Ever been impressed by another car ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
My S500 had to visit my indy to have some new brake pads and sensor fitted at the front the other day.

Whilst it was away, I borrowed my good lady's car. A Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Match. 8 months old, just under 4000 miles driven so far.

Took it to work on my usual 12 mile run.

Comfort was decent, equipment adequate. Not in any way into S Class territory but the surprise was this - 59.8 mpg.

Yep, nearly 60 miles per gallon from a 1.4 litre petrol engine. Well done VW :thumb:

As a direct comparison, we also have a 1.4 MK4 Golf. Doubt it would do 30mpg on the same run - and it's not that much bigger a car.

Engine technology has certainly moved forward a chunk in recent years.

Still love my V8 though ....

Dash display for all the doubters ...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 109
Methinks the Polo cost more to buy than the S Class when it came into your stable tho. I'm talking headline cost here at the point of purchase of each one.

So yes it does more lamp posts to the gallon than the S Class but cost more to buy? An expensive cheap car to run if you see where I'm coming from.

I sometimes think of downsizing to a smallish car on a PCP:ban: For all the right reasons too but the big old lumps that I run just have the "je ne sais quoi" that a tiddler could never have.

Methinks the Polo cost more to buy than the S Class when it came into your stable tho. I'm talking headline cost here at the point of purchase of each one.

Very true John.

The S500 was 10.5k but had 6 years of depreciation to drop it to that level. It lost around £50k in depreciation in that time.

The Polo was more but was brand new out the wrapper. If it loses £50k in 6 years then I'll be a rich man with the rebate :)

Spent nothing apart from insurance and fuel on the VW. As you know, I've fettled the S500's ills and problems over the years to get her back into a good state of mechanicals.

Overall, it's around even.

But, hey, quality costs a bob or two and the S500 is a mighty fine place to be at the moment.

So much so that another V8 is on the planning list to inhabit the garage :)

I borrowed a mates 911 Turbo a little while ago.

That impressed me somewhat. :D

I borrowed a mates 911 Turbo a little while ago.

That impressed me somewhat. :D

Howard

I like your style.

Dinosaurs died for a reason. Human enjoyment.

That's why I'm planning a nice V8 cabriolet for the 3 hours of sunshine we get in Glasgow each year.

You won't regret it ....

I keep looking at the £18k CLK63 on Ebay at the moment and thinking ....... Hmmmmmmm ..... especially after a nice feed of beer

What you need Steven is another four cylinders:D

You won't regret it ....

I keep looking at the £18k CLK63 on Ebay at the moment and thinking ....... Hmmmmmmm ..... especially after a nice feed of beer

Sell the A Class.

Makes it all the more worthwhile.

When I bought the CL I also bought a 12 year old Suzuki Grand vitara 4x4 for the winter months, one owner with 55K miles. This car impressed me, never misses a beat and NO RUST. The last Suzuki I had was a motorbike, that was also reliable and cheap to run.

I've only driven the Polo on rental a couple of times, but it really did surprise me too. I was expecting to hate the little thing, but really enjoyed my time in it. I've driven and owned other small cars - corsa's etc - but the Polo beat them all hands down. They also seem to last better than Golf's (from what I've seen anyway).

It's the perfect car if you need a small run around IMHO. I wouldn't buy new though personally, I'd go for a second hand that's had it's initial depreciation hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom