EuroTunnel Day Returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A query...

I need to book some tickets to Italy, and as I'm bringing my dog, was thinking of going via the eurotunnel as a pose to a ferry.

Looking at prices, I can buy tickets for the days I need for about £200 (including my dog's £30 extra) - or I could get 2x day returns for less than half that.

Has anyone tried this? I.e. A day return from folkstone to calais to go out (and not use the return leg) and another day return from calais back (again, not using the return leg) a couple of weeks later?

M.

They are supposed to be able to recharge you if they catch you.

I'd be more tempted to try one way 'return' by Eurotunnel and the same again back using a ferry...

They use number plate recognition. They will almost certainly spot you.

Do you have Tesco clubcard vouchers? You can exchange them 3 for 1 for Eurotunnel vouchers, thus cutting the cost to 1/3rd (which we recently did for a day trip). Just need to plan ahead - a week to get the vouchers from Tesco, then another week to make the phone booking and get confirmation.

They have ANPR at Folkestone but not at Calais (if you go for the "mam" sogn instead of the automatic machine sign. Don't know if they'd catch you with what you're talking about - never tried it!

Hmmm

Tesco - have a clubcard, but no points whatsoever... and no vouchers (rarely shop there anymore)

Ferry return - that's an idea, but I don't want to use the ferry as most of them force you to leave your dog in the car (all that I checked)... and I don't want to leave him underneath for 4-5 hours alone... even if it isn't the S-class :p

May just need to pay the £200...

4-5 hours...Dover to Calais???

Once you take into account boarding, disembarkation, and all the other associated time wasting activities - yups...

At least with the chunnel there's a dog play area for him to stretch his legs... that's one less stop on the road down...

M.

I did something similar on the ferry years ago and nothing happened. Do it and play ignorance if they catch you. I think is shocking they want you to pay twice for half the travelling.

Once you take into account boarding, disembarkation, and all the other associated time wasting activities - yups...

At least with the chunnel there's a dog play area for him to stretch his legs... that's one less stop on the road down...

M.

2 hours tops...if you're last on.

Thanks - last time I took the ferry the wait was appaling! (Admittedly, it was in 2000....)

So a query, if I arrived a few hours early/late to the boarding, what happens with the ferry? On the chunnel, I've just been boarded, and never been asked to pay more (in one case, 2 weeks early and with a broken leg :p)

M.

Mrs E does the Eurotunnel thing for clients all the time with no problem.

On the ferry - well, P&O certainly - priority board / disembarkation costs about £12. First on, first off, dedicated lane, etc, so that you can roll up a bit nearer the time rather than wait in the queue and get away quickly at the other end.

I arrived 2 hours early for a ferry at Dover, and was immediately ushered on to one about to depart...it wasn't even the carrier I was booked with...and no extra.

A very pragmatic approach I thought.

Mrs E does the Eurotunnel thing for clients all the time with no problem.
Interesting...

I was travelling together with two other bikes on a trip back from France. One guy I was with had done the two day returns bit to save a few bob and had a helluva time when we returned to Coquelles as they wouldn't allow him to board. After some considerable negotiation they allowed him on the train only after he'd paid the difference twixt the two day returns and the period return fare. Their start point was that he had to buy a single ticket to Folkestone at some exhorbitant amount.

Seems like it must be luck of the draw whether you get caught? Either that or Mrs E puts so much business through Eurotunnel they turn a blind eye? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom