Even the standard of spelling on TV has gone south .....

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
CLS 500 / A 150
On 'The Mint' last night (I was working the night shift and it was quiet, before anyone asks :rolleyes: ) one of the questions asked was :-

Make a 9 letter word from this combination of letters ....

' P A T N O N I M E ' ........ so, I racked my brains and couldn't come up with the answer ......

So then , Marjory Thicko from Dumbland phones in and says ' The word is Pantomine !!'

The presenter says, ' Lets see if you've won ...... '

I think to myself, ' What an idiot, there's no such word, it's Pantomime !! '

At which point the presenter shrieks ' That's it , you've just won five thousand pounds , well done !!!! ' :eek:

My God, what is happening on TV today ? can no-one spell ?

Last edited:

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
CLS63 AMG
Anyone stupid enough to call into that type of show is beyond help

Last edited:

High-Lo

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
KillerHERTZ said:
Anyone stupid enough to call into that type of show is beond help
:D

wallingd

MB Enthusiast
LOL!!!!!! You should see the English + punctuation put up in the resident's car-park regarding clamping fees. I feel like saying something to management. I generally find mis-spellings really annoying full-stop.

scumbag

MB Enthusiast
Car
Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
i was watching CH5's version. some blonde bint kept saying ring in with the answer, i want to give you £20k.

so we did, and each call cost 75p but do you go thru to the studio? no you dont, you go into a lottery and they randomly pick your number and ring you back. then they say, the more times you ring, the more chances you have got to be on.

i think the studio itself rings in, just to keep the viewers on ringing in getting the prize money up then they allow it to be won!

we never got rung back either.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
yea. mi 2...

an wen they, like, put apostofies in plaeces like shudent, hi's thing....

sorry. I'll get my coat.

Dieter

Car
2009 Jaguar XF 3.0D 'S'
Hi

It's vrey iterntsenig aobut sllinepg cos as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltteesr are crrceot tehn it can be raed :eek:

Ceerhs,

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
The spelling in my office is a disgrace. I look at the test forms and end up in stitches sometimes. Electrician has been spelt electrikan, electican, electrishan and various other ways too.
Overspeed Governor was spelt wrongly by a chap who has 2 grade A 'A Levels' as Oversped Guvnor.
I despair, especially as my grammar is not brilliant. No wot i meen

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Hi Howard,
If the standard of spelling has gone south, then are you including the south-west, and are you suggesting those in the south are better at spelling? :D :D

John the perfik spellah

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
I got a sistiphicate at skool fur spellin:D

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Geoff2 said:
I got a sistiphicate at skool fur spellin:D
I suppose Bristol is south of London, but to us your way up north!:p :)

John

DieselE

MB Enthusiast
Car
W211 E320CDi
scumbag said:
i was watching CH5's version. some blonde bint kept saying ring in with the answer, i want to give you £20k.

so we did, and each call cost 75p but do you go thru to the studio? no you dont, you go into a lottery and they randomly pick your number and ring you back. then they say, the more times you ring, the more chances you have got to be on.

i think the studio itself rings in, just to keep the viewers on ringing in getting the prize money up then they allow it to be won!

we never got rung back either.
The takings from these calls is a major source of income to the telephone company. There was an article in one of the newspapers recently saying that the TV companies are nervous of the games being reclassed as lotteries because they would then have to give some of the profits to charity.

DieselE

MB Enthusiast
Car
W211 E320CDi
Dieter said:
Hi

It's vrey iterntsenig aobut sllinepg cos as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltteesr are crrceot tehn it can be raed :eek:

Ceerhs,
"Is that their car there? No that's their car there". Just about makes sense. But can you say the same about "Is that there car there? No that's there car there". Every word is spelt correctly. :)

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
wallingd said:
You should see the English + punctuation put up in the resident's car-park regarding clamping fees.

Erm, assuming there's more than one resident that should be "residents' car park" !

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
DieselE said:
The takings from these calls is a major source of income to the telephone company. There was an article in one of the newspapers recently saying that the TV companies are nervous of the games being reclassed as lotteries because they would then have to give some of the profits to charity.
its an idiot tax :) long live this country where you can impose idiot taxes in get rich quick schemes :)

dare i mention the crazy frog and all those and still current ringtone scams :D

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
BTB 500 said:
Erm, assuming there's more than one resident that should be "residents' car park" !
hahahahaha :D nice one :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom