European breakdown insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiveleyegit

Car
W220 320 CDI
Hi all, just mulling over what to do about some Eurocover this year. I used to have this as an add on with my annual insurance (Provident) but now I'm over 70 they aren't interested in my business any more, so now I have a policy with a provider that doesn't do European breakdown cover for vehicles over 15 years old, not much help for my 2005 S class.
So, is there anyone out there who will cater for older vehicles? I used to have annual cover, which I would prefer as I go abroad 4 or 5 times a year, I know there's the option of single trip insurance, but that would be a pain if I had to resort to that every time.
Cheers
Bob

Hi all, just mulling over what to do about some Eurocover this year. I used to have this as an add on with my annual insurance (Provident) but now I'm over 70 they aren't interested in my business any more, so now I have a policy with a provider that doesn't do European breakdown cover for vehicles over 15 years old, not much help for my 2005 S class.
So, is there anyone out there who will cater for older vehicles? I used to have annual cover, which I would prefer as I go abroad 4 or 5 times a year, I know there's the option of single trip insurance, but that would be a pain if I had to resort to that every time.
Cheers
Bob
I’ve got a nationwide joint account that covers for EU breakdown with no car age limit . I have never used it in anger though .

Cheers
Bob
If you service your car at a Mercedes main dealer then it will come with 12 months European breakdown cover 👍🏻

Check out Howdens. My 1994 Mustang is insured with them and I get European breakdown as an option on that policy.

TMW

Aviva might be worth a look. I've found their multi-vehicle cover competitive (and easy to administer) and their European cover including breakdown and recovery is barely noticeable as an additional cost.

Barclays Travel Pack.... includes travel ins & breakdown in europe. Minimum term 6 months..... cancel after that and do again when you need it.

You need a Barclays acct though

Trouble is the op would have to pay catch up on all servicing items not done since its last MB service . Might cost a fortune ?
On a 2005 S class ? I decided to let someone else work that out.

And there's two elements to this, realistically. Breakdown cover and potentially recovery. There's nothing like the risk of needing to recover a vehicle 500 or a thousand miles, cross border, to focus the insurer on getting the wretched thing working, kind of, again.

So although the request was for Euro insurance, a policy that gives breakdown and recovery is ... worth inspection.

Ps 2005 S class: was there ever a more elegant motor ?

Trouble is the op would have to pay catch up on all servicing items not done since its last MB service . Might cost a fortune ?
No, just what’s due at that time 👍🏻

No, just what’s due at that time 👍🏻
But won’t the MB computer show all things due that have not been completed on their system and done by them ?
Like gearbox service say 4 years ago , fuel filter 2 years ago , coolant at 15 years etc ?
It can’t be the case the car is due an A service after 10 years of not having an MB service and you are back on Mobilio .

But won’t the MB computer show all things due that have not been completed on their system and done by them ?
Like gearbox service say 4 years ago , fuel filter 2 years ago , coolant at 15 years etc ?
It can’t be the case the car is due an A service after 10 years of not having an MB service and you are back on Mobilio .
It will just say what is due at that point in time.

It will just say what is due at that point in time.
I hear what you are saying but it can’t be the case that you get back on Mobilio with an A service, skip the B service the next year and then rejoin with an A service ?
I know you are much more cleverer than me but this seems like a loophole they wouldn’t have left open ?

I hear what you are saying but it can’t be the case that you get back on Mobilio with an A service, skip the B service the next year and then rejoin with an A service ?
I know you are much more cleverer than me but this seems like a loophole they wouldn’t have left open ?
Breakdown insurance will be reactivated if the car is serviced by a Mercedes main dealer, even if services have been missed. From the Mercedes breakdown assistance pages on their website:

Cover is also available for customers with cars registered from 24 October 1998* and is automatically activated/renewed on completion of a service by a Mercedes-Benz Authorised Repairer.

Source:

Breakdown insurance will be reactivated if the car is serviced by a Mercedes main dealer, even if services have been missed. From the Mercedes breakdown assistance pages on their website:

Source:
Wow ! I stand corrected , time to book an A service ;)

I second the AA - I was searching for the same cover for our road trip ( Got in just before Brexit ) to drive from my home to Transylvania .... The AA was the best cover for the trip and did cover the Non EU aspect as well for a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom