Europe Breakdown cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Any recommendations for full 'get you and the car home' insurance please.

Not the roadside assist covered by my standard insurance but the full works 'no strings attached' affair.

Doing a search reveals all sorts costing from £50 to over £200.

But which one is really worth having?

Ta.

ps Should have added...we're in the RAC but their Euro cover requires full stamped up Merc service history. Not got that thankfully.

Last edited:
Worth a go - i did this on my motorbike insurance when i went to Le Mans for the Moto GP, but as always, it will differ between insurance companies.

I bought an RAC package two years ago, but I never used it, so cannot comment on its effectiveness, it was £70 then.

Also check your bank?

We have Travel insurance and breakdown with them amongst other things, its not 'free' as such we pay a monthly fee but I know from my dads experience anyway the medical insurance is VERY good.

Make sure you have replacement car cover and tow home. Many years ago my brand new Passat was in a garage in France for 9 days while they waited on a part to arrive from the UK. You will be surprised at the supply chain issues with RHD parts on the continent. If I hadn't go the full policy I would have been in serious trouble.

try moneysupermarket.com I think it's Mondial Assist which is the biggest recovery firm in Europe (makes the AA look like minnows).

How much use is Mobilo for this type of thing? Haven't quite got my head round whether it replaces other roadside assistance or is only any good in specific situations

It sort of replaces European Cover. I say sort of, because they insist on taking anything broken to a Mercedes Dealer... who will charge Mercedes proces for fixing.

My father had major issues with Mobilo life a few years ago when his car was caught in a large storm in Spain. The car wouldn't start and it got carted off to a dealer who said it would cost £2K to fix as the footwell mounted modules had been burnt due to being in a flood. It hadn't, which was confirmed by Mercedes UK. Took a good year to get his money back.

In short, you're at the mercy of Merc dealerships who have differing standards and honesty around the globe.

We usually get the RAC package, again never had to use it so far.

+1 for the RAC. Very helpful when our son had problems both in Italy and Spain with a previous 300e-24. Also if you are a member of the official MB club there is no supplement for older vehicles. Lots of the others won't cover anything over 10 years old.
MB prices on the continent can come as a pleasant surprise after the UK. Our local agent in Italy charges €60 per hour.

if you are still using the dealer network then Mobilio will cover you, theres different cover dependent on when the car was registered so worth reading up first.

otherwise as above

Thanks all. I'm am an RAC member, but as I said earlier their small print excludes me cos I dont have service history. When I enquired they wanted £200 :eek:. I've asked my insurers (L&V) and they've come up with £51 as a pro-rata for a years breakdown but they farm it out to Brittannia Rescue and I'm still wading through their small print.

You'll agree that 'small print' is everything.

Vis...."Oh! you never told us your car was blue, sir" :D

Thanks all. I'm am an RAC member, but as I said earlier their small print excludes me cos I dont have service history. When I enquired they wanted £200 :eek:. I've asked my insurers (L&V) and they've come up with £51 as a pro-rata for a years breakdown but they farm it out to Brittannia Rescue and I'm still wading through their small print.

Try Greenflag £90ish for 12mths

Col

Surely I have seen numerous articles in Merc club mag over the years; about your touring exploits in your 107.

I was even going to ask you, as the expert, about this same question for my 17 years old 124 coupe.

You need to consider Breakdown and Accident as separate issues.

You can add accident cover or will even find it included as standard by some companies, eg Zurich. I added the full Euro get you home cover to my Zurich policy for each of the last three years. Part F European Breakdown and Accident cover states that If car cannot be repaired they will pay cost of return of car and passengers travel to UK home address. Think it was about £65 pa which seems reasonable to me. I suppose you would just have to pile on car hire and accommodation costs on a credit card and the claim when back in the UK.

I now have Mobilo as part of the 12m used Mercedes warranty, so breakdown costs are fully covered, incl UK repatriation, not sure of cover with Mobilo alone. The Zurich standard policy covers mainland Europe, so no need for the xtra cost of Part F for this year.

Think I have all Accident/Breakdown eventualities are covered.

Personally I could not cross the channel without good cover, with a breakdown or accident even 1 mile into mainland Europe you will need a UK based English speaking service to assist. Make it 2000 miles away and it would be a big problem without adequate insurance.

As the old advert used to say -' get the strength of the insurance company around you'

Surely I have seen numerous articles in Merc club mag over the years; about your touring exploits in your 107.

I was even going to ask you, as the expert, about this same question for my 17 years old 124 coupe.

Fame at last. :bannana:;). But that was with the 107, which at the moment is slightly incapacitated. The Mercedes-Benz Club

With the classic car policy foreign cover is full and included. This time we're taking the S211. Trouble with CC policies is the limited mileage. Two years ago on the way home from the Spanish trip I realised I had only taken out a 3000ml policy. Phoned Carole Nash from a lay-bye somewhere in France and topped it up to 5000mls. An extra £13.00 for the mileage and £50 admin fee. :mad:
Bye-bye Carole Nash.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom