Ever had your own tankard at the local pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had my own jar behind the bar at the Flint Gate. It was actually a litre but Eddy never cottoned on to it. Godawful beer though - Watneys.
Are you saying you had your own 'jar' that held a litre of beer and the landlord never realised this when he was filling it up?? Golly gosh, gee whizz

My ole dad used to get me on the pool table and bet a few quid with my opponents. He loved it when I won but sulked like f#%k if I didn’t. 🥴

I never got any of the winnings but he did keep me happy with crisps and lemonade. Great memories tbh. 🥳
We had an ex pub pool table in the garden of our first house in 97.

It was initially bought for one of our popular summer bbq’s along with a life size Dalek that my brother built containing a mini fridge, optics and glasses.

My brother and I had one each with our names on that our dad bought us. Only problem was that our local had hand pumps and sometimes you'd end up with 3/4 of a pint.

Unfortunately, for the past 40 years, the nearest pubs to us have not been useable.
There was one, The Running Mare, but, one weekend the publican disappeared and it was turned into an Ember Inn, or something similar.

Now, the decent pubs are a car drive away

Unfortunately, for the past 40 years, the nearest pubs to us have not been useable.
There was one, The Running Mare, but, one weekend the publican disappeared and it was turned into an Ember Inn, or something similar.

Now, the decent pubs are a car drive away
We have a couple of pubs in the village, but I’ve not been a regular pub-goer for quite a few years now (lockdown notwithstanding). Mostly tend to go for a meal rather than just a drink.

when i lived in essex i had my own tankard at a pub called "the mole trap" in stapleford tawney. still have the pewter tankard with its antler bone handle
I haven't posted for years but have been lurking recently. I had to respond to this though, the Mole Trap was a big part of my childhood, my Grandparents had a house at the other end of Tawney Common and my Grandpa, like you, boasted a tankard behind the bar. I was sorry to see the pub permanently closed when I did a nostalgic drive past last summer and saw it for sale on RightMove not long afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom