Ever fancied a trip to the Nurburgring? Here's a video...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do feel sorry for the driver with the camera who seemed to be very professional, quick to react and doing everything he could to avoid what he could predict was likely to happen. Then getting his car totalled from ensuing accident.

Having said that, I still want to go there, just to do it once, and tick the bucket list. But I would be drive at sensible pace using my indicators to allow every would-be racing driver to pass me.

Original clip posted must have been done on a potato cam

Here's the full clip on youtube:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Having said that, I still want to go there, just to do it once, and tick the bucket list. But I would be drive at sensible pace using my indicators to allow every would-be racing driver to pass me.

Me too but it will probably never happen.....I don't have any petrol head mates and my wife is not interested........I'm sure that there are more accident free trips around the ring than not - but.....there are 100s of idiots on that road trying to prove how fast they can go and if you (UK driver) get taken out by one of them, there is no recourse. Could be your car written off even hugging the right lane with your indicator on.... I've watch dozens of YouTube videos and most of the accidents seem to usually involve two people racing and or oil/water on the track --

You realise that every day around 1000 people (more at weekend) go on the Ring? Yes there are idiots but very very rare. When I went there was a great vibe and the crowds were great.
Was an amazing experience, would go again tomorrow.

You realise that every day around 1000 people (more at weekend) go on the Ring? Yes there are idiots but very very rare. When I went there was a great vibe and the crowds were great.
Was an amazing experience, would go again tomorrow.

Amen to that...

While it's not my thing, I completely get why people do it. Like any kind of motorsport or high speed driving it carries a small risk.

The trick....is to take it seriously, know what you're doing, and react the right way it something happens around you to mitigate the effect on yourself, those drawn into it, and those already in it. Respect to that driver who jumped out and started signalling to others to stop. Had he stayed in his car, or ran to "help" others, he could easily have become a fatality, as yet more crashed.

And enjoy ......... and don't forget that you're more likely to die in a motor accident five miles from home, in an urban environment than in that kind of shenanigans.

I have every intention of going to the 'ring one day. Would I take my CLS? No chance, not for fear of something like the video but just because I wouldn't want to risk it.

Would I take my old E320? Yeah why not, it's not a car I want to smash up but easier to replace and considerably cheaper. It seems that if you treat it like a country lane rather than a race track you should be fine in terms of handling your own car.

Amen to that...

While it's not my thing, I completely get why people do it. Like any kind of motorsport or high speed driving it carries a small risk.

The trick....is to take it seriously, know what you're doing, and react the right way it something happens around you to mitigate the effect on yourself, those drawn into it, and those already in it. Respect to that driver who jumped out and started signalling to others to stop. Had he stayed in his car, or ran to "help" others, he could easily have become a fatality, as yet more crashed.

And enjoy ......... and don't forget that you're more likely to die in a motor accident five miles from home, in an urban environment than in that kind of shenanigans.

The problem there was that the guy signalling was too close to the danger point and by the time the drivers spotted him, it was too late as is evident in the video. Traveling at 100mph+ Mr average driver is focussed on the road and would probably not have seem the signaller until too late.

I was on holiday in Germany a couple of years ago and my route home took me past the nurburgring
at the weekend..
In the SL top down on a nice sunny day. Oh well you've just got to haven't you?
Kathy and I , in our late sixties looking like an advertisement for Specsavers had a really wonderful experience. At the first corner we saw an accident ahead, and two more later on but driving sensibly ( quite slowly!) we had a uneventful circuit.
Kathy's comment was she felt safer at the ring than on the roads as no-one was coming the other way!!

A great bucket list tick

In the SL top down on a nice sunny day. Oh well you've just got to haven't you?
Kathy and I , in our late sixties looking like an advertisement for Specsavers had a really wonderful experience.

Specsavers or otherwise, I hope I'm that cool when I'm in my late sixties! :)

Im glad I decided to stay at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom