Euros

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
So do we think the pound is going to strengthen further against the Euro, or is 125:100 about as good as we expect it to get ?

So do we think the pound is going to strengthen further against the Euro, or is 125:100 about as good as we expect it to get ?

It will peak in 2 weeks...just as we board our plane...I hope.

I dont think there's any good reason to expect much more advance, if the eurozone suffers more the knock on effect will do the £ no good, so they could weaken in parallel.
Probably a good time to dive for the dollar.

Stuttgart's cash machines is where my Euro's just came from , certain museums and a beer festival is where they went , Croatia this summer so Kuna's for me..

The Kuna is very strong at the moment.

The Euro is on a cruising for a bruising and may in the end collapse should other member states also decide not to pay off their debts like it looks Greece will do.

Depending on how much the bank of England has invested in these debts will dictate how badly we are hit.

Depending on how much the bank of England has invested in these debts will dictate how badly we are hit.

Not necessarily just BoE...but rather all the other major UK banks, which of course are propped up by the state. There was a better chart more recently - sorry, can't locate it quickly - but this gives some idea. Greece alone is probably not a major issue for the UK, but the combined eurozone definitely is.

If you want to lock in now for your holidays then I would suggest a pre-paid Euro credit or cash card. I use Caxton fx but there are others. I have used it happily in cashpoints Italy, France and Spain as well as for hotels, restaurant and rail ticket purchases. Just recently it has been useful in buying items direct in euros from German suppliers, who charge more in some instances for a sterling transaction off their English language sites. Can't see why it wouldn't work with Amazon.de where some things such as mobile phones and other equipment can be much cheaper than in the UK.

The Greek situation will not help the Euro.

Unless you are actually going to Greece. Current advice from ABTA is that if you are going, take cash and take Euros as prices will drop if they pull out and the locals will be happy to take a hard currency like central bank euros.

however, low denomination notes only, 5, 10, 20 as you do not want a greek euro or dracma back in change!

m.

This will be the first year for almost 30 years that we almost certainly won't be going to Greece. Too much uncertainty, even for the most committed Grecophile.

I think this thread has inadvertently touched upon something which has been conveniently ignored by the main commentators so far. If Greece leaves the euro you'll have a two currency economy - a bit like Russia and E Germany in the past. The euro will still be essential to serious business there, and cash deals will be even more the norm.

I like to think of it in a very simplistic way.
If you wanted to invest in something would it be UK £'s or EU € ? Therefore for the foreseeable future the £ is strong.

Unless you are actually going to Greece. Current advice from ABTA is that if you are going, take cash and take Euros as prices will drop if they pull out and the locals will be happy to take a hard currency like central bank euros.
Wish I'd taken some pounds to Turkey back in 2010. Having loaded up with local currency prior to going, the shops and street traders were offering great deals for sterling! I had none with me!

Playing the currency markets is a mug's game.
However, my 2c worth is that the eurp will strengthen slightly in the coming 2 weeks. Now we know the greeks are having another election everyone will calm down a bit. If a non bailout party gets in then expect some depreciation in the euro. the germans perversely want the greeks to stay in the euro because it makes their exports so cheap in spite of what you may hear in the press and on tv. If the greeks leaves, the euro would appreciate and make german exports much less attractive.
On balance, I think a pause for a few days and then slight lurches downwards until the elections.

Ahh sorry didn't realise the OP wanted dollars!! :wallbash:

I don't, I need to buy euro for a holiday in July, question is, do it now or do it then. For the last 3 years we've been to the same place and the exchange rate has been nigh on 1:1.

I don't, I need to buy euro for a holiday in July, question is, do it now or do it then. For the last 3 years we've been to the same place and the exchange rate has been nigh on 1:1.

I know I was being sarcastic. :crazy:

if the rate goes up to 1.30 from 1.25, on £5000 youre going to miss out on €250... which to be honest you're probably €500 better off than you were a year ago already.
So if youre worrying that much, change it now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom