European Breakdown Cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Can someone share their experiences with european breakdown cover providers?

I'm consdering AA, RAC, GreenFlag and EuropAssist... Never needed it... but the car I'm going in is the ford, and I'm not 100% sure about it :p

Any ideas?
M.

Hi, Perhaps things have changed. I lived in Germany for a good few years and was a member of ADAC, (German AA/RAC) on a trip home (England) I broke down on a the M6, on using the roadside phone I was told that the major motoring clubs in the UK had a reciprocal agreement that basic recovery would be afforded to its members. Costs of any spares to be paid for. I presume you are a member of the AA/RAC.....? Give them a ring,nothing to loose.John

My family's experience of AA service in europe - dreadful. Their local agent damaged the car. AA refused to accept liabilty until threatened with court. They then paid up.
RAC very good. I think it all depends on who their local partner is.

I added on the european cover on my AA membership when I drove to stuttgart in my 124, just to be on the safe side! I didnt use it in the end as the car just performed effortlessly.

However, it doesnt matter what car you have, in my opinion its always better to have it just incase when luck isnt on your side. Better to be safe than sorry you know?

We once towed a caravan to spain with a rover stirling 2.8 (elec rear seats) anyway, broke down on way home-without the caravan-We were covered with green flag, the Spanish agent picked us up ,took us to a 4 star hotel in Teruel Stayed there for 2 nights whilst expansion tank was replaced with one delivered from Madrid, Full board including the finest rioja wine lovely room, when car was ready agent picked us up took us to the garage to pick up the car, and off we went on our way back to britain,NEVER heard a thing from Green flag, So certainly no complaints from us, but this was 10 years ago. However now we are covered with "QUOTELINE DIRECT" Well worth a look for £59.00 a year.:thumb:

Britannia Rescue. We have discounted cover through my wife's CSMA membership and recommended them to a friend whose wife also qualified for the CSMA. A few months later (last October) he followed his satnav up a goat track in the Spanish hills near Lleida and did damage to his SAAB dumping four people on a remote mountain with a weak mobile signal and only the GPS position to give Britannia's European control room who called out the Guardia to find them the following morning. Britannia then found someone to move the car from the track to a SAAB dealer, arranged the repairs, a night's hotel, a hire car and eventually home return flights at the end of their holiday; all paid for apart from the repair cost. We volunteered to go fetch the repaired car back a couple of weeks later and Britannia covered the flight, 3 nights hotel and some fuel when it became clear it would work out cheaper than trailering the car back to the UK. Unfortunately, he has just come back from Italy with no problems and no cheap break for us this time!

Thanks - I was planning to go with ADAC last night (the german one... 30-something euro's for under 27's which seemed like an amazing deal)...

Will check the other 2 later, thanks
M.

If you breakdown on autoroute in France your breakdown company can't assist until you are off it. Autoroutes have Govt agreements with breakdown partners and only they are allowed to assist / tow you off.

Just a general warning to all.

€99 min tow charge. Mobilio told me this so I drove to next exit and called back. Then a first class service.

If you breakdown on autoroute in France your breakdown company can't assist until you are off it. Autoroutes have Govt agreements with breakdown partners and only they are allowed to assist / tow you off.

Just a general warning to all.

€99 min tow charge. Mobilio told me this so I drove to next exit and called back. Then a first class service.
Your breakdown company should reimburse you for this. The RAC do. Its in the paperwork. RAC are also one of the few that will cover older vehicles. No extra charge if you are a memeber of an owners club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom