Eventful bike Ride to Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
Travelling to work this morning same as I do every morning. On a little economy / fitness spre so using pedal power. Crossing the roundabout at the top of the road from work some T :crazy:sser drove straight into the back of the bike. The bloke didnt look as her aproached the island. Proceded to drive into me and then as you can imagine with the fine upstanding citizens we have in this country he drove off not giving a flying f*** about my welfare.

Lookaly caught his reg and reported straight away to the police as hit and run.

WOW! I guess the main thing is that you're alive and well.. but be sure to get yourself checked out, head to toe.. as any injuries afterwards won't count. I hope the cops get this guy, once and for all.

Was there any company markings on his vehicle? perhaps you could give the company MD a call and report it to him and tell him you're taking action... just a thought.

Blimey. Are you OK? My mate came off his motorbike at a roundabout a fortnight ago when he twisted the throttle at the same time as applying the handbrake, first accident in 20 years he said ... but he bruised several ribs, X-ray showed them not cracked at least but he's been in continual pain ever since which has now spread to his back, and we now suspect his left lung may be collapsing. Whatever you do, get yourself checked over if you're in any pain

Madferrit said:
Was there any company markings on his vehicle? perhaps you could give the company MD a call and report it to him and tell him you're taking action... just a thought.

No just a plain dark blue/ green 400 series rover. But if anyone can get me a name / adress from the reg please drop me a pm :devil:

Post the reg here, we can at least establish if the number is genuine.

N415 NSU. Have already checked against the RAC data check.

fwb44 said:
Blimey. Are you OK? My mate came off his motorbike at a roundabout a fortnight ago when he twisted the throttle at the same time as applying the handbrake, first accident in 20 years he said ... but he bruised several ribs, X-ray showed them not cracked at least but he's been in continual pain ever since which has now spread to his back, and we now suspect his left lung may be collapsing. Whatever you do, get yourself checked over if you're in any pain

Yes, get yourself checked quickly. May be no visible damage but that sort of thing can creep up and result in problems later.

From something I saw in our local paper being knocked off a bike even by an opening car door can easily cause huge emotional suffering, post traumatic disorder syndrome leading to phobia of bikes, sleep disorders, a nasty case of dandruff and dhobi itch.

Only copious amounts of cash eased the distress of that victim.

The very stuff a personal injury lawyers dream of. The Compensation Culture awaits you, if you want to go there.

Motard said:
Have the police taken a statement from you yet or arranged to do so?

Yes it was reported straight away and is scheduled into their diary to see me when time permits which Im guessing will be a while as Im not actually lieing dieing in the road so its pretty low on priority.

Unfortunately it comes back to the biker thing, if you are knocked down it is better to stay down! The police have to be involved then. It is good advice for you to go to the hospital for a check up.

Thmsshaun

I'm pleased to hear you are OK, most road users are skilled, careful and considerate. Unfortunatly there are too many idiots on the road. Cyclists are particularly vulnerable and can be treated as second class road users by enough motorists to make cycling on our roads a challenge.

Have a look at the following cycling forums, you may want to post your experiences on the first one.

http://www.ragingbike.co.uk/
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/

Satch said:
From something I saw in our local paper being knocked off a bike even by an opening car door can easily cause suffering
I live in a city where bikes prevail (Cambridge is known as 'cycle city') among the student and local population alike. You knock a cyclist over here at your peril. They are militant. We don't have a cavalier or frivolous attitude toward them although I do wish at times they would behave with the same responsibility expected of other road users - using lights, observing the one-way system, keeping to the right side of the road, obeying traffic signals &c. Nonetheless their status here as a 'protected species' has taught me something about the vulnerability of cyclists to the aggression of car drivers, and I am careful not to use my car as a weapon, as the local police have it. Cyclists here do suffer in an accident of course, but if that accident involves a car, no more than the car driver

No sign of the police yesterday. (But I had a call at 10:30 saying they would be half hour)

Had another call this morning saying a patrol should be round at some point. So basically this guy could have been over the limit yesterday morning. Now of course he will be scott free.

Just had a statement from the police. Almost not worth bothering with. Could take 6 months for a claim to be processed but will take my bike for an inspection and see what I can get out of it. Hopefully the frame is twisted :devil:

Satch said:
From something I saw in our local paper being knocked off a bike even by an opening car door can easily cause huge emotional suffering, post traumatic disorder syndrome leading to phobia of bikes, sleep disorders, a nasty case of dandruff and dhobi itch.

Matelot?

One of my colleagues got knocked off his bike a few weeks back by a van. He broke both of his wrists. He had an operation and still has pins sticking out of them. Cyclists do come off worst when they collide with other moving (or not) vehicle/object.
As fwb44 said, a lot of cyclist in Cambridge do not observe any road rules and regulations. How often have I seen (or not) cyclists on their bikes in the dark with no light and wearing dark clothing, jumping red lights, cutting up cars, changing lane without signalling .....etc....

That is so true. But as can be said for all road users there a few who respect the other vehicle types on the road. Unles the people hold all licence types. ie Bike Car, truck and indeed cycle as well.

Cyclists can indeed be there own worst enemey. Going on the iside of a vehicle especially a hgv by a left hand junction. Its suicidal. However when I am on an island I would expect the vehicles on the left to giveway.

Still I am in a way glad it was the bike that was hit and not the car. The cost of bike repair minimal. The cost to repair me Free. The s cost of damaging my car :crazy:

Thmsshaun said:
The cost to repair me Free.

only 'coz you weren't hurt. You could have been very costly to repair or heaven forbid have been beyond repair!

But as you say - there are good and bad users of all modes of transport. We often have run ins with mountain bikers who think they own the track they are on and how dare walkers, dogs and horses use them.

Last edited:
i neally killed a cyclist in Norwich. 8pm sitting at lights at a crossroads in November 2002 and ,moved fwd on a green light, peeled to the left a right to turn and then i see someone infront of me go over their handlebars and hit my bonnet with their foot. Got out to find a uni student brushing themselves off in shock....he said what were you doing before i pointed out he must of hammered it away from the lights and was wearing a navy hoodie (up over his helmet - presumably to keep his ears warm???) and dark jeans with no reflective garments or lights on his bike. This was in a fairly poorly lit busy interchange.....

I have to admit i didnt see him at all and once he realised what i was sayin g he left with the customary fingers up and w@nker shout. I was left with a small dent in my bonnet and a severe case of the shocks/****. At no point would i accept that this was my fault...maybe i could of checked better but i did conduct what be considered a reasonable enough search by a road user.

I am apalled that cyclists are left free to roam around willy nilly following as many or as few safety measures as they like...yet as a motorist i must take an MOT, have insurance, risk points and fines for safety defaults like seatbelts or breaklights. Yet with all this it is me who would of been crucified in local press as a driver who knocked someone of their bike. I am just glad that they were not injured. Also they are lucky i didnt see the dent till daylight or i may of gone on a drive looking for them!!! :devil:

No just a plain dark blue/ green 400 series rover. But if anyone can get me a name / adress from the reg please drop me a pm

I've heard that if you write to the DVLA saying you bumped this car in a car park and, being a good citizen, would like to get in contact about it they can provide you with their address for you to write them. Or to go round and have a 'word' about running you over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom