I'm trying to find the correct person to contact to become a sponsor here. Anyone know?

I can't post otherwise!!

Thanks!

hi start a thread in the feed back and testing section at the bottom of the home page , a moderator should be able to help you .
welcome to the fourm:thumb:

I got a biturbo S600, have been looking at a remap for sometime now.
How much is it and if you dont mind. You can PM me,
Ive seen DMS quoting 1.2k for 80 BHP gains and they come out to you to install and rollin road test before after, apparently have done loads of SL600, CL 600 and S600.

Kleemans is 2k and then there are loads of places doing it from 300 notes to 500 but to be honest anything not done right on s600 will just cause £££££ of problems, as i have found out. £10-15k to buy but 100k car to maintain.

Hi Biturbo,

I don't know about DMS. They sound good (but more expensive than Eurocharged:)). Mapping it on the rollers is probably the best way to go but a well mapped 'generic' tune probably won't be much different.

The proof of the pudding etc. So,take a look here: Fast Mercedes-Benz S600s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com The S600 with the highest trap speed (apart from the nitrous s600) is none other than a Eurocharged S600. With a better start, he would have been below 12 secs. In other words, it's at least as good as the Kleeman/Renntech tunes.

I've now clocked up 500+ miles on the new map and the car is over the top fast. It's just a joke when you put your foot down at 90 mph :D. I'd suggest it'd match most big motor bikes from that speed.

Alanb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom