Ever had your own tankard at the local pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeeJayW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Just having an early evening beer in a tankard I was awarded at the end of my apprenticeship in ‘77. I haven’t done this for a while as I typically just use a glass. Anyway, it’s got me thinking about some of the friends I had back then, some of which I’m still in touch with whilst the majority have been lost in the mists of time.

At the time I got the tankard, it was fairly common for people to have their own tankard or glass behind the bar at their local pub (well it was out in the sticks where I grew up). I had a fairly plain one in my local, which came with me when I moved north in the 80’s. Sadly it’s currently in my dining room gathering dust. Might clean it and put it to good use tomorrow. 🤔

So, just wondering if others here had/have their own tankard in their local and if that brings back any memories to share?

The Liberal club I used to play snooker at back in Manchester when I was 15 had a fair few ‘mature’ men with their old tankards/glasses behind the bar. This was around 1988 so I’m guessing that was around the time when this tradition was dying?

I also have a tankard that I won at collage on finishing my apprenticeship. Named ‘The Cadman Trophy. Never drank out of it though, it’s in the loft in its presentation box. 🙄

Yep, I had a lidded pewter tankard at the tavern I frequented (it wasn't 'local' but was like my second home) and the barman hated it but the landlord's daughter ensured he filled it for me and that it was properly washed...

I had my own jar behind the bar at the Flint Gate. It was actually a litre but Eddy never cottoned on to it. Godawful beer though - Watneys.

I had my own jar behind the bar at the Flint Gate. It was actually a litre but Eddy never cottoned on to it. Godawful beer though - Watneys.
Watneys was pretty dire stuff. Our local was Ind Coupe (Allied Breweries), again nothing to shout about I was never a big fan of Double Diamond or other processed beers. Could get Courage Directors or Hook Norton in some pubs in the area, probably still can.

It's something I used to have and really miss. The rack of different jugs hanging from hooks above the bar added atmosphere, now sadly missing. Walking in to my local, barman/maid sees me and reaches for my jug (and probably knows what I want it filled with) added a lot to it being "my local". However, there are a couple of pubs we use that know I like a dimple jug and automatically get one when we walk in (in better times!), just wait for me to decide which of the real ales available today I'm going to have!

Yep, back in the late 1970's I had a pewter tankard at the "local" It wasn't that local as it was in the next village a couple of miles from home. But it was a friendly place and the walk there & back was bracing in the winter!
One of the regulars used to pi55 off the landlord big time. He didn't mind staying open after hours serving people how had been there for a good part of the evening. But this guy used to walk in at 10:50/10:55 and expect to be served. He was the local police chief constable so couldn't be refused!!
One evening at about 11:30 two bobbies came through the door hoping to catch after hours drinkers. They saw their boss at the bar and politely asked if all was ok then beat a hasty retreat.

Yep, back in the late 1970's I had a pewter tankard at the "local" It wasn't that local as it was in the next village a couple of miles from home. But it was a friendly place and the walk there & back was bracing in the winter!
One of the regulars used to pi55 off the landlord big time. He didn't mind staying open after hours serving people how had been there for a good part of the evening. But this guy used to walk in at 10:50/10:55 and expect to be served. He was the local police chief constable so couldn't be refused!!
One evening at about 11:30 two bobbies came through the door hoping to catch after hours drinkers. They saw their boss at the bar and politely asked if all was ok then beat a hasty retreat.
Reminds me of after hours lock-ins. Johnno (ex cop) ran the Wheatsheaf opposite the Nick. Got to know plenty of plod over whisky and darts.

I got one for my 18th in 1985.

I wanted one because all the regulars in my local had one and so I wanted to be like them. After a while I realised that I didn’t really want to be like them cos they were old fogies, didn’t pull any birds, slagged off Level 42 and frequently had froth in their moustaches.

I secretly took it back and chucked it.

Reminds me of many years (decades!) ago when I was doing a Uni summer vac field mapping project near Shepton Mallet, staying in a small village B&B and down the nearest pub most evenings. Come closing time (11pm those days) we used to adjourn from the bar that fronted the (country) road to the back bar, and keep drinking - but the first thing the landlord did was pull a pint and put it on the end of the bar nearest the door. Not too long later in would walk the local bobbie, say good evening, sup his pint and leave! Happy days!

No, but I was issued with my own enamel mug when I was posted to the Gulf many years ago, admittedly only used it for tea, though

...and your own pool cue/set of darts behind the bar.

That sometimes went missing. 🤔
Still have my darts, but I am truly useless at throwing them now. Was never especially good, but could at least hit the board most of the time. 🤣

The only reason I bought my own pool cue was because evetime a fight broke out in my local the pubs pool cues would be dragged into service and rarely survived.

The landlord got fed up of replacing them (he had given up on trying to stop the fighting ages ago) , having said that the pub issue cues were - when not snapped in half over some blokes head - rubbish and often had the tips missing. So the landlord made us buy our own.

Strangely not long after that the fights tended to not involve pool cues 🤔

The only reason I bought my own pool cue was because evetime a fight broke out in my local the pubs pool cues would be dragged into service and rarely survived.

The landlord got fed up of replacing them (he had given up on trying to stop the fighting ages ago) , having said that the pub issue cues were - when not snapped in half over some blokes head - rubbish and often had the tips missing. So the landlord made us buy our own.

Strangely not long after that the fights tended to not involve pool cues 🤔
The regular issue pub pool cue had a tip like a Chef’s hat anyway! 🤣

The regular issue pub pool cue had a tip like a Chef’s hat anyway! 🤣
My ole dad used to get me on the pool table and bet a few quid with my opponents. He loved it when I won but sulked like f#%k if I didn’t. 🥴

I never got any of the winnings but he did keep me happy with crisps and lemonade. Great memories tbh. 🥳

Tankards are for wimps .... up in God's Own County we used to have our own beer pump. ;)

Said William Hague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom