Europlug sockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if it is permissible under IEE regs to fit Europlug (Continental plug) sockets to a house in UK instead of standard 3 pin outlets?

I don't know the answer to your question, but why would you want to? When selling the house, with the new HIP packs when selling, a house with EU electrics would be at a disadvantage, I would buy a good supply of converters.

I don't want to fit them.....I am a surveyor and am looking at a house in UK that has them fitted....I am pretty sure that such sockets are not permitted by the IEE but cannot find any specific reference to this...I was hoping that someone on this site would be able to point me in the right direction...

Interesting thread... had a similar debate in Italy, where I wanted both Italian/Europlug sockets fitted as well as some UK/3-pin sockets fitted as I wanted to be able to travel "home" without having to use adapters.

I had bought some sockets from screwfix and brought them down, then presented them to our electrician. He was baffled, and went off to the architect (who has to approve pretty much anything in an Italian house). She in turn went to dig up the regulations, and it turns out that as long as the sockets had the appropriate EU "E" marking, they would be fine.

Sadly, the sockets I had has teh BSI kitemark, and not the EU marking, so they got rejected. On the bright side, the electrician did find some nifty sockets with both the 2-pin Italian and the 3-pin UK socket holes with the right e-markings... and fitted them...

I have the IEEE bricks at home, I can have a look when I get home tonight... but as long as the sockets have the relevant certification/approval; I don't see why not...

M.

Can anyone tell me if it is permissible under IEE regs to fit Europlug (Continental plug) sockets to a house in UK instead of standard 3 pin outlets?

Not as far i as know. Wiring Regs 18th edition is very clear in regards with these "euro" specs within UK . You should get a written permission letter from your local council . If you`re doing that outside the regs, that sparky is just another cowboy builder.

On top of that , it will void your House Insurance. Think twice before you do this !

Not as far i as know. Wiring Regs 18th edition is very clear in regards with these "euro" specs within UK . You should get a written permission letter from your local council . If you`re doing that outside the regs, that sparky is just another cowboy builder.

On top of that , it will void your House Insurance. Think twice before you do this !

Thanks...wish to stress that I am not installing them....I just want to find out whether installation of Euro type sockets permissible under IEE for my own education.

Welcome :)

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that the IEE reg's would specify that different fusing arrangements would have to be made if there is no appliance-side fuse (as is provided by the UK's plugs). Maybe searching on that would lead you to an appropriate bit of definitive info?

A long time since I looked at this, but I think BS1363 comes into play. The main issue is that, with the ring main carrying 30A, the plug has to carry the appropriately rated fuse to protet the appliance.

Also, the sockets need to be shuttered.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations may also be the thing you are looking for.

A long time since I looked at this, but I think BS1363 comes into play. The main issue is that, with the ring main carrying 30A, the plug has to carry the appropriately rated fuse to protet the appliance.

Also, the sockets need to be shuttered.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations may also be the thing you are looking for.

Thanks......having researched this a bit more during the day, I am coming to this conclusion......

Watching this with interest. I'm impressed that you have not done what I would have been tempted with and asked for an electical report...

Watching this with interest. I'm impressed that you have not done what I would have been tempted with and asked for an electical report...

Next step....I wanted to be fairly sure of the facts first....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom