European tour 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

Back in 2011 the wife and I took a bit of a tour around Europe in the little Fiat Barchetta we had at the time. True, I had the SLK too but being of the opinion that I love a challenge, I chose a 17 year old Fiat over a 5 year old Mercedes.

Anyway, we had a lovely holiday, the Barchetta ran like a charm and after 12 days and 2800 miles it delivered us back safely. It's now gone to pastures new, but the SLK is still here and it's time for it to step up to the plate.

I've no doubt it will perform superbly (much as I loved the Barchetta, I did have to carry tools in the car, just in case). I don't feel the need to do that this time, however the new trip pans out at c.2300 miles, which realistically means I'm going to get through 100 gallons of fuel
eek.gif

The plan this time is to head east (the previous trip was south, to Italy). I've been cooking up a route today which sees us going through Germany to Austria and Czech Republic before heading home. The route is pictured below, although it appears Google Maps limit the number of stops you can put in nowadays. The start and stop point is Bitburg in Germany, a place I know well from work. It's reachable in a day from home, although I'll probably break the journey on the way out - Bruges is a favourite city of ours, and a nice place to stop.

Possible%20route%202015_zpsieucyl24.png

So the route is as follows -

Home - Bruges
Bruges - Bitburg
Bitburg - Affalterbach (AMG tour!) then onto Bregenz on Lake Constance.
Bregenz - Vaduz (we missed Lichtenstein last time round, determined to cross it off the list of countries visited this time) then on to Salzburg.
Salzburg - Vienna. Stay for 2 days/3 nights.
Vienna - Prague. Stay for 2 days/3 nights.
Prague - Bayreuth via Karlovy Vary
Bayreth - Bitburg
Then home, either via Bruges or nail it and do it in one.

I know there's people on here who travel far and wide, any comments or things to look out for? I've driven everywhere except the CR before now, so fairly au fait with driving on the continent..

Cheers,

Gaz

Bayreuth is the holy grail if you are a Wagner lover (or rather too fond of black or brown uniforms) but not the most exciting of places otherwise. Bamberg is a gorgeous city to visit, a gem with excellent beer too.

If you are after a peaceful hotel in stunning scenery in the Alps just off your route into Austria (the German side of the mountains to Salzburg), there is an Intercontinental spa hotel in Berchtesgaden allegedly built on the site of a villa of someone fond of Wagner/black and brown uniforms (how I know this is not a question for here) and the rooms are all glass sided with fabulous alpine views.

The autobahn you are looking to take in southern Germany over to Austria is very busy with trucks and decidedly low grade - your going will be slow.

Last edited:
Also if in Berchtesgaden take a trip on the Konigsee, they use battery powered pleasure cruisers to keep the water beautiful and clean. Certainly a trip down the Salt Mines is worth the time as well.

Bayreuth is the holy grail if you are a Wagner lover (or rather too fond of black or brown uniforms) but not the most exciting of places otherwise. Bamberg is a gorgeous city to visit, a gem with excellent beer too.

If you are after a peaceful hotel in stunning scenery in the Alps just off your route into Austria (the German side of the mountains to Salzburg), there is an Intercontinental spa hotel in Berchtesgaden allegedly built on the site of a villa of someone fond of Wagner/black and brown uniforms (how I know this is not a question for here) and the rooms are all glass sided with fabulous alpine views.

The autobahn you are looking to take in southern Germany over to Austria is very busy with trucks and decidedly low grade - your going will be slow.

Thanks Charles, I don't know that part of Germany. I've heard of Bayreuth, but Wagner and uniforms aren't my cup of tea. I'll look at Bamberg.. good beer is definitely relevant to my interests!

Cheers,

Gaz

Also if in Berchtesgaden take a trip on the Konigsee, they use battery powered pleasure cruisers to keep the water beautiful and clean. Certainly a trip down the Salt Mines is worth the time as well.

Thanks for the pointer John. We may change the itinerary to have 2 days in Salzsburg and chop 1 off Vienna, so will bear that in mind. Personal recommendations welcome!

Cheers,

Gaz

I think they might be these Mercedes - Roadsterbag Convertible Cases. I asked the same question a while back and the overwhelming reply was that they are a quality bit of kit, especially for the money. The only reason I haven't bought ours yet is the house is in total upheaval due to over-running building work and have nowhere to store them!

Edit: as for your route, I don't know if you have been to Austria before but the woman at the petrol station in Austria said she had called the police on us! We intended grabbing something to eat so pulled the car twenty yards directly forward to park after fuelling and when we got inside, she went apoplectic. We hung around for ages, waiting for the police until a friendly local gave her a talking to and sorted it out for us..something to do with drive outs so near the border, apparently. Bitch said it was illegal to move the car until fuel was paid for. Just a warning…ze haft nein zense oft humour, ya?

Last edited:
We drove the Alpenstrasse from Lindau to Berchtesgaden on the AMG Trip last summer, and unless you particularly want to travel on Austrian motorways, I'd suggest that it's a much more pleasant route. While you may not have any interest in black and brown uniforms, a visit to the Eagle's Nest if you're around Berchtesgaden is worth it for the views.

While in Vienna, the Schnitzels at Figlmüller are pretty special, and a ride in the Wiener Riesenrad (Ferris Wheel) gives some great views of the city.

Driving in the Czech Republic is pretty good, but some roads in the boonies can be a bit dilapidated.

Just to add, while in the Czech Republic, as you head towards Prague make a detour towards Kutna Hora and visit Sedlec Ossuary (the Bone Church) which sounds somewhat macabre, but is actually quite astonishing.

The only bit of that I know - keep going to Colmar (because it's gorgeous), then Mulhouse (Bugatti museum) via the mountains - then across to Liechtenstein?

Stuttgart area - your route takes you through Stuttgart. Unless you want to visit MB World or the Porsche museum, I would avoid it, the run through the city is slow and congested (it took me over an hour when visiting Esslingen two weeks ago). If you go South on the A81 the autobahn is unrestricted, lovely scenery, flowing road and curves with little traffic, then along Lake Constanz on the northern side.

Ulm has a giant church but it must be said, not a lot else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom