Ever had something too big to go into the hole?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
Not something I have ever experienced before unfortunately, but I spent half an hour at Tesco petrol station yesterday trying to fit the diesel filler nozzle into my E Class filler "hole". Appreciate there is some kind of mechanism to stop you putting petrol in the car by mistake but I had to use three different filler pumps before I found a nozzle that would fit in the hole! Most frustrating, ended up with diesel all over my hands (and the steering wheel) and being late for work. The lady in the kiosk seemed to indicate this wasn't the first time this had happened, not surprising as MB World is 1 mile away from the garage! These nozzles weren't the "HGV type", they were standard. Anyone else had a similar experience? :mad:

Nope - but then have boycotted Tesco's after being spoken to by one of their stuck-up-their-own-****s counter staff like I was a piece of crap because I filled two fuel cans with diesel before filling the car!! OK, so I was using one of their 5p off vouchers but the T&C's doesn't say I can't, it just says '1 vehicle'!!!

Stuff em, I use Asda now - invariably cheaper and I have an Asda Credit Card which gets us 2p off a litre every fill regardless!!

Ever have something too big to go into the hole?
I wish !!!!!! :D :D

Seriously - I boycott Tesco anyway due to the fact that the dreadful "Dame" Shirley Porter is the main heiress - she of the "Homes for Votes" scandal when she was leader of Westminster council.

Not only that, but I dislike the gradual takeover of every aspect of retailing which Tesco are steadily aiming for - large out-of-town Tesco stores, Tesco Metro in the towns, Tesco Express at a corner shop near you, Tesco mobile phones, Tesco Finance, Tesco Wine Club, Tesco Furniture, Tesco petrol stations.........where will it end?

It can only be a matter of time before we have the chain of Tesco Mercedes dealerships!

Are you sure you werent on the HGV lane? HGV pumps have large nozzles as the diesel is squirted out almost twice as fast.

No but found that many nozzles would clicked off at the slightest provocation so took ages trickling fuel in.

Eventually suggested that I hold it at 270 degrees (i.e horizontal to the ground with the pipe pointing towards rear of car)

Lo, able to fill tank in one go!

Seems this post has been turned into an "Anti-Tesco" rant. That isn't my point.

Are you sure you werent on the HGV lane? HGV pumps have large nozzles as the diesel is squirted out almost twice as fast.

Interesting, didn't know that! Wonder if they would work in my Vito? :)

As originally stated it wasn't an HGV pump

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, in the East end, as mentioned B4,
must be for a HGV,perhaps pump had a new nozzle put on and engineer was having a bad day.

It can only be a matter of time before we have the chain of Tesco Mercedes dealerships!

I sure hope so, they will sell them cheaper & the servicing rates will be cut, or you will get 3 services for the price of 2!

Russ

My other half has a BMW with the filler so low, you have to bend doubled up to reach the damn thing. I'm always finding this problem. It becomes ridiculous when you are inching the nozzle further and further out to get the petrol in without it clicking. Oh well!

I'm amazed you tried for 30mins?

Did no one come to help?

Seems very odd if you were parked at the normal car pumps.

If I understood, the problem was the nozzle being larger than the hole in the car. We have those big nozzles at places that are intended for lorries, it would take too long to fill up 1000 litres from a station for cars.

My understanding is that the small nozzle came with the low sulphur diesel, at least at my place. The G-wagen might accept high sulphur diesel and probably has a big hole for the tank. For some odd reason I have not filled other car models than MBs lately (for years), I would assume the same for all other new diesel cars.

The HGV Diesel usually comes from the same tank... We have a HGV pump here.. it just pumps the diesel out at an increased rate of around 40%..

If they werent HGV pumps then maybe they put the wrong nozzles on when servicing the pumps... Not likely though..

If they werent HGV pumps then maybe they put the wrong nozzles on when servicing the pumps... Not likely though..

If its a mile from Mb World it must be the Brooklands Tesco where recently they have serviced the pumps and i have noticed they have put new nozzles on there which are different to the ones from before so actually they could have fitted wrong nozzles, but as you said its not likely because with the amount of people that fill up from there everyday the staff must have noticed that there is something wrong or recieved complaints, unless thats how the nozzles are meant to be....

I've had trouble filling my car in Tesco's - both in Stirling and Aberdeen. You have to fiddle with the angle of the pump and fill gently.

I've had trouble filling my car in Tesco's - both in Stirling and Aberdeen. You have to fiddle with the angle of the pump and fill gently.
As mentioned earlier try rotating the nozzle - I always have it inverted (hose pointing straight up in the air) and it doesn't cut out until it needs to (no overflows either).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom