European Grand Tour ideas for 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I usually start planning our annual grand tour in January/February but I'm starting early this year.

I had been hatching a plan which would take the ferry to Santander, then spending a few nights in each of Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, and Sant Feliu de Guixols, before heading home through France, maybe taking in the Milau Viaduct on the way back.

However the family say that Spain doesn't do it for them and are suggesting that we go to Italy. We've fancied the Amalfi coast for some time, and having had to change our honeymoon plans from Capri to Isle of Wight (!!) 12 years ago, it might be nice to get across to Capri whilst we're down there.

We really enjoy the drive and like to take go in our own car, but given the distance is so great I'm thinking that flying from Birmingham (preferred) to Naples and getting a hire car there might be a more sensible choice, as we'll look do the trip over just 10 days or so, during Easter 2015.

We like modern boutique style hotels with parking, ideally with a suite that can accommodate the children; if not then a generous family room, and interconnected rooms least preferred. Sea/lake views preferred, but facilities like pool/gym/sauna not really important - that said a vanishing pool would be nice!

We like to stay in 2-4 different places spending a few days in each, plus any stopovers which may be required to get there and back and which must be clean and allow us to sleep together - well located Ibis/Travelodge style hotels are preferred as we tend to be there for say 6 hours, so we can carry on driving.

So I Would welcome thoughts on the whole shebang:

• Spain or Italy?
  • Drive or Fly?
  • How best to get across to Capri?
  • Which towns are best to stay in on Amalfi coast?
  • Which other places should we stay, Rome, Naples, somewhere else?
  • Fly to Naples or somewhere else, and which is best value?
  • Recommended hotels and restaurants?
  • Recommended car hire?

All thoughts, ideas and suggestion are welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom