Ever so slight oil leak from rear end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMuller

Car
C32 AMG
Hi guys,

Yesterday after the car had been standing for about 2 weeks, I noticed a small oil patch about the size of a pea what appeared to have come from the rear diff.

It's ever so slight but it looks like I have a weep.

Now I have bought 2 litres of gear oil for the diff (Mobil 1), but is there anything like a seal kit or anything I can order?

I am going to put it on a ramp tomorrow and have a proper look.

Car currently has 88k on the clock.

PS. Maybe I need a Quaife? :D

Ryan

Weep seems to be coming from here. Near where the hole is
2jb2m10.jpg

Check to see if it is coming from one of the axle seals and running down.
The easiest way is to clean all the oil off and check in a day or two.
If it is a 203 then I have some new genuine seals.

Also check the breather on top of the diff.

Looks like that could possibly just be the back cover plate. The seal is probably worn and allowing a small amount of oil to seap past. Not sure if there is a gasket or if it uses an RTV style liquid gasket paste. Not sure if that's a diff out job though, as they're pretty wedged into the subframe assembly!

I would say clean it off with some brake cleaner and a rag, and monitor it. Check the oil level (finger in the fill hole, if u feel oil with ur finger tip, it's got enough oil in). Check it after a journey to see where the oil is coming from :thumb:

Weeping diffs are common and unless there's significant oil lose then it's not a serious issue.

Keeping in mind also that diffs are pretty tough and not likely to suffer any significant wear due to small loss of oil.

The leak will usually be from the drive shafts, not the diff seal, but as others said you'll need to clean it then observe it to be sure.

In short it needs to be sorted, but unless there's a significant loss of oil I wouldn't consider it urgent.

Hello all,

really appreciate the comments, thank you.

I will clean it and take a look next week. Levels look OK.

I bought some Mobil 1 gear oil to top it up.

I spoke to MB today, turns out the cover plate just needs taking off, cleaned and a sealer (squirty, in a tube) applied and put it back together.

The tube from MB costs £20.

Can anyone recommend any alternative sealers to squirt on or shall I just get the MB one.

Ta
Ryan

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom